Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2021 1:48:17 PM EDT
Can anyone share technical data regarding how folks in other countries clean the AK?
What chemicals, lubes ect?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears that most of them just rub sand on it until the sand stops sticking.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The translated Russian manual I have calls for alkaline water based cleaner followed by a light oil.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the Russian formula for AK cleaning solvent............

Soviet alkaline bore cleaner.

"Rifle bore cleaning solution is prepared in units in sufficient quantity for cleaning weapons over the coarse of a single day. Solution is composed of :
-water suitable for drinking-1 liter
-ammonium carbonate -200 grams
-potassium bichromate- 3-5 grams
A small amount of cleaner can be stored for not more than seven days in a glass container with tight lid, in a dark place away from heat source. The pouring of rifle bore cleaning into oilers is prohibited. "

Contrary to popular thought, if you're in the Russian military and allow your rifle to get rusty or badly fouled you won't like what happens.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
potassium bichromate.is an oxidizing agent...
I wouldn't think that would be a positive thing to use.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AubrayJ] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ringworm:
potassium bichromate.is an oxidizing agent...
I wouldn't think that would be a positive thing to use.
View Quote

The Soviet had an excess of potassium dichromate they needed to dispose of? Just a cursory search reveals that that's some nasty stuff. Maybe it was a way to weed out the particularly stupid troops?

AJ
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
It appears that most of them just rub sand on it until the sand stops sticking.
View Quote

No shit I’ve watched several Afghans, Kurds, and Iraqis do this.

Particularly on the piston. They grab a handful of sand, twist the piston back and forth in their hand like they’re chalking a pool cue until it’s shiny. then clean it up with a rag, followed by a wipe down of the rest of the gun (they’ll use kerosene for solvent if the need arises).

A couple shots of oil (not on the piston) and they’re done. Gun usually works fine.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top