Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2023 11:30:54 PM EDT
Bought a AKM-101 from PSA and knew it came without the cleaning rod. I see some basic AK-74 5.45x39 cleaning rods for sale.

Will these work for my AKM-101 chambered in 5.56?  Is that a standard length?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1149230
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
should be the same length, the question is, what thread did they use for the rod? May not be the same as in your cleaning kit (assuming rifle came wit cleaning kit)
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
should be the same length, the question is, what thread did they use for the rod? May not be the same as in your cleaning kit (assuming rifle came wit cleaning kit)
View Quote

No cleaning kit. It’s a 5.56 chambered AKM-101. My plan was to just use the same cleaning kit I use for my AR-15s. This would just be cosmetic since an AK should have a cleaning rod under the barrel.

Are you saying the rod screws into the rifle and the thread pitch may not be the same? I guess I can call PSA and ask. This is all new to me. I’m an AR guy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
No, there's a difference between a 74 and a 47 cleaning rod, and the parts in the kits won't fit each other.

The rod just slides in, and either will work for your situation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, there's a difference between a 74 and a 47 cleaning rod, and the parts in the kits won't fit each other.

The rod just slides in, and either will work for your situation.
View Quote

Yeah I get that, which was why I looked at the 74 cleaning rod made for a 5.45 chamber.  Wasn’t sure if that would work for a 5.56 rifle.

Thanks.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top