Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2020 2:05:04 PM EDT
Have you ever had a failure with Russian surplus?

Dud primers, defective construction, hangfires?

I shot a fair amount of Russian and Bulgarian with zero issues back in the day.

Was looking at some '81 dated stuff at the LGS today and was wondering how it is holding up.

Would you trust 40 year old 7n6 for SHTF?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't remember having any issues at all.  Shot a bunch of it, and still have cases stacked up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

Shot about 4,000 rounds of Factory 270 1982 production 7n6 without a single failure of any kind.

Beautiful accurate stuff.  Stacked plenty before the import ban as I knew it was too good to be true!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't say as I've had a problem with any of it.  

I'd even go so far as to say its more consistent than new Tula stuff.  Tula almost makes you think the bullet is barely rolling out the end of the barrel sometimes.

They only thing I hate is the lacquer on it.  Stuff is thick and takes some solvent or at least some extra effort to clean when you shoot a lot.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Had one dud, early on in my first case.  Tried it a couple times, would not go bang.

No issues since.  Oh, surplus corrosive stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shot a lot of it and can't remember ever having a failure
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
In several of those wooden crates of 7N6, not one dud or bad round.

I think I recall those are 2160 rounds per crate.

Heaven forbid a SHTF situation, but I would not hesitate to use the stuff.

The crates and cans are sturdy and well sealed. If the storage conditions were poor you would see the crate showing signs.

If the crate isn't showing abuse or decay, then the ammo is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
7n6 has been very reliable for me.  I’ve shot a dozen or so crates and i don’t think I’ve had any duds.  They made the stuff to be very reliable and long lasting; sealed rounds, sealed ammo cans, it was made to stack it up and defend the homeland.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a one failure of any type.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I've had maybe 2 dud primers in all the years and zillion rounds I've shot 5.45 and yes, I'd roll with any of my 7N6 without hesitation
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top