Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 12:21:07 PM EDT
I know, terrible time to be doing this, but what is the best option for getting an SBR AK47? I'd like something krinkish that I can shoot suppressed. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not very experienced with AKs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The easiest is probably a Romanian Draco pistol with 12.25" barrel or a Mini Draco with 7.75" barrel. Drill and tap the rear trunion for an ACE style folding stock and presto, you have a pretty good AK SBR.

https://www.carolinashootersclub.com/threads/mini-draco-many-upgrades.211527/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Da1r_quLMA
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what I did. Draco pistol to SBR. But to shoot suppressed you have to make sure the threads are true on the barrel and a KNS piston is a must. Mine threads were not true and I had a smith try to rethread the barrel 1/2x28 but that ended badly. Wound up changing out the barrel and added a KNS piston. Now this thing is one sweet rig. Drops the brass 3 to 4 feet from you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The absolute, best option would be a 7.62x39 Galil ACE pistol with a KNS piston.
If you can find either.

Concentric, common 5/8×24 muzzle threads, also really easy to swap the brace for a stock to SBR it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The absolute, best option would be a 7.62x39 Galil ACE pistol with a KNS piston.
If you can find either.

Concentric, common 5/8×24 muzzle threads, also really easy to swap the brace for a stock to SBR it.

View Quote

A Galil ACE is not an AK47, and it costs a lot more than most AK's. It's a nice weapon, but it's not what he asked for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
SAM7K-44.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
PSA AK-P?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Atlantic firearms sold some AK pistols with a picatinny rail attached the rear trunnion. You can attach a brace, or a stock after getting your stamp. Sig makes some nice looking modern stocks but many will argue they don't belong on an AK.

I sent my Draco to Troy Sellars at In Range and had the Russian sidefolder rear trunnion and stock installed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My current favorite AK is a Yugo M92 PAP with SB3 brace on it. Had barrel threaded to 1/2X28 and installed pic rail to top of dust cover to mount optic. Added KNS adjustable gas system so son and I can shoot it suppressed. Having barrel threaded took some doing but was worth it.

If you like pistol calibers, try a Kalishnikov USA KP-9. After much research, I just bought one today. It already has pic rail on dust cover to mount optic and best of all, barrel is already threaded 1/2X28 to easily mount suppressor or muzzle device of your choice. $999 right off their website, direct from manufacturer.  

Pretty easy to E-File a Form 1, and while you wait the 3-4 weeks for approval, research stock of your choice.  This is what I did with my CZ Scorpion.  

Good luck!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I SBRd my Draco C. Easy to do. Drill and tap two holes in the rear of the trunion, installed a folding adapter and bolted on the stock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Draco build- Form 1 a blank and send it off without stock to be built as a pistol if you cannot do it yourself.  Get your F1 approved and attach the stock.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Draco build- Form 1 a blank and send it off without stock to be built as a pistol if you cannot do it yourself.  Get your F1 approved and attach the stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/ABBFDECC-6D83-468E-9C28-0F68DFE3C2AA-1795728.jpg
View Quote

Nice setup. That's the path I want to send my Draco down, just a simple rear tang, allowing one to swap out stocks at will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PSA AK-P?
View Quote
Yes.

Or AK-V  9mm suppresses nicely.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I sent my Draco to Troy Sellars at In Range and had the Russian sidefolder rear trunnion and stock installed.
View Quote

Around how much did that service cost? I am just wondering I want to do this to a full size field.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
68 DRACO-C under folder installed, true to original design.

Original barrel, cheated with a jamb nut, slight angle filed on it.

Rotated QD and jamb nut until suppressor was centered, took some time, had to go through some heat cycles and rotations.

Perfect now.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A Galil ACE is not an AK47, and it costs a lot more than most AK's. It's a nice weapon, but it's not what he asked for.
View Quote

A Draco isn’t an AK-47 either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI: I emailed Troy @ InRange about working on my mini draco within the past week and he said he’s only doing builds at the moment. I’m local and just wanted to drop mine off.

ETA: I wanted to have a regular AKM rear trunnion installed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Around how much did that service cost? I am just wondering I want to do this to a full size field.
View Quote

$250 w/ return shipping. That was 8 years ago though. He may have upped his prices since.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big +1 for Troy. I highly recommend InRange.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
My z92 has worked well for me and it’s my only AK that has strait enough threads to use a standard .30 cal can

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Zastava ZPAP M92. The current Serbian pistols are the best AK’s ever imported in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Any AK pistol that you can get your hands on, honestly.

Keep in mind that some AK pistols are basically krink pistols which means smaller rear sight block and special small sized handguards. Barrel lengths for pistols will typically be 8-9 inches.
Some AK pistols are AKM pattern with shortened gas/barrel but normal size everything else- these guns use normal size AKM parts and can use stamped AK handguards, etc. Barrel lengths will be 10+ inches.

AKM pattern, take stamped AK handguards:
* draco
* wbp mini-jack and lynx
* PSA AK-P

krink pattern, take shorter krink handguards:
* arsenal SAM7K
* zpap m92
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Atlantic has these ZPAP92s!

Just got one of these myself.

Plan to do a side optic mount, probably SBR w/ right side ACE, ALG AK trigger, and some way to add a light.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top