Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 3:03:21 PM EDT
Just picked up a PSA side folder and want to take it hunting for pigs. Any decent short mags available that folks have had good luck with?

I see the KCIs but it seems those get mixed reviews. Are the Magpuls g2g?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have about ten PMAG 20 rounders. No issues yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
KCI 20rds and 10Rds and Magpul 10 and 20rds are great. Order them on www.gunmagwarehouse.com
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hungarian Tankers are true surplus grade mags, best option.
But pricey these days and have been for a while. A tight fit in my WASR & Draco but a prefect fit in my AK63 DS.

Have had good luck with old Tapco 20s but they’re out of business unless their new owners are making more.
Magpul 20 round MOEs are good for a poly mag. Cheap, easy to find, good feed geometry.
As are the KCIs. I know they’re thinner steel than surplus but that’s not as big an issue with 10s & 20s.

One big plus for Magpuls and KCIs is they seem to fit all my AKs without any filing or fiddling.

One other option is cut down surplus 20s if you can find them. I cut down a dented surplus mag and while it works fine, It was a half day project for me. A guy on AK Files called Bad Element was cutting down surplus mags, not sure if he still does. And Arms of America had a batch of Grade 3 Romanian mags cut down to 20s, I grabbed some for a few bucks less than Tankers and they were done well.

Also have some Croatian 10s, not available in 20s, they’re OK but be ready to file, mine were made to two different specs, like they came from different factories or assembly lines. Heavier gauge steel than KCIs though but not as heavy as surplus.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Hungarian tankers are definitely the go to 20 rounders, but for light use I wouldn't have a problem running the Magpuls.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]
KCI gen 2 from AKOU no issues with fit or feed
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KCI gen 2 from AKOU no issues with fit or feed
View Quote

I just received a couple KCI 20 rounders and they seem to be very good. People say the steel is a thinner gage but I cant tell the difference between it and other steel mags. The follower is steel also and I prefer that to plastic.

Time will tell how well they function but for $10 I thought it was a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a few of the Magpul and KCI (South Korean) 20 rounders and they seem to function fine in my rifles. I am a big fan of the Hungarian 20 round tanker mags and they are my preferred mag when they can be found. I actually prefer a 20 round mag than a 30 round mag, maybe because the ammo comes in boxes of 20? I even prefer them on my AR's??
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a few more Hungarians. I think I have 5 now. I should try the KCI 20.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got a few more Hungarians. I think I have 5 now. I should try the KCI 20.
View Quote

Where did you get them? I only need a few so I might grab some.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where did you get them? I only need a few so I might grab some.
View Quote

Arms of America
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Arms of America
View Quote

I also picked up a few Hungarian tankers from Arms of America. The mags are in good shape but the front lug on 2 of the 3 mags is noticeably smaller than on the 3rd magazine. They snap in just fine but I have to be deliberate about it. Not sure if this is normal with these mags, but I'm considered returning them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I also picked up a few Hungarian tankers from Arms of America. The mags are in good shape but the front lug on 2 of the 3 mags is noticeably smaller than on the 3rd magazine. They snap in just fine when I'm deliberate about it. I'm not sure if this is normal or expected with these mags.
View Quote

I’ll have to dig out my old ones and compare them

ETA
The front lugs on the newer Hungarians I have are definitely flatter than my original batch of 3 from 10+ years ago. They lock in fine, but they are definitely different
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just received a couple KCI 20 rounders and they seem to be very good. People say the steel is a thinner gage but I cant tell the difference between it and other steel mags. The follower is steel also and I prefer that to plastic.

Time will tell how well they function but for $10 I thought it was a good deal.
View Quote

Tried it yesterday and the KCI 20 rounder worked 100%.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ll have to dig out my old ones and compare them

ETA
The front lugs on the newer Hungarians I have are definitely flatter than my original batch of 3 from 10+ years ago. They lock in fine, but they are definitely different
View Quote

Glad it's not just me. Whatcha think? Worth keeping or return or exchange?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Glad it's not just me. Whatcha think? Worth keeping or return or exchange?
View Quote

They still seem to lock up solid, I think I am going to keep them, but I will try a KCI 20 next

Had I bought 5 or more, I would definitely be a bit disappointed . I’ll try to get some pictures up tonight so ya’ll can decide for yourself!
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top