Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 1:47:49 PM EDT
Ok, so I'm a long time AR guy, but going to buy an AK to satisfy my curiosity.  Can you resident experts direct me (links appreciated) to a decent AK for a budget price?  Looking to buy today while sales are on.  On my short list are two Century Arms AK's.... the GP WASR 10 and the VSKA.   If either or both suck feel free to let me know.  I've seen mixed reviews, but not wanting to spend an arm & leg, I thought either would be good.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the WASR 10, they are GTG.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
izhmash
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
WASR 10 is GTG.  
Under no circumstances should you buy the VSKA.
James Yeager and Tim from Military Arms channel were attempting to do a 5k round test with a pair of these.
Neither made it to 1500 rounds without serious issues.
You can look it up on YouTube if you want to see the carnage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The WASR is a good rifle, unfortunetly their prices have been going up, so if you could find a deal on one that would be great.  If you aren't against buying a rifle built from a parts kit, Lee Armory has some really nice rifles.  I bought my Rommy G rifle from them last year during Black Friday and have been happy with it.  Link to Lee Armory Black Friday deal: https://www.leearmory.com/product/romanian-g-garda-akm-w-original-chf-barrel-lee-armory/
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Century RH10 also. There's some floating around sub 700 bucks right now. It's essentially a WASR with a front sight combo gas block.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help!  I opted for the WASR 10 for $649 on sale.  Now if anyone has a suggestion on decent quality / priced ammo I'll be checking in.  I usually use Target Sports or SG, but I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I pretty much just use SG anymore. Good prices and they ship quick.

Get some of the Tula 8M3 for a defense round.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy the cheap steel cased stuff, lower price is better.  Still it's expensive where I live, no matter how "cheap" it is
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a WASR/RH10, NPAP or even PSAK

Since you asked about bulk ammo - Tulammo and Wolf are the typical bulk 7.62x39.

Wolf is currently filled by Barnaul and IMO Barnaul puts out the best steel case 7.62x39 - they are also the same plant behind Brown/Silver Bear.

Tulammo is okay but generally loaded a little light. The Ulyanovsk plant currently filling Tulammo lots also has had issues with bad primers in the past.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top