Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 10:47:18 AM EDT
I’ve been out of the AK game for awhile, but I still own my SAR-2 in 5.45x39 and will never part with it.

Anyhow, I am also interested in a Zastava M70 with wood furniture for a classic look. My only hold up is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. Is this an issue? Likewise, if I want to run a can, do you folks have success using a KNS gas piston with these rifles? I guess it would merit a Deadair Wolverine or the like, as opposed to a Surefire SOCOM (which I own now). Also, does anyone know if these Zastavas take a Yugo Bayonet?

I may just wait for the PSA AK with the FN barrel, but I rather have an Eastern block made gun. I really wish Arsenal didn’t have so many issues from what I’m reading on the web. I also wish the Poles were importing kits as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Corosive ammo which can still be found.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My only hold up is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. Is this an issue?
View Quote
No.

I really wish Arsenal didn’t have so many issues from what I’m reading on the web.
View Quote
They're fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an AK but my father still has a yugo sks he got quite a few years back, after thousands of rounds, the barrel still looks good. Although I did clean the barrel after every range session, and made sure it was well oiled when stored.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone known if these Zastava M70s take a bayonet?

Has anyone run them suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering a semi-auto AK being used in a temperate climate (non-tropical) and assuming good maintenance and non-corrosive ammo, there is really no need for the chrome bore. After all, there were no chrome bores on U.S. rifles in WWII and plenty of them are still around with their original barrels. However, with the AK and AR, I still want the chrome bores because that's what the military ones have - not a great reason but there it is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering a semi-auto AK being used in a temperate climate (non-tropical) and assuming good maintenance and non-corrosive ammo, there is really no need for the chrome bore. After all, there were no chrome bores on U.S. rifles in WWII and plenty of them are still around with their original barrels. However, with the AK and AR, I still want the chrome bores because that's what the military ones have - not a great reason but there it is.
View Quote
Yugo 7.62x39 rifles have never had chrome lined bores, just CHF barrel hot blued, and their ammunition was corrosive up until the mid 90s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
True, but all the others were chromed. And, the original chromed military barrels add a lot of value to kit guns like my AMD65 because they are no longer allowed in imported kits. But again, there is no technical necessity for it with a semi-auto using non-corrosive. The bi-metal bullet jackets of imported ammo is as soft as copper and will not wear the barrel any faster.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top