Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 1:40:05 AM EDT
I'm not an AK guy but was looking for a quality AK. My budget is around $1200 plus or minus. I was looking at the FM Vepr and the SAM7. Any other good AK's out there?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can find a Definitive Arms DAKM-4150 near your budget price that would be a great one to own. Haven’t seen one for sale for ages
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal stamped

107fr
107cr

Arsenal milled

Sam7r
Sam7sf

Or get a a new gen Romanian Wasr for $600-$700 and spend the rest on ammo and mags
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can find one, SLR-107 CR
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find one, SLR-107 CR
View Quote
There are everywhere

Kvar
Gunbroker
Market place
Atlantic firearms
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Arsenal SAM7R or Fime Group Vepr.

I've got one of each,  and they're outstanding, but two very different,  rifles.

If I had to choose which is the  "better" of the two,  I don't know if I could; they're just different.

Either one will make an AK guy out of you.

Let us know what you've decided; good luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Arsenal or one of the WBP builds from Atlantic...I honestly might swing towards the WBP build for that sweet Radom barrel...

And dealing with Atlantic CS instead of Arsenal in case there's any issues...like the finish cooking off.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Arsenal or one of the WBP builds from Atlantic...I honestly might swing towards the WBP build for that sweet Radom barrel...

And dealing with Atlantic CS instead of Arsenal in case there's any issues...like the finish cooking off.
View Quote
Everyone complains of this but its the bulgy .mil finish. Dare I say mil-spec......
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, I found a SAM7SF in the mid 1200s and a SAM7UF 1200 locally.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everyone complains of this but its the bulgy .mil finish. Dare I say mil-spec......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it's the mil spec finish; paint over park.

Mine has been holding up fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
never had a problem with the Arsenal paint job, but AKOU proved it it an issue when you get it very hot. Also certain gun cleaners will remove it. I've had bot hstraight and crooked Arsenals, so if you can veryify beofre you buy, that would be best. For the price, Wasr is king but changing the cheap furniture to some true wood is a must for me. Currently my only AK is a Atlantic Polish (11) builr. The finish is outstanding, Radom CHF barrel, and its super straight and nicely riveted. I chose this over an SLR107fr and don't regret it. But any of these will do you well. A SAM7R was the nicest shooting AK I ever had though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sam7sf for the win
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, never had an issue with any of mine either. Just use the correct cleaner.  Got one hot enough it melted into the bumper when I leaned it on my Jeep. Scraped the plastic off the barrel with no signs it ever happened.  Now the paint on a Maadi is a different story, it chips off if you look at it wrong
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

Going on 5 years and it still looks good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The AK import market has been shrinking over the last few years , The WASR is a solid choice for those looking for a basic AK at a lower price point. The Arsenal SAM7 Milled AK is one of the nicer top tier rifles if looking for a milled unit . For those looking for the middle of the Road price but top of the line quality the Polish WBP based rifle offerings have been very popular for the last 2 years . We offer a wide variety of Kalashnikov based AK47 Rifles for sale & we try to stock more unique items that appeal to a wide variety of AK shooters.

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/polishchildrifle-3-of-3-jpg-product.jpg
View Quote
I really really want to grab one of these when they come back in stock but I just don’t think I’ll have the cash by then
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the SAM7SF, got it for 1300 after every fee you can think of. Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went with the SAM7SF, got it for 1300 after every fee you can think of. Thanks for the help everyone.
View Quote
Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMHO, you did the right thing!!!  I have one that is a UF and it is my favorite.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top