Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2020 12:37:10 PM EDT
Are the steel Korean mags good to go?
I got ripped by their cheap 33rd Glock mag years ago but supposedly KCI fixed their issues, specifically with AR drums.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh... FWIW... you can still get combloc mags from Aim and others, Bulgarian, Croat... I'd buy those first.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My sample size of 1 20 round KCI mag, no, they are not good to go. It didn't fit in my Russian or Bulgarian rifles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a distinction between KCI and "KCI USA" magazines. The KCI USA labeled ones are those with the improved welds and improved strength.

The old KCI mags that earned the (deserved) bad reputation are the ones that were matte gray and very flimsy.  The newer KCI mags (that were better than the gray, but still "meh") are gloss black and less flimsy but still not COMBLOC thickness.

The current KCI USA mags are an improvement on the gloss black mags in terms of metal thickness and strength of the welds. Look for the "GEN 2" packaging, as those are the latest and greatest.

I have had 3 of them in rotation for about a year as range beaters and their performance and durability has equaled the COMBLOC surplus mags that are in my range rotation....but truth in advertising, I don't beat on them as hard as some people do (hammering nails and all sorts of shit unrelated to feeding cartridges).

Pic of Gen 2 packaging stolen from the interwebs:
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 5 KCI's from AKOU [nj 10 rounders] and they fit better than the mag supplied from riley . I also bought a x tech tact. 10/30 which fits great too. No range time on them yet
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:specifically with AR drums.
View Quote

Just remember that there are several different manufacturers of Korean magazines, all different factories with similar designs. Retailers in the US for some reason blur the lines between the makers, or don't even list the manufacturers, calling them "Asian military-grade manufacturer", etc.

KCI used to produce both the metal-back and clear-back 75 round drum mags.  The metal-back ones were essentially the same as the Chinese design (and the "Romanian" design), but with much smaller spot welds. These came in plain-brown cardboard boxes with brown paper packaging. There are a couple of posters on ARFCOM who have detailed their experiences with these drums; BLUF, under heavy use some of the spot welds have popped.

Old KCI drum in the brown box:
Attachment Attached File

KCI USA only makes/sells the clear-back drums currently. They've changed the composition of the plastic back in the last couple years to be more flexible and less prone to cracking/breaking like the earlier versions. I don't have any of these, and I haven't paid attention to if anyone has been torture testing them.  I do know that KCI USA was giving away a bunch of these drums to participants at Red October a couple years ago and there were a number of youtube reviews of them, but I don't know of any long-term follow-up reviews or anyone who is using them hard enough to know how durable they really are.

Current-sale KCI USA clear-back 75 round drum:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Red, White, Blue (RWB) also makes a version of the metal-back Chinese/Romainian design drum, both in 75 round and 100 round versions. This is the one that is currently available from places like Classic Firearms and is in a full-color printed box (green colored box for the 75, red colored box for the 100).  When comparing the RWB drum to the old KCI drum, it is evident that there are manufacturing differences between them even though it is essentially the same design.  The RWB drum seems to have more robust welds than the old KCI metal-back drum, but I haven't seen any evidence of people destruction-testing them.

Current RWB 75-round drum green box:
Attachment Attached File

Although I own a bunch of the old KCI and new RWB 75 round drums, the only ones I've used are the old KCI metal-back drums. They don't seem as robust as the Chinese/Romanian ("Red Army Standard") drum, but I also haven't broken any of the welds on mine.  I damaged the back on one when I dropped it, but I was able to hammer it back into shape with a peen hammer and a little bucking bar.

If I had the choice between the Romanian drum and the Korean drum, I'd take the Romanian.  If I had to pick one of the Korean drums, I'd take the RWB.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top