Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 2:13:31 PM EDT
Currently in the process of a pretty awesome build.  I'm going to use this thread as a place to drop updates if you care to follow along.

First box arrived today.  Circle 10 AK parts kit.
JMAC 14.5" barrel (can't wait to see this barrel), GB/FSB combo, sandman break and stock adapter are on the way.
Might look rough now but Kris over at KM3 Solutions will fix that.  He's going to do the building and come up with a cerakote plan.

No, this will not be a traditional build.  But it will be awesome.  I'm excited to share the progress.

Circle 10 AK Romy G by Damage Photos, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
always in for a build thread
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck man, I love building aks and parts kits.
I jump around and do a little work here and there on various parts kits.
Just did some work in a pkt parts kit. Just some demill work. I need to find a barrel that will fit these monsterous trunnions and gas blocks. There was a place, I think it was prexis that was doing new production barrels for pkt conversions but I can't find them anymore.
I scored a imbel FAL kit recently too. That should be a fun build. Never handled a FAL before.

Figured I'd post some updates too if it's cool with OP. Maybe we could even do a build thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
always in for a build thread
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck man, I love building aks and parts kits.
I jump around and do a little work here and there on various parts kits.
Just did some work in a pkt parts kit. Just some demill work. I need to find a barrel that will fit these monsterous trunnions and gas blocks. There was a place, I think it was prexis that was doing new production barrels for pkt conversions but I can't find them anymore.
I scored a imbel FAL kit recently too. That should be a fun build. Never handled a FAL before.

Figured I'd post some updates too if it's cool with OP. Maybe we could even do a build thread.
View Quote
I would like to do a CETME and an FAL too at some point.  Buddy has built one CETME and is on his second right now.

A PKT would be freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It sucks that we aren't swimming in FAL kits. They should be vastly easier to build than an AK.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It sucks that we aren't swimming in FAL kits. They should be vastly easier to build than an AK.
View Quote
Mancat, there's a name I haven't seen in a while.  Good to see ya here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup. They're pretty scarce these days. It's a shame really.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mancat, there's a name I haven't seen in a while.  Good to see ya here.
View Quote
Yeah some of the other forums did die out with the sanctions. I still stop by S-12 now and then but it's pretty quiet. Good to see you as well
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
alas, like the AK kits, the FAL kits are almost gone.

They are much easier than AK to build. Out of 10, I put them at a 3. Scored an Argie early last year. You can still find them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

alas, like the AK kits, the FAL kits are almost gone.

They are much easier than AK to build. Out of 10, I put them at a 3. Scored an Argie early last year. You can still find them.
View Quote
1. AR
3. FAL
4. Skorpion
5. AK
7. CETME
8. Any open bolt sub gun conversion
9.RPD, MG-53, belt feds in general
10.?... manufacturing something from scratch, lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1. AR
3. FAL
4. Skorpion
5. AK
7. CETME
8. Any open bolt sub gun conversion
9.RPD, MG-53, belt feds in general
10.?... manufacturing something from scratch, lol.
View Quote
Well now I really want to do a FAL.
Buddy did two CETMEs in his garage without any previous experience and not many tools.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well now I really want to do a FAL.
Buddy did two CETMEs in his garage without any previous experience and not many tools.
View Quote
CETME would probably be a 6 the more I think about it. Requires welding but not too bad from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
One more part of the puzzle arrived.

Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!
The only "building" I did recently was start looking at mg-53 kits. I'm curious of them.
I tried printing some k31 stripper clips (failed), worked on some cad files for a Krag stock and a FAL receiver, researched some better ways to remove cosmoline if you count that though.
Printing is building to me I guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice!
The only "building" I did recently was start looking at mg-53 kits. I'm curious of them.
I tried printing some k31 stripper clips (failed), worked on some cad files for a Krag stock and a FAL receiver, researched some better ways to remove cosmoline if you count that though.
Printing is building to me I guess.
View Quote
I would say printing is building more than acquiring parts and assembling is building.

A few more parts of the puzzle arrived.

JMAC Parts by Damage Photos, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Weekly for me:
Got my fal. Dirty as can be. Literally. Like soil in the lower. So I figured I'd do a complete strip down and clean. The only issue I ran into was removing the gas tube. The gas regulator need a punch and hammer to get it off. Might end up replacing the gas regulator Same for the locking collar on the gas tube. Pin came out easy but the gas tube itself is frozen. Just keep spraying it with wd-40 for a few days and I'll see if that does anything.
Also attempting to clean some cosmoline off some yugo stuff. Brake clean seems to work the best for me for metal parts. Still haven't figured out what to do for the wood. Summers a long ways away to just out the stock out in the sun or in a hot car. I'll probably just end up taking a heat gun to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Progress

Mock up by Damage Photos, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Remember this is an AK forum.

Please stay on topic so thread doesn't get moved to GD.
View Quote
Sorry. I should have mentioned the yugo stuff were rpk kits. But you're right. Sometimes I get a little over excited. Lol.
But the heat gun seems to work quite well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top