Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2022 1:01:36 PM EDT
Bought a new ATI Galeo 13" SAR chambered in 5.56. I watched a video talking about headspace and it got me to thinking. The guy seated his bbl and headspaced it. He had his bolt a little tight and he made a statement about it loosening after some firing and "settling in". Made me wonder if it is tight on 5.56 and would settle in would it, in theory, be "better" to break in for settling in with .223 with shorter case neck?  Or would you want to break in with 5.56 and then rock on with .223?  Maybe this is stoopid or a silly question. Just tryin to learn....
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#1]
Think you're over thinking it. Put 500 rounds through it and see what you get. I used steel because I reload and since they're usually over gassed anyway it still seemed to work harden the steel receiver.

Better get to shooting before the warranty runs out
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean & lube it and go shooting.
Save your brass and take a look at it for anything abnormal.

If headspace "grows" quickly its usually a sign of something wrong.
Bad bolt fit / lug contact, receiver hardness, etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
Think you're over thinking it. Put 500 rounds through it and see what you get. I used steel because I reload and since they're usually over gassed anyway it still seemed to work harden the steel receiver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Originally Posted By JKH62:

Sometimes I need someone to help me realize I am suffering from analysis paralysis....Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
.223 and 5.56 cases are identical.

Slightly tight headspace is ok.  Long headspace could lead to case ruptures and be dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
.223 and 5.56 cases are identical.

Slightly tight headspace is ok.  Long headspace could lead to case ruptures and be dangerous.
View Quote

Thanks. I fired it a few times the other day and d no issues. Then the freakin rain set in. Pretty sure we have had a legit 10" in the last few days. Range has to dry now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
@MSOGDAWG

How's it running? I'm interested if you'll be the first one on here that hasn't had to send his back.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The few times Ive fired it it has been fine. So far it has been with Tapco mags only. Learned a few weeks ago my Pops has cancer so range time has been limited. Hope to get it out for longer more rapid strings of fire. Will report back tho.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTF-B] [#9]
Originally Posted By JKH62:

View Quote

Mine throws brass so far down the range, forward and to the right, that I'm consistently hitting adjacent targets. I think I am more accurate with the brass than with the projectiles.

Bought a used one yesterday, then went behind the store to range to shoot it.  Fired with both Tapco and surplus mags. No jams, to issues. I grew up with 20 inch barrels, then shot everything from 21.5 inch, 18 inch, and 16 inch, but this was my first with such a short barrel. Even compared to "Enforcer" M-1 Carbine pistol, it was....Loud and percussive! Perhaps attaching a stock and SBR'ing it will reduce the perceived percussion.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top