Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2022 3:11:07 AM EDT
I've been looking at gathering the pieces to build a shorty 'Krink-esque' blaster in our lords caliber (7.62x39) though it will be more practical than accurate to an existing military weapon.

My first question is, can a full length 16" AK barrel just be chopped and fit a Krink Front sight post and Hinge rear sight block? I'm assuming that Krink front trunnions are the same as an AKM. The parts to do this out there.

Second question, Would a JMAC GBC13 work as a Krink front sight to retain usage of the Krink length gas tube. I plan to have the barrel threaded for 5/8x24 and like the idea of the JMAC more than tracking a Krink fsb and removing the threads on it.

Third Question, Would there be any issues with picking up a current production WBP carrier and replacing the piston with a short KNS or krink piston?

Fourth Question, I plan on using an Ultimak on this build so could I not substitute the Hinge sight block with a standard rear sight block? I'd assuming it won't be as easy as that.

If the barrel can be chopped and turned down to fit all of this and the piston works, are their any other issues I'd expect to see? (other than tracking down some parts like a rear sight/hinge block if needed) I plan on gathering all the parts up and sending them to a good Kalash smith.

I could probably get a SAM7K for less but this would be a cool little toy
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By kurzmannon:
My first question is, can a full length 16" AK barrel just be chopped and fit a Krink Front sight post and Hinge rear sight block? I'm assuming that Krink front trunnions are the same as an AKM. The parts to do this out there.
-It won't work unless you machine the barrel journal to fit the smaller diameter combo block. If you don't, you will need a custom sized piston tube, and then it won't be AKSU length.

Second question, Would a JMAC GBC13 work as a Krink front sight to retain usage of the Krink length gas tube. I plan to have the barrel threaded for 5/8x24 and like the idea of the JMAC more than tracking a Krink fsb and removing the threads on it.
-All gas block/combo blocks are essentially the same as far as interfacing with the gas piston. You can set whatever distance you want so long as the barrel journal is machined to match (see your first question). The issue you'll have is the front sight will be on a lower plane if you use a receiver cover mounted rear sight like the AKSU uses.

Third Question, Would there be any issues with picking up a current production WBP carrier and replacing the piston with a short KNS or krink piston?
-Nope. All AK carriers (to my knowledge) use the same thread pitch for the piston/carrier.

Fourth Question, I plan on using an Ultimak on this build so could I not substitute the Hinge sight block with a standard rear sight block? I'd assuming it won't be as easy as that.
-You could, but that would not allow you to use an AKSU receiver cover. It would also push your combo block (GBC13) out further (AKSU hinge blocks are shorter than AKM type sight blocks), thus increasing the length of the overall gun. Plus, you might need a custom length piston depending on where it lands length-wise).

If the barrel can be chopped and turned down to fit all of this and the piston works, are their any other issues I'd expect to see? (other than tracking down some parts like a rear sight/hinge block if needed) I plan on gathering all the parts up and sending them to a good Kalash smith.
-No. So long as the build is done by someone that knows what they're doing; it would actually be a pretty straight forward build in the custom AK world.
View Quote

See responses in red.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve SBRd a Sam7K-44 and a SLR107UR

The SAM7K was easier but the SLR is closer or more of a clone.

Both are stupid fun
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#3]
Regarding 5/8-24 threading, probably not gonna happen, brochacho.  AK barrel components are pressed on from the front, meaning the muzzle is the skinniest part of the barrel and has to be smaller than the journals for the front sight.
A muzzle fat enough for 5/8" threads is too fat to fit through the ~15mm hole in your gas block.

You can do the more correct 14mm, or get a gas block with 24mm threads.  Or you can even thread a 7.62 barrel with 1/2-28 threads.  I've got a couple AKs done like that and running brakes and suppressor mounts designed for 9mm, so the bore is large enough for the projectile.

I think you may also have issues using a rear sight meant for a standard length gas position and putting it on anything shorter like a krink length gas tube.  The height wont be correct.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#4]
You could cobble something together. Though honestly a M92 pistol is probably your best bet.

If you're gonna go this route get a barrel, front sight gas block combo, and lynx gas tube from AOA and the rear sight hinge from PSA for the AK-P.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top