Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2023 11:30:49 AM EDT
I’ve never owned an AK, partly because the indoor range where I’m a member doesn’t allow steel cased ammo. That made 7.62x39 a bad option.

I saw a PSA 5.56 AKM on sale for one of their “Daily Deals” and figured it was time to take the plunge and give it a try. I know some have had issues with 5.56 chambered AKs from PSA, but the cost was low.

Rifle hasn’t arrived yet but want to get set. I see that the front sight on the AK is adjustable for both windage and elevation and most people use a low cost tool that does both.

Any recommendations for a decent quality sight adjustment tool? Some of the ones I see for sale list 7.62x39 in the description. Does the caliber matter? Are there tools specific to rifles chambered in 5.56?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally the adjustment of the front site was an armor level adjustment.

They are not caliber specific.

Some of the more simple adjustment tools only have the ability to adjust elevation.

I use the Tapco which has a small press that allows you to move the drum to adjust windage, and the post for elevation.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Best tool I’ve used is the magna-matic
https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/Magna-Matic-Defense-Front-Sight-Adjustment-Tool-AK-47-SKS-Steel-Magna-Matic.htm

It’s overbuilt but works great, as far as adjusting:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRGM7OvjSE&pp=ygUZQWsgZnJvbnQgc2lnaHQgYWRqdXN0bWVudA%3D%3D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOVcs96Jd6Q&pp=ygUZQWsgZnJvbnQgc2lnaHQgYWRqdXN0bWVudA%3D%3D

Knowing PSA it’s very likely it’s zero’d from the factory but here’s all you need to know!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they covered tools. You can also get a RPK style rear sight for windage adjustments if you want to keep the front post centered. Just depends on how far off it is when zerod
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Just depends on how far off it is when zerod
View Quote

Honestly I’m more concerned with the FSB being canted. That’s a big issue with PSA.

But maybe things will be all good. ??
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly I’m more concerned with the FSB being canted. That’s a big issue with PSA.

But maybe things will be all good. ??
View Quote

I don't know if it's a big issue with PSA rifles, but I can tell you it's occasionally an issue for all makers of AK's (especially Romy's).

Thankfully it's super-easy to fix, i'm a little ocd myself and it would bug me to leave it that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It's mallet adjustable. Also, there's cheapie sight tools that will bend the front sight post. You may want to remove pins before (push them out), and reinsert them afterwards during the task.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up buying the Magna-Matic. Should have it on Monday.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top