Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 9:33:49 PM EDT
I snagged one of these Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-107R AKs a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really need another AK, but decided I should get an imported AK before Inauguration Day because I'm fairly certain imported AKs will be kaput a lot sooner than later.
In any case, I took it to the range yesterday, got the iron sights sighted in, and put a couple of hundred rounds through it to get it broken in a little. It performed flawlessly and, other than the sub-par finish, it's the solid, functional AK I was hoping it would be. I'm glad I got it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that was a smart move.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that was a smart move.  Enjoy!
View Quote

Thank you, PirateEC!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
if you're a fan of the 100 series muzzle device, I bet you could still find a 24mm FSB. They're easy to install. That's what I would do anyway, I love the 74 style brake, it's really effective.

Looks great! You mentioned crappy finish, are these still having issues with solvents? I always use CLP, so I never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
What issues are you having with the finish?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a thing of beauty.

On the FSB, there are plenty of 24mm FSBs out there for purchase if you want to replace your current one, and it's not that hard. I replaced the standard FSB on my Romanian with a 24mm FSB (I couldn't and still can't find a Romanian 22mm FSB).

Option B is installing just the bayonet lug behind the existing FSB and you can get those from Dinzag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
OP.

Smart move on a very nice AK!

I think ex com-bloc is going to get very rare soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if you're a fan of the 100 series muzzle device, I bet you could still find a 24mm FSB. They're easy to install. That's what I would do anyway, I love the 74 style brake, it's really effective.

Looks great! You mentioned crappy finish, are these still having issues with solvents? I always use CLP, so I never had a problem.
View Quote

Hi. I don’t have a problem with using the current Ukrainian brake and adapter. I used a high-temp permanent  threadlocker to basically weld the two parts together.
Regarding the finish, I guess the real issue is with the application of the paint (it’s rough in spots) and it chipping off around the front sight protector ears which I assume occurred from a combination of less than gentle handling and the flimsy boxes Arsenal uses. The finish is, overall, not bad and it’s not coming off due to cleaning or shooting it. Weapons have always been tools to me so it was only slightly annoying to me to buy a “new” rifle and find that some of its paint had been knocked off. Others I think would have probably gone wild. Since it shoots straight and is reliable, I just touched it up with a matte black paint pen and called it a day. I put the word new in quotes because I purchased this AK from  K-Var not even two weeks ago yet the receiver bears a 2017 date code. Three years in one of those Arsenal cardboard boxes is a long time to survive without some scars! ??
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is a thing of beauty.

On the FSB, there are plenty of 24mm FSBs out there for purchase if you want to replace your current one, and it's not that hard. I replaced the standard FSB on my Romanian with a 24mm FSB (I couldn't and still can't find a Romanian 22mm FSB).
https://i.imgur.com/4jWYBbq.jpg

Option B is installing just the bayonet lug behind the existing FSB and you can get those from Dinzag.
View Quote

Thanks! It’s possible I may do that in the future, but, at least for now, I’m ok with using the thread adapter. It’s really not a hassle since I permanently bonded it to the brake. That Romanian of yours looks outstanding! ????
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree smart move for the reasons cited.  K-var has raised their price on that model at least $150 since the first of the year.  I believe Comrade Joseph may EO the imports out of existence first thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Arsenal AK...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What issues are you having with the finish?
View Quote

Hi, Carlos. As stated above, it’s mostly the fact that it didn’t hold up that well to apparently getting beat up a bit in storage and/or shipping. It’s really not that big of a deal and I wouldn’t normally have mentioned it except for the fact that this is the most I’ve ever paid for an AK by a few hundred dollars so it was initially a bit annoying, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP.

Smart move on a very nice AK!

I think ex com-bloc is going to get very rare soon.
View Quote

Thanks, Speedwinder! ????
I totally agree. Unfortunately, I think any former Soviet-bloc AK is going to be very desirable in the not too distant future. It’s disheartening to imagine what things are going to look like within the next year or two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I agree smart move for the reasons cited.  K-var has raised their price on that model at least $150 since the first of the year.  I believe Comrade Joseph may EO the imports out of existence first thing.
View Quote

I believe you are absolutely correct. That will probably be done on Day 1 of his presidency.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Hahaha That is frigging hilarious! ??
Corpsman!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hi, Carlos. As stated above, it’s mostly the fact that it didn’t hold up that well to apparently getting beat up a bit in storage and/or shipping. It’s really not that big of a deal and I wouldn’t normally have mentioned it except for the fact that this is the most I’ve ever paid for an AK by a few hundred dollars so it was initially a bit annoying, if you know what I mean.
View Quote

Who's Carlos?? haha  Lucky it's not Egyptian, the paint falls off if you look at it.  The Arsenal finish is not the best but if you take care of and use CLP to clean it and it will last a long time.  Not sure on this model but earlier ones are parkerized under the paint.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who's Carlos?? haha  Lucky it's not Egyptian, the paint falls off if you look at it.  The Arsenal finish is not the best but if you take care of and use CLP to clean it and it will last a long time.  Not sure on this model but earlier ones are parkerized under the paint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha Sorry! Got the names/replies out of sync. Yeah, I only use CLP for cleaning my weapons so I don't think I'm going to have any further trouble with the finish. I read about the parkerizing under the paint, but it's hard to say with this rifle. It was like a silver-grey where the paint was chipped off. It didn't look like a typical parkerizing, but who knows? In any case, my trusty paint pen took care of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice pick up.  I didnt realize those rifiles didnt come with the 24mm FSB, good to know.  I think of CLP more of a L and P and less of a cleaner -  I think a hoppies product is needed to really clean a firearm.  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice pick up.  I didnt realize those rifiles didnt come with the 24mm FSB, good to know.  I think of CLP more of a L and P and less of a cleaner -  I think a hoppies product is needed to really clean a firearm.  My $0.02.
View Quote

Thanks! Yeah, it's a decent rifle though, like most things firearms-related today, their price tag is definitely inflated and rising almost daily. Regarding cleaning, a good CLP used regularly will keep a firearm functioning just fine. If you want/need more than that, then Hoppe's et al. are the ticket. ??
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Arsenal finish is not the best but if you take care of and use CLP to clean it and it will last a long time.  Not sure on this model but earlier ones are parkerized under the paint.
View Quote

Paint seems to be a bit of a problem with many very nice AK's. I have an Arsenal Sam7-R that I bought new back several years ago. The paint on the outside is okay, but the paint on the bolt is now missing. No rust or problems with the rifle. I just make sure I keep the bolt clean and lubed.

I also have one of the very first WBP Foxes. It has somewhat chippy paint. I think WBP solved that problem on the newer Foxes. I really like my Fox and decided if the outside paint ever gets to bad, it hasn't yet, I will repaint it.

Several years ago I painted one of my AK's that I bought knowing it needed painted. Painting an AK was easier then I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
If you do decide you want a 24mm fsb, CSS sells a US made one for like $75. I just used it on a .223 Saiga conversion and am pleased with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you do decide you want a 24mm fsb, CSS sells a US made one for like $75. I just used it on a .223 Saiga conversion and am pleased with it.
View Quote

Thank you for the tip! I will make a note of that. ????
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top