BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If there was a practical way to mount an Aimpoint above the receiver (in line with the bore right above and center to the top cover) -that you could still see the irons thru the lower portion of the optic- I would get one in a heartbeat. -And this is comming from an AK purist; I keep my collection mil-spec with the exception of my practical kalashnikov that I would love to have something like this on. The only other alternative for me is to put my EOTech on an ULTImak railed gas tube, which i would not prefer. So, yes. Make one that is functional and not overpriced and I think it would sell. An added plus would be if it had a quick detach option, it mounted to the standard com-bloc side optic rail, and it's shape had lines that complimented a new-age AK platform asthetically.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Alot of the AKs don't have the side mounts, especially underfolders.

I think the ticket is to make one of your "Iron-Dot" units that would replace the rear sight.
Just remove the rear sight from its pivot, and put some kind of lo-mount Iron Dot setup on that spot. If you want it really low, you can cantilever it to the rear a little, over the action cover.
It would serve as dot sight and iron sight, and go on all AKs.
Easy to remove the action cover, underfolders can use it, and so can the regular AKs that aren't equipped with the side rail on the receiver.

I like this idea better!

Mark, what do you think of twl's idea.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
both but i already have an aimpoint
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely don't forget the Saiga shotgun market.  There are a bunch of 3-gunners that run these.  They will definitely spend the money on quality parts.

And yes, I would be down for at least 1.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark,
I'd take 2 if they low mounted /co-witnessed an aimpoint.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
i think this is what we all want, the problem is you cant get it anymore... if larue was to make a version, an improved version it could be very good news

Shot with DiMAGE 7i at 2007-07-07

Shot with E3200 at 2007-07-07
(found these pics if they are anyones and ur pissed let me know)
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
made by some commie bastards who wont listen to what customers want, evolved into this mount...

Shot at 2007-07-07
its nice and all but the rings are angled so u can still use irons underneath so its a no go(and you cant get the old ones ive tried).  once agian not my pic so il take it down if you want.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in if:

Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#14]
What about monolithic top rail, extending from the gas block all the way to the rear of the reciever, using the tang screw in the rear and replacing the rear sight?

With a built in BUIS at the rear of the rail, adjustable for windage and elevation.  Sort of a combination Ultimak / Krebs rail.  You'd remove it by taking the screw out and removing the gas tube.

Wouldn't work for underfolders or folks using the ACE tangless hinge, but then you can't have everything.

Or have a full-length picatinny rail low above the reciever cover secured by the side rail and adjustable for cant, also with a built-in BUIS and replacing the rear sight and extending above the upper front handguard.  That would work with any side-railed AK and remove for cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately there's two issues with AKs.

The first is the short sight radius.  Co witnessing the sights is useless if the sights are inadequate to start with.  A rear sight (BUIS) at the rear of the receiver fixes that (Gail, Valmet Rk 62, etc.).

The second is the lack of a good optics mounting system that is picatinny-compatible other than the 'scout' type Ultimak that places the optic forward of the current rear sight.

A Beryl-type rail is "KISS", but it needs a rear sight.

The Krebs rail with a built in rear sight is not out yet and will probably cost over $250 and the reasonably priced DPH rail lacks a rear sight (though a simple aperture that fit into the last slot on the rail would work).
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
the krebs and the dph still fail to allow you to cowitness.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
the krebs and the dph still fail to allow you to cowitness.  

Plus they don't seem to be usable by any AK that doesn't have a fixed rear stock. My AK has a side folding stock with no rear tang. A siderail mount is better as it's independent of the stock type, is already on most modern AKs (or is available as a post factory install) and still allows other commie optics to be used.

Mark, if you build something like the above pics that allows co-witness with the irons, I will be among the first doing further damage to my CC. BSW
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I'LL NEED A FEW
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
PLEASE MARK! WE WOULD PRAISE YOU AS A GOD!

and then when your done railz plz?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If there was a practical way to mount an Aimpoint above the receiver (in line with the bore right above and center to the top cover) -that you could still see the irons thru the lower portion of the optic- I would get one in a heartbeat.

There is a way, and I have one - it came with a PK-01v AAA from Belarus. Sadly, it is out of production.

As you can see, it could be more efficiently designed as a one-piece affair rather than a rail and rings. It would need to be slightly adjustable for height and cant because not all AK optics rails are installed the same.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Mark:

Build it, and we will come.  Or at least I will!

As indicated in my Email, I'd be in the market for at least two.

Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd buy one to have just in case for my next trip to the sandbox.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Make it.
I always buy QUALITY, US made goods.

Yes I agree that most AK owner will not buy it because its not going to be dirt cheap. But those who like high quality stuff will definetly buy it. But then again all your other products are aimed at people who buy high quality stuff.

I LOOKS FORWARD TO THE DAY WHEN IT WILL COME OUT ON THE MARKET.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd say make it.  I'd definitely be interested.  I have a SLR-105RA1 that is itching for something like that.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I will buy one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
And I was considering selling my Aimpoint.   NOT NO MORE.

I predict another dillo and hat to be in my possession when this item is for sale.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#28]
mark this is when you step in and say "i didnt punt that bitch to the pond"
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Mark,

I really want one of these mounts, the only other option I have seen was the one K-Var makes and I was not impressed with it. When I used that mount the nut in the lever mechanism vibrated its self loose from the recoil on my SLR-106R, thats pretty sad cuz its 5.56 and there isn't much recoil. I am about to build a bulgy AK74 and would love to use this set up with it.

Thanks,
Nate
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Any further info on these...are we going to be a go?

Low frofile mounting to side rail....please...no unnecessary...size or angles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1st -It's imperative that fivepoint not know that I posted outside of the LT industry forum.  

2nd - Yes, it's a go.

3rd - See 1st.

ETA?
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1st -It's imperative that fivepoint not know that I posted outside of the LT industry forum.  

2nd - Yes, it's a go.

3rd - See 1st.

Need beta testers? BSW
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll second the beta tester!
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alot of the AKs don't have the side mounts, especially underfolders.

I think the ticket is to make one of your "Iron-Dot" units that would replace the rear sight.
Just remove the rear sight from its pivot, and put some kind of lo-mount Iron Dot setup on that spot. If you want it really low, you can cantilever it to the rear a little, over the action cover.
It would serve as dot sight and iron sight, and go on all AKs.
Easy to remove the action cover, underfolders can use it, and so can the regular AKs that aren't equipped with the side rail on the receiver.

I like this idea better!

Mark, what do you think of twl's idea.

Mark, any opinion on twl thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/14/2007 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Mark,

I am intrested, plus I need another reason to get another hat & more Armadillos.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for the drift, but how do you install a scope rail on a SA M-7 that doesn't have one?  Thanks.

Mark, please do make it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd - Yes, it's a go.

3rd - See 1st.

Need beta testers? BSW

ooooOOOOooooo.  i would so be willing to be a guinie pig.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Will the mount clear Krink sights?
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]
After messing with AKs and ARs and upgrading all kinds of stuff on my AR that I most likely will not need, I am drifting back to my AKs. The AR with all kinds of crap hung on them is just starting to be too much. But my one gripe about the AK was the lack of a nice red dot on it. I had an Eotech on the Ultimak optic mount, but didn't like it much. Had the Kobra before that and didn't like how huge it was. Now a low mount Aimpoint may be the ticket. I may be in for one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds good can't wait to see one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm interested.

I tried putting an Aimpoint ML2 on my AK using the BP-02 side mount, about the lowest positioned mount available that uses the receiver rail, and generally considered one of the best choices around. I felt though that it added a lot of weight to the gun and was very bulky.

I had earlier tried mounting the same optic using the Ulitmak railed gas tube. Although this was a lot lighter and less bulky, and was positioned even lower, it threw off the balance of the gun by placing the weight of the optic so far forward.

My ML2 is now on a flat-top AR using the Larue LT 150 mount - the most effective arrangment I have yet been able to obtain.

I would greatly like to see Larue develop a compact, lightweight optic mount that uses the AK receiver side rail.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm interested.

I would greatly like to see Larue develop a compact, lightweight optic mount that uses the AK receiver side rail.

IF this is what LaRue is going to develop I may hold out for a couple...  A lightweight mount for the side rail for Red Dots or magnified optics...  I won't pay much or any over $100
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, but at your prices, I would want it adjustable for ELEVATION.  Make something elevation adjustable and I'll buy 2.  The AK mounts are typically not always level, which is why there is a LOT of adjustment in the Russian/Eastern Block optics.  If you build a mount that allows our better optics, we may max out on elevation or drop and have a problem.  

MAKE THE SYSTEM ADJUSTABLE FOR ELEVATION!!!!!

ETA: Someone else gave you a link to the Robison website that describes the issue with AK's and their sometimes iffy mounting of the scope rail on the gun where its not parallel to the bore.  You'd need an adjustable scope mount to compensate for that problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I will take one for sure.What you guys think,when it is going to be available?

Jake
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#48]
the BP-02 is a damn nice and very LOW AK to Weaver mount for optics...being heavy is its only problem.

if LaRue does the same thing, keeping it LOW but in a lightweight package that'll keep zero every time it's taken off...then we're onto something...

You can also consider working on a railed forend for the Krinkovs...there aren't any in production and won't be until late late in the year (Krebs) and that's not a guarantee either.

Krinks are AK's too you know...
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#49]
of course...

the mount should be made to fit MOST of these side rail types...

Link Posted: 7/23/2007 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I would be very interested but have questions:

As HKTackDriver said elevation adjustment?
MIL-STD-1913 compliant?
Attach to many side-rail types?
Center-bore alignment?

Thx and can't wait.

Page / 9
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top