BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine today, It stinks pretty bad like mildew, and the side that faces in looks like it has some white mildew. I got it outside to air out then I'll probably wash it. Otherwise it looks brand new.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know man...  I'd take the commie AK rig over the leapers vest.  I'd bet it is better made!  

I kind of like the chi-com chest rig for its simplicity.  Small and compact, good compliment to an AK trunk gun.   like the poor man's version of this:  www.spectergear.com/mk2_chest_rig.htm

I have one of the Eagle rifleman's vests and I really don't like it...  just too much crap.  I like the idea of  just a way to carry a few extra mags.

+1

I bought several since I hadn't seen them around for a while and love them and the price is right.  I also like to carry mags in a pouch on a belt where I can slide the pouch back if I lie prone.  To each his own.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got mine today, It stinks pretty bad like mildew, and the side that faces in looks like it has some white mildew. I got it outside to air out then I'll probably wash it. Otherwise it looks brand new.

Try the oxyclean trick.. I tried it on an E German pouch that smelled like it had been sitting in a puddle in a warehouse for 20 years and it came out pretty decent (only smelled a bit if you stuck it up to your nose, didn't stink up the whole room at that point).

Febreeze also makes some "anti-bacteria" spray that is supposed to neutralize the smell of mildew, mold, etc. and prevent it from regrowing.  Wortha  try for $5 fora  big spray bottle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Got mine yesterday.  I had a fair amount of mildew on it so I first hosed it down with Lysol to kill it, then soaked it in a bucket of water with Fel's Naptha soap overnight.  It's still in the soapy water.  Tonight I'm going to rinse it and soak it in the Oxyclean solution, and it should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Washed mine with color safe bleach, and soap in the Washer.  I put them in the Dryer with 3 sheet of fabric softner.  They still have a "Vicks vapor rub" smell.  I have them airing out in the Garage?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at the chinese chest rigs but decided to go with this:
www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=85
I bought it in Olive color, I believe 3 mags is not enough, hehehe. Maybe carry 4 30 rounders and 2 40 rounders in it if it gets too heavy with 8 30 rounders on it! (I'm 5'8 and weight 135, maybe small but i can run fast if SHTF, lol)
I paid like $78 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bought it in Olive color, I believe 3 mags is not enough, hehehe. Maybe carry 4 30 rounders and 2 40 rounders in it if it gets too heavy with 8 30 rounders on it! (I'm 5'8 and weight 135, maybe small but i can run fast if SHTF, lol)
I paid like $78 shipped.

Wow, that is competitvely priced with some of the Eagle chest rigs and carries twice as many mags to boot.  Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I paid like $78 shipped.

I just picked up one of those off the EE.  $60 shipped.  If should be here tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it is.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I paid like $78 shipped.

I just picked up one of those off the EE.  $60 shipped.  If should be here tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it is.  

Thanks, I can't wait until it gets here and I can set it up! $60 sounds like a better price of course, but I think $78 is worth it though. Looks like a dammed good vest!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I paid like $78 shipped.

Tag for that!
I'm interested!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yech.  The Chicom rigs are "unissued" but definitely sat in a warehouse for many, many years.  Mine also has nasty white blooms of mildew all over it.  It is going to take an Oxyclean bath for a day or so and then get blasted by some antimicrobal Febreeze for good meesure and to give it that fresh flower scent that all tactical wear should have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yech.  The Chicom rigs are "unissued" but definitely sat in a warehouse for many, many years.  Mine also has nasty white blooms of mildew all over it.  It is going to take an Oxyclean bath for a day or so and then get blasted by some antimicrobal Febreeze for good meesure and to give it that fresh flower scent that all tactical wear should have.

Somebody forgot to send me that memo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]
The mildew's not that bad,during the Iraq War I recieved a package from a Friend who was Special Ops.The package contained a heavily blood stained Iraqi AK Chest Pouch,I kept it in the package until he came by and picked it up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top