User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell man Buy it and enjoy it... no matter what AK you get you'll love it..

If i was in Tx i would dress up like a Veit. era American, and you could go with the whole VC style.. heck while where at it lets find someone to dress up like a Nazi..

then we could all go shooting someplace... perhaps while still dressed like that go shoot some Sporting Clays with the OU crowd..

yes we would get looks but who cares.. we are just having fun..
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude get whatever you want...go to the range, enjoy yourself SAFELY and people will take you for you.

I'm one of those guys that the people here like to talk about. I'm white with a shaved head and goatee, wear camo jacket to the range (granted, its British DPM). I shoot AR, SKS, and RUGER Pistols....Mossberg shotty, and a rinky dink AR-7.  Hell, lat time I went to range with my daughter we had matching DPM jackets.  

I often strike up conversations with people at the range when I watch them shoot, or vice-versa...and I stay away from the unsafe ones and make sure I have a good time. If no one comes near me, so be it.  

I do always enjoy "trading shots" with people at the range... let's me try out guns I might never get a chance to shoot.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Boma-

I can relate to what you're thinking.

My advise to you..  Bring more firepower!  It usually shuts them up pretty quick.

I am an asian decent as well.  When I go to the range, I bring out the small stuff out first, and as we progress, the bigger and expensive stuff comes out.

I remember in the early/mid 80s at a public range, couple of Vietnam vets were talking trash loudly so that I can hear saying why they survived Vietnam "them" guys can't shoot worth a sh&t.  I started with my Ruger 10/22 and MK II, progressed to SKS and AKs(Valmet 71).  By this time they were still talking trash, so I brought out my ARs and it seems to quiet them a little but they were still talking.  I just mind my own business shooting and letting my firearms do the talking.  Then I brought out HK-91 and a Benelli Super 90 and a friend of mine, also asian, took his Steyr AUG.  After the the vets saw what we had, they quietly packed up and left.  I guess they couldn't bear the fact that we had more firepower than they did.

My advise to you is to build your AK as well as the AR, this way you can affort both.  They are not very expensive to build.  I've build both, it's not hard, the information you need to build is on the internet.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
who cares? get what you want. dont worry about assholes.

+

Have you thought about doing any upgrades to your pistol if possible?  Like night sights or tactical lights.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Enough of the wussy talk.  I'm going to do some research on AK's, so I can decide which one I want in the future. =)  h.gif

Don't have one, but Vector Arms look like a good deal.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=8   Under folder $589.00

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=9   Classic $499.00

And if you get any dirty looks you know what to do!   ETA: Copy and past link if need be.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Go for the AK! I would think its funnier than shit at the idea of people giving you funny looks, it just goes to show you who the assholes are! Tormenting the tormentable never gets old! Consider this, the 82nd Airborne (then the 82nd Infantry) got the name "All American Division" because we were a complete melting pot with guys from the same unit speaking different languages who started kicking ass! What other country did that? None! To me, the hodge podge of easily underestimatable people who are considered inferior, even by our own Allies, start knocking off bad guys at 800 yards is worth being proud of!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Funny looks???
If you want those try something I did back in the late 80's. Our RC airplane club used to meet one evening a month in a volunteer firehouse out in Va. Beach. Nice way to take care of club business and see friends. At the end of one meeting they asked if anyone had anything else to bring up. I raised my hand and said I did. They gave me the floor. I stood up on my chair and started yelling "MOVIE!" MOVIE!" at the top of my lungs. Then I thanked the club officers and sat down.
You could'a heard a pin drop. Thay all just sat there and gaped at me with their mouths open and no sound coming out. Many of  the guys were retired pilots and WWII vets.
Then my buddy Jerry fell on the floor laughing. And between gasping for breath and laughing his ass off he kept saying "Oh you asshole! I don't believe you!!!!!" "What an idiot!".
That brought on even more WTF looks.
I finally had to tell them "What!?! You've never had an urge to yell 'movie' in a crowded firehouse?"
You want funny looks? Just pull off a really bad pun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
It must be a bad pun, b/c I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm 23 years old, a grad student, and responsible.  Of course since I look young, I'm thinking people at the range may confuse me for a gangster wannabe or reminensce back to the Vietnam War or something.  I shot a Colt AR-15 a few weeks ago and love it.  Of course I can't afford to spend $1,000 on a rifle yet.  AK's seem to go for $300-500?  I have one pistol so far and I'm thinking of getting a good rifle to add to the collection.

Would I get ugly looks?

dude your title made me laugh out loud.  funny stuff.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I am part Arab, so imagine the looks I get at the range with my AKs...   especially out in cow country
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The pun.
I yelled "movie" in a crowded firehouse.
Most "normal" folks would want to yell "fire" in a crowded movie house.
Geez!
Am I the only one here with a sophisticated sense of humor?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The pun.
I yelled "movie" in a crowded firehouse.
Most "normal" folks would want to yell "fire" in a crowded movie house.
Geez!
Am I the only one here with a sophisticated sense of humor? hr

h.gif

Boma, I seriously doubt anywhere you go in TX would give a crap what  you shoot, the evilier the better here. If you dressed up in VC gear and showed up to the range I go to everyone would get a good laugh and you'd make some friends. Get an AK, you'll love it!

BTW, where in tx are you?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I get the pun now. =)

I'm from Houston, TX.  Born here.

Quit with the VC gear jokes! I don't want to wear that stuff. =)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Boma ...you were born in TEXAS ! Dang, man ....no one's gonna screw with You. I saw a Vietnamese American guy driving in Arlington, Tx...with a bumper sticker that said "The South Shall Rise Again"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I get the pun now. =)

yo!,.. there is a super kick ass range out on the western side of houston,..almost in surgarland,...
i cant remember the name,.. but it is at the G.W.Bush park on hwy 6 south of I-10,...you have to turn by the cheveron station and go by the TX nat. guard armory,,...

there is a good gunstore further down hwy 6,.. FOUNTAIN FIREARMS,...i had all my online purchases sent there while i was overseas to hold untill i got back,....if you get lost ask them for directions

but that range i am talking about is just beautiful,...and huge
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
What you want to be a RANGE PIMP
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Last weekend one of our clubs RO's asked me if he could measure the length of my AR w/ the collapsible stock fully closed & extended as he was building new gun racks and wanted to ensure all the members (including AR guys) were taken care of.  

ETA: I also had my WASR 10 w/ me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It must be a bad pun, b/c I don't get it either.

You gotta be kidding, I laughed out loud at that story!

maybe I'm just simple...

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I get the pun now. =)

yo!,.. there is a super kick ass range out on the western side of houston,..almost in surgarland,...
i cant remember the name,.. but it is at the G.W.Bush park on hwy 6 south of I-10,...you have to turn by the cheveron station and go by the TX nat. guard armory,,...

there is a good gunstore further down hwy 6,.. FOUNTAIN FIREARMS,...i had all my online purchases sent there while i was overseas to hold untill i got back,....if you get lost ask them for directions

but that range i am talking about is just beautiful,...and huge

Sounds Nice.  It would probably take me almost an hour to get there =) I live in North Houston.  I'll check it out in the future.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I would give you ugly looks if you put AR accessories on your AK  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top