Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2021 4:04:29 PM EDT
Just pondering this idea. I'm wondering if someone does custom AK barrel work?
I am beating around an idea of a 6.5 Grendel AK-47 with american threading 5/8x24 so I could mount a standard DeadAir Brake and use a suppressor with it.
I also like the 6.5 Grendel  cartridge and I'm not sure, but I''m thinking the AK-47 mags should work. I haven't tried loading one with Grendel rounds to see how it stacks up.

Just beating the idea around to see if it's do-able and at what cost.

Thanks
SS33
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vmpglenn] [#2]
Evocatus Strategic.

ETA: and you will need 6.5G AK magazines - like the ones Csspecs makes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Would be nice if PSA made 6.5 AKs and steel case ammo...
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Barrel is trivial but would be expensive. You'd likely have to start with a 6.5 blank, and get a lathe or be prepared to pony-up hundreds for a gunsmith to get the AKM contour machined out.

The hard part would be getting the bolt timing right...most AR bolts AFAIK use a more dedicated bolt for 6.5G since its base diameter is a bit smaller. I'm not sure if in troubleshooting you'd simply end up with more rightward ejection patterns, who knows. Extractor spring might have to be tuned if using an unmodified AKM bolt, would be my guess.

Good luck with the build!
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There are some 6.5g veprs floating around. Not cheap anymore,  it maybe cheaper than paying for a build.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Lee Armory made a really nice 6.5 Grendel AK.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top