Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2021 12:33:49 AM EDT
Just ordered a load of this as I've never seen it before. PPU/PRVI has a pretty good reputation.   Anyone know anything more about it than the brief description on AIM's website.  Performance reports out of what rifle?

https://aimsurplus.com/ppu-7-62x54r-brass-berdan-750rd-case-ammunition-free-s-h/

Sam (SGAmmo) is sure charging quite a bit more for the same stuff.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-partizan-ammo-sale/750-round-case-762x54r-fmj-182-grain-ball-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp76254
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It says berdan primer and the other ppu x54r says boxer.
I don't know what size berdan but I'd buy the boxer stuff before berdan everytime.
Such a pain in the ass reloading berdan even if you have berdan primers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know what size berdan but I'd buy the boxer stuff before berdan everytime.
View Quote

Not a reloader myself - sooo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still might be worth it, with the ammo ban unfolding, I suspect reloadable 54r brass will be worth a premium in about a year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Still might be worth it, with the ammo ban unfolding, I suspect reloadable 54r brass will be worth a premium in about a year.
View Quote

I do have a 550 and a bunch of stuff I've never set up but I bought soooo deep after things settled down from the school massacres and during the Trump years I'm GTG.  Between milsurp and new manufacture  I'm probably set for life unless of course I wanted to get into high accuracy shooting.  Aside from my .308 Ruger RPR and maybe my Mosin Snipers my entire collection is 2 MOA milsurp so probably no point in permanently taking up that much space on my workbench and dedicating the time to do it.

Plus where is any boxer primed 54r anywhere near affordable to start with.  Course if you reload 2-3 times I guess it pays.    
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just ordered a load of this as I've never seen it before. PPU/PRVI has a pretty good reputation.   Anyone know anything more about it than the brief description on AIM's website.  Performance reports out of what rifle?

https://aimsurplus.com/ppu-7-62x54r-brass-berdan-750rd-case-ammunition-free-s-h/

Sam (SGAmmo) is sure charging quite a bit more for the same stuff.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-partizan-ammo-sale/750-round-case-762x54r-fmj-182-grain-ball-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp76254
View Quote
The PPU 54r ammo you link to shoots pretty well. Noticeably better than the steel cased commercial loads currently or recently available IME. Surprising to me I have one lot # of surplus Romainian LPS that shoots nearly as well as the 182gr. brass/copper PPU. I have not compared it to any match loads and only at 110 yards so far. I don't measure groups, only compare and look for flyers. Rifles are Zastava M91 and PSL 54 w/ KNS piston. Your results may depend on individual rifle and ammo lot #'s as much as anything though since the ammo in question surplus.   PS- I reload but still use Berdan primed ammo for some rifles.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top