Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
friggin awesome.

the only Sig I have is a nice K31

and it's given me a new found respect for swiss arms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks m490.  That is an interesting (and conflicting) set of firearms laws you guys have.  Though firearms laws NEVER tend to make any sense.

Enjoy that 552.  I am really hoping Sig starts production for the 55x here in the US as they are rumored to do.  A 551, 551-LB, and 552 are in my future.

Josh
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious,  just HOW are you building a Semi Suomi?
I have a very nice kit but didn't think it legally possible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Lucky fucking bastard.

If these were importable, I would pay the NFA fees and all to have one. Even if its only SBR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the Sig 550 rifle receiver made out of? What makes it better than everything else? Is it available in anything else aside from 5.56?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What makes it better than everything else?

It's a typical Swiss gun, built perfect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
No fucking fair. Dammit, that gun is TINY when its folded.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What makes it better than everything else?

It's a typical Swiss gun, built perfect.

Is it made out of titanium?

Steel?

Alluminum?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the Sig 550 rifle receiver made out of? What makes it better than everything else? Is it available in anything else aside from 5.56?

Receiver is made from investment cast steel and stamped steel sheet.  The "trunion" (for lack of a better word) is machined from an investment casting.  The trunion has internal threads (into which the barrel is screwed), has the feedramps to guide rounds into the chamber, functions as the barrel extension into which the bolt locks up, and also has the front pivot/takedown pin hole on the underside.  The rear takedown pin lug with corresponding takedown pin hole is also a machined investment casting.  The receiver is mainly a sheet metal stamping that is welded to the aforementioned trunion and rear takedown pin lug.  Steel carriage rails (on which the bolt carrier rides) are welded into the stamped steel upper.

It really isn't that much better than anything else out there.  In fact the 551s evaluated by the DEA choked (not sure about the details) and were beaten by the AR15 entries submitted by Rock River and Colt.  The Sig is a much sexier system than other 5.56mm rifles and it does offer AK reliability.  But a well maintained Colt M4 with good mags is a hard beast to make choke.  Yes, I realize the heresey of this statement on The DARKSIDE.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i'm seeing more FAL than anything else.

The bolt/carrier/piston is more AK than FAL (which does not use a rotating bolt...)...

The only weapon I've seen with a slight resemblance to the FAL bolt system is the M240/MAG58
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
As much I find the 55X series attractive, I agree with JoshNC. Much of the desireability of this gun is its rarity - - kinda like American Whiskey in Japan and Russian Vodka here. Hell the Vette and Harleys are a different demographic in Europe.  Plus the cost mentioned is about a fifth of what they've sold for previously -  attractive in itself. But intrinsically its not a perfect platform. I'll still buy a pair.

I do take all evals witha grain of salt. Theres often more politics in "objective" testing than should be.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The bolt/carrier/piston is more AK than FAL (which does not use a rotating bolt...)...

The only weapon I've seen with a slight resemblance to the FAL bolt system is the M240/MAG58

And the SIG and AK have a long-stroke piston system, the FAL has a short-stroke one.

The Russian Tokarev SVT rifles have a pretty similar system to the FAL, with a tilting bolt and a short-stroke gas piston system. Or I should say the FAL is much like the earlier Tokarevs...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm seeing more FAL than anything else.

It looks like a hybrid between FAL, AR and AK.

The bolt is definately AK, and the lower has some similarities to the AK as well. The handguards also look like the Isreali AKs (galils??)

You can see the AR influence in the way that the upper and lower connect and split, but the adjustable gas tube and the "buffer" (the rod extending into the stock which connects to the bolt) are FAL all the way.

From where I'm sitting it looks like they studied 3 very successful designs and incorporated the best features of each into 1 easy to maintain, highly reliable, durable piece.

That said, I still don't feel deprived by the fact that I can't get one. It looks too bulky.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Just one more series of pics. This time to show, how tiny the 552 is when stock folded.

First 552 with A2MP5, quite same size?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/357382.jpg

Then with 11,5" Bushmaster, stock open:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/357384.jpg

Then stock folded. You can almost take it and put it in your pocket?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/357386.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
And of course, gun is still loadable and trigger is fully accessible! Well, not so easy to fire (or hit) when no stock support...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#17]
this thread made me cry :(
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
That is absolutely beautiful.  I am anxiously awaiting SHOT show to see about Sig's US offerings for the 55x line.  Multiple short barreled rifles are in my future.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I want one!!

ditto here
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top