Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2020 2:50:27 PM EDT
I have a Norinco MAK 90 AK 47 that I'm putting a Texas Dogleg railed dust cover on.  I'm a fan of red dots and LPVO's (1-4x, 1-6x) on AR's.  I don't look at the AK as a long range shooter, but I do appreciate any magnification 100+ yards.  But I'm also a fan of lite weight and a 1-6x certainly wouldn't help in that area.  I've narrowed down to these possibilities.  Any thoughts from guys that shoot and train with AK's?

1. red dot - I favor the Holosun 512c or maybe one of their typical red dots with the circle dot
2. 3x Prismo scope - Primary Arms SLx 3x32mm Gen III Prism Scope - ACSS-CQB-300BLK/7.62x39 Reticle
3. 1-6x LPVO - Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope Gen III - Illuminated ACSS-300BO/7.62x39
4. Other?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Primary Arms MD-06 RDS on my modified Mak 90. Its mounted on an Ultimak railed gas tube set up. Works very well and I can hit a gallon paint can almost as far as I see one. Or be close enough for it to be a solid torso hit. Highly unlikely I'll be shooting anything beyond 100 yards in the HD/SD role though. But its nice to know things out to 200-250 are not out of danger.

Simple, dependable, accurate enough for its assigned task, and meets the light weight requirements.

ETA: The notion of "what is the best xxxxx" is a fools enterprise. What may be best for me, may not work for you....... just saying.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
mrgunsngear had the answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtSLVylgUY
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint T-1 or T-2 Micro
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I put an Ultimak on mine with a mini RD.  It works, and I'm sure entirely sufficient.  That said I would 1000x take a decent AR first.

Honestly I wonder if the AK people have actually drilled with both. It was pretty obvious to me which one was superior in about 100 rounds.  But opinions differ so use what you like I guess.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Acog, TA45 or TA47.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
HD and SHTF are 2 entirely different categories. I don't live in Windsor Palace, trying to look down the hallway of my house through a magnified optic is no joy. That being said, I'm also not using a rifle for home defense because my kid's bedrooms are on the other side of the house and in the direction I would likely have to be shooting in the case of a home defense situation, over penetration is a consideration I have to take into account.

Quoted:

I put an Ultimak on mine with a mini RD.  It works, and I'm sure entirely sufficient.  That said I would 1000x take a decent AR first.

Honestly I wonder if the AK people have actually drilled with both. It was pretty obvious to me which one was superior in about 100 rounds.  But opinions differ so use what you like I guess.
View Quote

You shoot and train with the AR more than the AK? If so, that's why you are better with an AR. An AR does have better ergonomics, but it's not some huge unspannable divide, it's just a matter of training a different manual of arms.
I got into AKs before I got into ARs and shoot AKs a good bit more, so I am faster on the clock with an AK than with an AR. It all just comes down to training and practicing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel red dots or HWS are ideal for the AK platform  I had a Sig Romeo 5 on my SLR-106 that was mounted in an Attero Arms Bravo mount. It worked very well. I currently have an MRO green dot on my PSA AK-V, which I really like. I did slap a CompM3 on it once and it just seemed giant. If you really like the Holosuns with their circle dot reticle, Midway currently has the HE530GC on sale for $375 with free shipping. It's their 30mm offering and seems pretty solid. I debated trying one on my AK-V but decided to stick with the MRO.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend the NPZ PKU-2.  They are cheaper than the chinese options most of you suggested, and built significantly better. Bear Optics has several of them on eBay for $250-ish.
Here is mine, fresh out of the box...
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
older post but why not

this might not be for you but I got a deal on a used Aimpoint 9000sc so figured why not. this is my modified SA93 I bought new back in the ban years, I added the texas dog leg like you are looking at because I didn't want to drill any holes so I could put it back to factory spec if needed. anyway, the factory mounts for the 9000sc fit nice and pretty low and you get Aimpoint quality and 50k battery life. they can be had used for around $200.00 give or take and come with 2 MOA dot or 4 MOA dot. just another option for you to think about?

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I opted for a Holosun 507c on a Attero Arms mount. It sits low and allows a good cheek weld.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm running an ultimak rail with a PA micro rds.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top