Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2022 7:31:45 PM EDT
There are a number of steel cased ammo outfits from Eastern Europe. Tula, Barnaul, etc.

Is the steel cased hollowpoint ammo more accurate than the fmj ammo? Ex: Tula fmj vs. Tula hp.

Is the steel cased softpoint ammo less accurate than fmj and h.p?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Until the question is answered in a laboratory setting using machine rested test barrels and rotation of ammo through all the barrels, and all other variables are reduced to as near to zero as possible ............. anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the gun.  My ruger american and Aero M5E1 both shoot the barnaul FMJ under 2MOA.  They'd probably do better if I would take my time.

Some guns may prefer one load over another one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There definitely is a difference.

Maybe more in some guns than others, but I have seen groups shrink or open up switching between different factories and types of ammo in an SKS.

I was zeroing an SKS for a guy one day at the range and we got it on paper with FMJ and then I shot some other brand of Russian Hollow Point because that was what he intended on hunting with.

It was a much smaller group and about a 4 inch change in the point of impact vs the FMJ's made in a different plant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
@Bighunt: Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Among all the variables with ammo brands, I have not found much difference between FMJ .vs HP .vs SP...etc. X39 is generally abysmally inaccurate.

But, I have had different results between brands. Barnaul is among the better loads for accuracy (around 3MOA for best 5 shot groups using a 10X scope) but there are differences in lots.

Unfortunately, when I find a good lot of ammo, it is impossible to find again. S&B HP ammo shot great then disappeared. I havnt seen it since. Then Barnaul FMJ with the red painted, sealed bullet and primer shot great...havnt seen any since.

If you are trying to get the most accuracy out of an AK in X39, I'll meet you at the bar, drowning my sorrows...
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The short version of the answer is to try what is available to you in your rifle (s) and see what gives the best accuracy. What is reasonably accurate in my rifle may not be in yours...

The differences in accuracy potential between the projectile types is not that great, keeping in mind this is not ammunition intended to be particularly accurate, nor are AKs and SKSs.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top