AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2023 2:58:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The AK is a good weapon.  

People’s underestimate how well it can compete with the AR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AK is a good weapon.  

People's underestimate how well it can compete with the AR.
View Quote
been saying this for years. I'm excited to see the course.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot an AK with the SAG MK3 on it, very impressed with the rail, looked great on an AK-103 clone
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am not super familiar with the SAG stuff but I think the MK3 Slim would be the one to get. SAG does show a version in the Russian catalog that's a continuous top rail. I wonder if it fits by removing the rear sight leaf or if the block needs the ears ground off, etc.

Interested to see how the practical accuracy testing goes with the MK3 attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFz13lZfyI
View Quote

I was looking at that continous rail version, and besides the sight block issues, how does that bolt carrier handle work, the bolt carrier in the  video doesn't have a handle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
9H makes great & very informative videos. Thx OP, I’ll check it out later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The AK is a good weapon.  

View Quote

I attribute a lot of “the ak is inferior” to the GWOT. The bulk of exposure to the gun has been piss poor examples observed in the Middle East. Up until recently of course. I’ve said it for years, a rack grade m4 and a rack grade ak74 will perform on par with each other.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Although I'm still holding out for the full PSA Zenitclone set, I've been strongly considering picking up a MK3 from Sureshot-USA for one of AKs in the stable, but goddamn they're expensive.

I seem to recall someone here posting a thread on their MK3 and commenting that it has "HK level girth", since it has to fit around the handguard retainer. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Unless Sureshot-USA/Bandito_Bill hooked them up, it looks like cousin Harry got his hands on the MK3 Slim version, which requires removing the HG retainer and is not yet available in the states.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was looking at that continous rail version, and besides the sight block issues, how does that bolt carrier handle work, the bolt carrier in the  video doesn't have a handle.
View Quote

It has a Zenitco extended charging handle installed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It has a Zenitco extended charging handle installed.
View Quote

My mistake, I was referring to this version.

https://youtu.be/AqaA1Sktaqs

And now I see it has a non reciprocating, left side charging handle on it.

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#11]
If ship times are accurate, ill have my grubby hands on a standard (not slim) MK3 in 4-6 weeks. Will follow up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From SAG USA or SAG?
View Quote

SAG USA
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]
SAG USA is supposedly going to make the Mk3 Slim here in the states. I want the one with the continuous top rail that requires the RSB removed. That's the version I am waiting for.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SAG USA is supposedly going to make the Mk3 Slim here in the states. I want the one with the continuous top rail that requires the RSB removed. That's the version I am waiting for.
View Quote

Same. Not interested unless it's the continuous slim version.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The AK is a good weapon.  

View Quote

I really think the poor quality of ammunition is the biggest reason people think they're inaccurate. I had a Saiga that did very good with a magnified optic and brass cased ammo back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#17]
yugo ammo and S African ammo was the best that ever came into the country. I still have a case of Yugo....I probably should open that someday. Nah.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I had Sureshot MK3 slim chassis on my rifle. I was waiting for the slim version, the standard one is just a bit too thick for me.

Best AK upgrade I have ever seen. Here is my review and a little bit of history behind this product.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/06/15/tfb-review-sureshot-armament-mk-3-0-chassis-system-for-ak-rifles/

Having said that, it is quite expensive. I got one for the review, and if I had to pay for it, I don't know if I would pay out of the pocket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Installed the MK3 on a PSA gen 3 104. Breeze to install and everything was going well until i slapped on the rear dust cover. This is where my troubles began.

There's a decent gap between it and the front rail/chassis (this is after bending in the "ears" on the ear trunion) and it just kinda wobbles. There's still a good finger nail or credit card worth of space between the ears/tabs on the trunion and the dust cover and they cant bend any further.

The safety doesnt fully close even if I push the dust cover portion forward to where it should lock up. It will fully close if forced but it also pops the dust cover out of alignment with the rest of the rail. Lastly the zenitco charging handle i have does not leave enough clearance to cycle the bolt without binding up on the dust cover.

Rewatching the BJO video I noticed all of these things minus the charging handle issue (hes using a TWS). There's a noticeable gap between the dust cover (his optic placement covers some of it) and front of the chassis,  and at 9:16 you can see the safety doesn't fully close when he flips it up. This raises some questions.....

As a sanity check I threw it on a PSA 105 and it fit better, however I just did a quick hand fit vs. bending the ears. No clearance issues with a TWS CH and it might lock up better if the ears are bent inward but I'm pretty skeptical. The safety still doesn't fully close.

Ill get some pics up at some point. Going to work with Sureshot USA to see if we can get this fucker to fit right on the PSA 104. With a little "fitting" im sure the safety issue could be worked out. Not so sure about the dust cover.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times.  SAG is supposed to be working on some sort of "adustable" rear rail section.  I assume this is going to be extra material that needs to be machined or filed to fit or maybe some sort of set screw arrangement that pushes off the ears of the rear trunnion for a snug fit.
View Quote

An oversized file/grind to fit style solution, similar to what RS Regulate does with their handguard retainers, is exactly what this dust cover needs to be. Or maybe a version specific to PSA guns.

If I have time next week I'm may test throwing this thing on an import 74.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I was under the impression the Sureshot chassis was meant for Saiga spec rifles. PSAs are Bulgarian spec.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was under the impression the Sureshot chassis was meant for Saiga spec rifles. PSAs are Bulgarian spec.
View Quote

For a time they explicitly stated the chassis does not fit PSAs. At some point the fix of slightly bending the trunnion ears forward was announced so I rolled the dice.

Its entirely possible that it fits other PSA guns, just not this one. Unfortunately that's part of the game.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For a time they explicitly stated the chassis does not fit PSAs. At some point the fix of slightly bending the trunnion ears forward was announced so I rolled the dice.

Its entirely possible that it fits other PSA guns, just not this one. Unfortunately that's part of the game.

View Quote

Sureshot USA I've seen state on their social media pages that they will fit on PSA AK102,103, and 105, but never seen them say anything about the PSA 104. Was always curious was to know why they never included the 104 in that, but this seems to confirm it. Not an AK Build expert, but wonder what they did different for their 104.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sureshot USA I've seen state on their social media pages that they will fit on PSA AK102,103, and 105, but never seen them say anything about the PSA 104. Was always curious was to know why they never included the 104 in that, but this seems to confirm it. Not an AK Build expert, but wonder what they did different for their 104.
View Quote
nothing should be different other than magazine well dimensions, maybe a couple other miniscule items. If the rear portion fits a 102, 103, and a 105, it should fit a 104

ETA: I have a PSA 103 and a 104, and both can interchange the dust covers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
nothing should be different other than magazine well dimensions, maybe a couple other miniscule items. If the rear portion fits a 102, 103, and a 105, it should fit a 104

ETA: I have a PSA 103 and a 104, and both can interchange the dust covers.
View Quote

100% agree, but SAG USA seems to know something we don't, because they always left out the PSA 104 in regards to compatibility with their chassis. Would be interested to see someone post a comparison of a KUSA 104, PSA 103/104, and 105 if they own em so maybe we can get to the bottom of this, or someone directly contact SAG and ask em.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Tx-zen put together a post comparing PSA to KUSA already. I think he even included SAIGA in there too. The chassis didn't fit the KUSA either. We buggered with it for 3 hours or so trying to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tx-zen put together a post comparing PSA to KUSA already. I think he even included SAIGA in there too. The chassis didn't fit the KUSA either. We buggered with it for 3 hours or so trying to get it to fit.
View Quote

Crap, even a KUSA AK-103 clone? TX-zen, are you around to confirm this? I still haven’t sent mine off for modifications.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I noticed the Sureshot USA website has a 5-slot and 6-slot length listed, but only pics I can find are the 5-slot on the USA site and 4-slot on the RUS site. Is the 6-slot supposed to be the 5-slot as pictured?

Edit: found the 6 slot version on their social media.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Update

Been in touch with support they've been super cool about the situation.

They are supposed to be sending me a newer mount that allows slight front to rear adjustment of the main chassis/rail to accommodate the extra length of the PSA receiver.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Crap, even a KUSA AK-103 clone? TX-zen, are you around to confirm this? I still haven't sent mine off for modifications.
View Quote
I just logged on for the first time since April-ish, but yes, I'm pretty sure Nictra was over here when we were getting it set up on a rifle and had issues

Responded to your PM too
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I wish the slim handguard would come out already. Red Oktober is getting close.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nice. Post up some pics when you get it.
View Quote

New mount on the left. The oval shaped holes allow front/rear adjustment of the main rail/chassis to make up for the space between it and the rear dust cover.

One potential caveat with PSA 100s, at least this PSA GF3 104, is that moving the main rail rearward causes it to come in contact with the the flat part of the gas tube retainer/lever when closed, which in turn pushes the rail back forward.
The white mark on the gas tube retainer shows where it was butting against the rail. Had file down that area of the rail a bit for proper fit.

Observations so far:
-The safety closes now and the dust cover fits so tight its requires some force to get it off.
-Its light weight. PSA 105 with an ultimak is noticeably heavier.  
-Its durable. The handguard held up fine to me prying it off due to how it fits over PSAs oversized handguard retainer.
-Its girthy. The handguard is roughly as thick as a wooden 870 forend. Not terrible, but I'd wager the slim version feels better in the hand.

Initially I was pretty disappointed when it didn't fit after bending in the trunnion ears. Sureshot USA support was awesome and the owner chimed in to answer all of my stupid questions along with sending me the new mount (they now offer an AK-100 option in the drop down for KUSA and PSA 100 series guns) to try out free of charge and even offered to do the filing if I sent them the rail. With the new mount, bending the ears should no longer be necessary. Call me impressed.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Cool setup
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.

Don't quote me because I don't know for certain but the MK3 Slim will require the front handguard retainer to be removed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New mount on the left. The oval shaped holes allow front/rear adjustment of the main rail/chassis to make up for the space between it and the rear dust cover.
https://i.imgur.com/2sGhsIh.jpg

One potential caveat with PSA 100s, at least this PSA GF3 104, is that moving the main rail rearward causes it to come in contact with the the flat part of the gas tube retainer/lever when closed, which in turn pushes the rail back forward.
The white mark on the gas tube retainer shows where it was butting against the rail. Had file down that area of the rail a bit for proper fit.
https://i.imgur.com/CH7QWZn.jpg

Observations so far:
-The safety closes now and the dust cover fits so tight its requires some force to get it off.
-Its light weight. PSA 105 with an ultimak is noticeably heavier.  
-Its durable. The handguard held up fine to me prying it off due to how it fits over PSAs oversized handguard retainer.
-Its girthy. The handguard is roughly as thick as a wooden 870 forend. Not terrible, but I'd wager the slim version feels better in the hand.

Initially I was pretty disappointed when it didn't fit after bending in the trunnion ears. Sureshot USA support was awesome and the owner chimed in to answer all of my stupid questions along with sending me the new mount (they now offer an AK-100 option in the drop down for KUSA and PSA 100 series guns) to try out free of charge and even offered to do the filing if I sent them the rail. With the new mount, bending the ears should no longer be necessary. Call me impressed.

https://i.imgur.com/psKf0Pr.jpg

Thanks for the update.

Don't quote me because I don't know for certain but the MK3 Slim will require the front handguard retainer to be removed.

Yes that and the rear sight block.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the info. I will have to see which mount they sent me last November. I still have not had it installed yet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It would seem there are a couple different versions of the Slim. One is open on top for the rear sight. Another has a continuous top rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would seem there are a couple different versions of the Slim. One is open on top for the rear sight. Another has a continuous top rail.

Sorry I was referring to the continuous top rail version.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The rear sight base or just the rear sight?

See above. You can leave the rear sight on for the one with the cutout.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like you can order the main mount separately:

https://www.sureshot-usa.com/product-page/replacement-parts

“Main Mount
Mount A for AK-100 based firearms (Kalashnikov USA and Palmetto State Armory AK-10x)
Mount B for Arsenal SLR, AK-74, AKM, Saiga”
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]
What the hell made them put a OPS suppressor on the end of an AK-102 clone? Put a damn Sandman K, Surefire or the new OSS Flow 556k on it. Very weird.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What the hell made them put a OPS suppressor on the end of an AK-102 clone? Put a damn Sandman K, Surefire or the new OSS Flow 556k on it. Very weird.
View Quote

Not sure of the correct answer, but I can think of a few reasons. I haven't seen it without the suppressor, but I'm thinking it's pinned and welded to be over 16 inches and the OPS suppressor 'sleeve style' (not sure of the proper term) looks better than skinny barrel coming off of the FSGB and then suppressor hanging off of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top