Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2020 4:32:41 PM EDT
I "found" these cleaning out my garage.

The box got wet, but the ammo is in these milk carton type packages.  Pretty neat stuff. I got them from a guy a long time ago in a lot of random ammo he was selling.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the box got wet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like the box got wet.
View Quote

Quoted:
I "found" these cleaning out my garage.

The box got wet, ....snip...
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
that is how  TULA 7.62x39 ammo originally  can packaged in, circa 1994/1995, 20 rounds in a white boxes.  way before they started packaging them in colorful  20 round boxes and giving it hokey brand names like WOLF, BROWN BEAR etc...

I believe I have one or two of those "battle packs" wrapped in beige heavy  waxed paper, somewhere in my basement
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The early Russian 7.62x39 imports ('92-'95) were made by Ulyanovsk and Klimovsk. Tula made "Wolf" did not come until a few years later. The "milk carton" packs generally contained Klimovsk manufactured ammunition IIRC. An interesting bit of ammunition history as this packaging came about as a result of Russian experiences in Afghanistan, but not especially collectable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
8HP ammo is the precursor to 8M3.

Look up Ulyanovsk 8HP on YouTube to see how it performs in ballistic gel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8QbWz5neI

DO NOT waste it as range blasting ammo !!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
All the "8HP" means is that the projectile is an 8 gram (123 gr.) hollow point. These early rounds are nothing special. Bimetal jacket, lead core, small plastic plug in the base making the projectile CG towards the front, and a shallow hollow point that makes this round function more like an FMJ. It is blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8HP ammo is the precursor to 8M3.

Look up Ulyanovsk 8HP on YouTube to see how it performs in ballistic gel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8QbWz5neI

DO NOT waste it as range blasting ammo !!!
View Quote

I miss the days of $79 a case wolf
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
The 93 dated stuff I have has a mild steel core FWIW...
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 93 dated stuff I have has a mild steel core FWIW...
View Quote

Some "711 92" and "711 93" headstamped hollowpoints are known with a steel core, but the cores are hardened steel. These were leftover projectiles from the "enhanced penetration" ball ammunition project the Russians were working on around that time. The boxes were conviently marked "SC HP" for "steel core hollow point". Somehow these got overlooked by the .gov when they were imported...
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top