Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish 7.62x39 AR's would be popular
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If you build an STG-940, I hope you post pics.........I would love to see one

Quoted:
Why a 5.56mm AK?  Well, in my case because I want a commonly available round for an utterly reliable weapon (i.e. my Arsenal M5S) that's also somewhat out of the ordinary.  I suppose the latter point is what intrigues me most.  That's what so special about AKs anyway:  the opportunity to get as esoteric as you want.  For example, I've got original Wieger StG 940 stock sets (ther real deal), together with Wieger FSHs and flash hiders....and bolts and bolt carriers.  No, they weren't scrapped...not by a long shot. Consider it a bennie of being stationed in Berlin at the time of the collapse.  Imagine how cool that weapon will be after someone like Newton or Butler get finished with it!  That's the real appeal of 5.56mm AKs to me.   The forgoing arguments on relative terminal ballistics iare indeed moot at this stage in my life.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad owns a .223 AK just so we can buy 1000 rounds of ammo and feed the ARs and the AK at the same time.

It is very cost-effective and pretty accurate.

It sure is a bastard-child gun but we love it.

Some of my range friends were laughing at the fact that I was actually zeroing an AK.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My dad owns a .223 AK just so we can buy 1000 rounds of ammo and feed the ARs and the AK at the same time.

Some of my range friends were laughing at the fact that I was actually zeroing an AK.

Here's what can be done when you sight in your AK.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=74985
Top 3 used AK's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's what can be done when you sight in your AK.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=74985
Top 3 used AK's.

Well I shoot IPSC and I'm not sure if it will meet the minimum power factor out of the short barrel...

For now I'm chained to my AR...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Well just think of it this way-If they did'nt have a 5.56mm AK then threads like this would not exist-buy one if you want one it's a free country.
Just look at it this way it is another reason or point that makes the AK superior to the AR in some respects, that you can adopt it to about anything and expect good results from it. Yeah, I can't hang all the cool guy stuff off of my gun as well as an AR but you don't need most of it most of the time. Enjoy them for what they are and have fun that is the way I look at it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
There is nothing bad about a 223 AK, I have 3 of them
1 Galil, and 2 Valmets, my friend LEO has a Swiss AK (SIG 550), almost forgot one more, K2 Daewoo it has an AK system with an AR bolt and a FAL gas system.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are .223 AKs popular?

Quality of .223 ammo available, is why I want one.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Why have a .223 AK? Cuz I live in a house full of girls(Silly kashnikovians, .223 AKs are for chicks!). Since I already have a couple of ARs, getting an AK in 5.56 just makes sense, from all logistical angles. I know that gun buying rarely makes sense, but this works for me.
I only need to purchase and store one type of ammo for multiple weapons.
It is a fantastically light recoiling round, so I can have both the wife and the 13 year old daughter learning on Norinco 84s without fear of  them being knocked around. This translates into enjoying time with me and learning some valuable skills and attitudes.
The underfolder is super compact and makes a great "get home" gun. I can "acquire" 5.56 way easier than 5.45 or 7.62x39 under a wider variety of circumstances. Does your local hardware store have .223? Your neighbor? That patrol car?
You can argue ballistics and accuracy all day, but if you want accuracy, than you should run screaming from AKs. If you want excellent terminal ballistics, you'd better learn what your cartridge is capable of long before you get into trouble. If you are really that concerned, there is a cartridge called 7.62 NATO that might be a better choice (I have heard rumors that this round is capable of accuracy, but you'd never know it by my shooting).
For me, Ak is just a toy anyhow, if there was a SHTF, my 13 year-old would have it , while I hide behind another weapon system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
(Silly kashnikovians, .223 AKs are for chicks!).

Wanna tell the IDF? I'm sure more than one soldier would stomp a mudhole in your ass for saying his gun was just for girls.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
.223 is one of the only one's they allow us to have in CT.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
.223 is one of the only one's they allow us to have in CT.

Why can't you own a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why a 5.56mm AK?  Well, in my case because I want a commonly available round for an utterly reliable weapon (i.e. my Arsenal M5S) that's also somewhat out of the ordinary.  I suppose the latter point is what intrigues me most.  That's what so special about AKs anyway:  the opportunity to get as esoteric as you want.  For example, I've got original Wieger StG 940 stock sets (ther real deal), together with Wieger FSHs and flash hiders....and bolts and bolt carriers.  No, they weren't scrapped...not by a long shot. Consider it a bennie of being stationed in Berlin at the time of the collapse.  Imagine how cool that weapon will be after someone like Newton or Butler get finished with it!  That's the real appeal of 5.56mm AKs to me.   The forgoing arguments on relative terminal ballistics iare indeed moot at this stage in my life.  

Actually, the STG-940 is commonly used the the Bundeswehr (German Army) as a OPFOR weapon.. Its an AK, and they only have to use one type of blank for both sides.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the STG-940 is commonly used the the Bundeswehr (German Army) as a OPFOR weapon.. Its an AK, and they only have to use one type of blank for both sides.

=============================
Yes, I have heard that once or twice somewhere.    Any chance of pics of BW troops carrying the StG 940-series?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

=============================
Yes, I have heard that once or twice somewhere.    Any chance of pics of BW troops carrying the StG 940-series?  

I dont have any....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
The 5.56mm M-5S will also be a candidate for the Vortex when it comes out in a few weeks.  Should be most excellent after jnewt puts on the L/Side BU safety.  

" border=0>
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for double post...new to pic posting.  My 5.56mm M-5S will be a candidate for the Vortex when it comes out in a few weeks.  Should be most excellent after jnewt puts on the L/Side BU safety.  The Vortex depicted below is for a USN MK46 LW SAW.  The AK-74 type Vortexes should have a shorter rear section.    

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand that there is some quesiton about the terminal performance of 545 fmj...  I keep my mags (20 of 'em!) loaded up with every other round fmj hp fmj hp fmj hp...  anyone know the terminal performance of the wolf 545 hp's??  respectable?  I'd assume they'd be hoprrendously lethal with teh 545's speed and a good HP expansion....  am I wrong?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I understand that there is some quesiton about the terminal performance of 545 fmj...  I keep my mags (20 of 'em!) loaded up with every other round fmj hp fmj hp fmj hp...  anyone know the terminal performance of the wolf 545 hp's??  respectable?  I'd assume they'd be hoprrendously lethal with teh 545's speed and a good HP expansion....  am I wrong?

From what I read hp's in rifle ammo doesn't expand like it does with pistol ammo.
Do you know if the 5.45mm hp's will feed relability? I've read some stories of where it can be hit
or miss on feeding. Barnual 5.45mm FMJ does have the air space and is more accurate than
Wolf 5.45mm. Here's a pic of Barnual 5.45mm in this thread: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=74957
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I read hp's in rifle ammo doesn't expand like it does with pistol ammo.
Do you know if the 5.45mm hp's will feed relability? I've read some stories of where it can be hit
or miss on feeding. Barnual 5.45mm FMJ does have the air space and is more accurate than
Wolf 5.45mm. Here's a pic of Barnual 5.45mm in this thread: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=74957

wolf 54539HP's so far no FTF in my rifle.  Haven't done  any real accuracy testing, but will now.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(Silly kashnikovians, .223 AKs are for chicks!).

Wanna tell the IDF? I'm sure more than one soldier would stomp a mudhole in your ass for saying his gun was just for girls.

I have seen some of their soldiers and were I not married, I'd consider allowing some of them to stomp a mudhole in me {insert link to hot Israeli soldier chick here} .
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They behave much the same as the fmj, they do not expand.

Barnaul soft points do expand, I think they're the only 5.45 ammo that does.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tyat blows.  Guess I'm siwtching to SP. same price?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tyat blows.  Guess I'm switching to SP. same price?

They are often the only Barnaul available, and as cheap or more so than fmj.

One thing you should do before ordering a ton, the soft points are shorter overall than the fmj, buy just a few box's and try them out in your AK. Most people have no problem with these, but a few have.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tyat blows.  Guess I'm switching to SP. same price?

They are often the only Barnaul available, and as cheap or more so than fmj.

One thing you should do before ordering a ton, the soft points are shorter overall than the fmj, buy just a few box's and try them out in your AK. Most people have no problem with these, but a few have.  

thanks for that warning, I was about to order a couple thousand!  I do a TON of 223 shooting, but I plan to eclipse that with 54539 rounds down range. Got a great 74 setup!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top