Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:23:40 PM EDT
Title says it all
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
evaporust. You're welcome
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinegar is cheap. I always liked using that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If it’s fairly light, I’ve used Bronze wool and oil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
Vinegar is cheap. I always liked using that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Works great.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: got2haveit] [#5]
Cola, soak submerged. Depending on extent of rust damage check every few hours. Rinse with water to remove sugar, dry with air compressor or towel. Any damage / pitting from rust will be visible no matter what you use, cola just removes the rust
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You can make a light hydrochloric acid by mixing a little table salt and vinegar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
A while back I got a number of rusty AK mags at a gun show.  What I did was:

scrub off surface rust with steel wool and oil

wash off and degrease with hot water and dishwashing liquid, rinse with hot water then rubbing alcohol

apply naval jelly rust remover to the rust remaining in the deep pitted places, leave overnight, rinse with boiling water then rubbing alcohol again to dry and degrease

refinish with two coats of matte black BBQ grill paint and bake in oven one hour at 400 degrees

They were all mechanically sound before, and all worked fine before, but I did not want the rust to spread.  And I like the nonreflective matte black look.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Another trick for surface rust is to rub a ball of aluminum foil over it....wet it with vinegar/water and wipe dry after rubbing it.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've in the past used a brass case to remove the excess rust and followed with milcomm twb25. The rust has yet to come back. I was at a shop today and they used a brass brush and Lucas high heat blue gun oil. The guys said they had luck with this process with a bunch of Croitia AK mags they picked up cheap.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top