BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Chamber vacuum sealers (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2024 4:37:29 PM EDT
Looking at Avid Armor and Anova so far.

Any others I should consider?  I freeze a lot of chicken, fish, beef, pork, sausage, home-cured salamis, etc.. Looking for the biggest chamber I can find without going off the rails on price.

Please share your experiences/pros/cons with these or any other brands/models.

Anova - $350 - 12" x 8.6" x 3" chamber

Avid Armor Ultra USV32 - $600 - 11.5” x 12” x 3.5” chamber

Avid Armor Ultra USVX - $410 - 10.5” x 10.5” x 3.5” chamber

Avid Armor Ultra USV20 - $350 - 12.25” x 8.5” x 3” chamber

Avid Armor Ultra ONE - $275 - 10.5” x 10” x 2.25” chamber
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It works really well, but expensive. Buy the biggest one you can afford or plan on cutting everything up into smaller portions. Ours needs to be bigger.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeffru] [#2]
I have a VacMaster VP 215

Picked another one up yesterday on Facebook Marketplace for $300.

One of my bosses has an Avid he has no complaints
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
VacMaster master race checking in.   Ours gets a shit ton of use.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like some use an oil-filled pump and some are oil-free.  Pros & cons of each?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
It looks like some use an oil-filled pump and some are oil-free.  Pros & cons of each?
View Quote

oil pumps require oil changes but should last longer than oilless
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Handydave:
Bought a max vac from Costco. Hard to beat their return policy.

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer-.product.100536866.html?COSTID=iosapp_deeplink_24.4.1&TRACKING=NO&sh=true&nf=true
View Quote

I've had this one as well for around 3 yrs. Seal everything from steak to fresh blueberries.  Works well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: manchu39] [#9]
I’m dipping a toe with this one. Just got it so can’t speak on it yet, but reviews seem legit. I believe it’s $329 after register.

Vevor
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a VacMaster VP95...haven't used it yet....

I know the others probably work a tad better but this one I had more options of where to put it due to weight.  It is still kinda heavy for it size but not quite as bad as some of the others.

I am single so not storing meals for a family either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By manchu39:
I’m dipping a toe with this one. Just got it so can’t speak on it yet, but reviews seem legit. I believe it’s $329 after register.

Vevor
View Quote

$288 at my ebay link above
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
God damn it arfcom....

I'm in, but can someone tell me why this is better than my foodsaver?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: manchu39] [#13]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

$288 at my ebay link above
View Quote

Shit I wish I had that link last week. TY for sharing will pass along
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By nsw8148:
God damn it arfcom....

View Quote

being able to seal liquid and mylar are the big ones
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
i actually had a thread about these things that's already gone to archive but here it is for those of you chamber vac curious...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/you-may-not-know-it-but-you-need-a-chamber-vacuum-sealer/5-2700641/
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
God damn it arfcom....

View Quote

I don’t own one, yet. From what I have read it’s all around better than yours or mine foodsaver.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piciphant] [#17]
cool
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
God damn it arfcom....

View Quote

Chamber sealers apply vacuum inside and out of the package, so atmospheric pressure doesn't try to pre-seal the package. Food saver bags have internal ridges to fight this, but makes sealing wet products a pain.

Plus, the bags are cheaper for chamber machines. Some even offer the ability to make your own bags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
@TexRdnec

Where'd you get that bag?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
JVR Vac100

This is their consumer model.  Great design, so changing the oil is super easy.  Really works with liquids.  Have only had for 4 months, but this thing is a phenomenal.  That being said, I’m very much a buy once cry once person.  This model weighs 52 Lbs.

If you want to go commercial mode, check out their Vac110 model.  Weighs in at 85 Lbs., and will likely handle everything you could ever throw at it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
@TexRdnec

Where'd you get that bag?
View Quote

all my mylar is packfreshusa and that'd be a quart size

https://packfreshusa.com/quart-7-mil-seal-top-premium-gusset-mylar-bags-and-oxygen-absorbers/
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Chamber sealers apply vacuum inside and out of the package, so atmospheric pressure doesn't try to pre-seal the package. Food saver bags have internal ridges to fight this, but makes sealing wet products a pain.

Plus, the bags are cheaper for chamber machines. Some even offer the ability to make your own bags.
View Quote
I make a lot of pulled pork during the summer and vacuum seal leftovers to freeze and reheat in the bag.  It's really great and juicy reheated but holy shit is it irritating to vacuum seal it with all the juices that always end up getting everywhere.

I need to watch some videos on these because I just sealed some up tonight so if this solves my problems, it's the perfect timing for an impulse purchase.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#23]
God damn it arfcom....

View Quote

Chamber vacuum sealers can do stuff like soups and other liquids 87 million times better than a food saver, probably with the liquid straw option.  Gives you way more options on marinating stuff and other storage needs.

ETA...beat
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I make a lot of pulled pork during the summer and vacuum seal leftovers to freeze and reheat in the bag.  It's really great and juicy reheated but holy shit is it irritating to vacuum seal it with all the juices that always end up getting everywhere.

I need to watch some videos on these because I just sealed some up tonight so if this solves my problems, it's the perfect timing for an impulse purchase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

just go ahead and buy one now, then spend time on youtube while you wait for it

you'll throw fucking rocks at your foodsaver afterwards
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#25]
God damn it arfcom....

View Quote
Sure.  Your foodsaver pumps the air out of the bag and then seals it.  They work ok.  You're going to struggle with a bag of soup or chili, or even with the blood in gound beef getting in the sealing area or coming out of the bag.  They don't do wets very well.  

The chamber sealer removes the air from the entire chamber down to an almost perfect vacuum while the bag is sitting there open.  Then it seals the bag and lets air back in to the chamber.  There is no air in the bag, so it just slams around the food all at once because there is no air in the bag, but it's already sealed so there's nowhere for liquid to go.  It does this without having to suck the air out of just the bag, so if there's liquid in there, it stays in place.  It's also a lot closer to a perfect zero oxygen environment than you're ever going to get by sucking the air out through a tube.  

It'll last longer in the freezer with less chance of freezer burn.  I've got some ground beef in my freezer right now that is three years old and looks like it's fresh while it's frozen solid.  Zero oxidation on it.

I have this one:  https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preserve/food-sealer/vacuum-sealers/chamber-vacuum-sealer/1117075.html#start=1
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Avid Armor USV20.
If I were to do it again I would get the USV32 for the slightly larger chamber.
Most of the time the USV20 is fine, especially since I freeze food in 2 person portions. But occasionally a couple of extra inches to work with would be nice (Insert That's what she said joke).

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Will the chamber sealers seal mylar bags? My Foodsaver does not do that well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bajagringo:
Will the chamber sealers seal mylar bags? My Foodsaver does not do that well.
View Quote

Check the specifics for a model before buying but it should.
I have to adjust the seal time depending on the thickness of the mylar but the Avid Armor's seal mylar fine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
OP what ever you get make sure it can use commercial bags, it opens a whole new world of stuff that the home sealers can't touch...We bought 2 used commercial sealers that both needed the lids welded because they cracked..they were on a fish processor and they finally replaced them..we paid 500 for the pair delivered, welded the cracks up, replaced about a 100 bucks worth of seals and have 2 nice commercial sealers..Good commercial sealers  also will give you control of vacuum levels, heat levels and sealing times so you can always have good seals regardless of use cycle and bag chosen....Ours are dual chamber sealers which basically means you have 2 sealers in 1...You can get similar commercial sealers in all sorts of sizes and shapes, including counter top versions...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#30]
A bit off topic here, I did ask in the survival forum.
When storing frozen butter, to avoid freezer smell absorption. Is it best to use vacuum sealed bags or mylar bags?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#31]
i actually had a thread about these things that's already gone to archive but here it is for those of you chamber vac curious...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/you-may-not-know-it-but-you-need-a-chamber-vacuum-sealer/5-2700641/
View Quote

Thank you!  I knew that it existed but I couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#32]
A bit off topic here, I did ask in the survival forum.
When storing frozen butter, to avoid freezer smell absorption. Is it best to use vacuum sealed bags or mylar bags?
View Quote

mylar bags are better all the way around but i'd think it'd be overkill for that
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Would you go with it over these I've found local? Debating on ordering it, or buying one of these.Theres a vacmaster VP112S ($150), a Wevac CV12 for $400, or a vacpack C13F which has the oil pump at $425 all on marketplace local to me. We have a lot of lefteovers so I think I can get my moneys worth out of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#34]
Originally Posted By bigfugly:

Would you go with it over these I've found local? Debating on ordering it, or buying one of these.Theres a vacmaster VP112S ($150), a Wevac CV12 for $400, or a vacpack C13F which has the oil pump at $425 all on marketplace local to me. We have a lot of lefteovers so I think I can get my moneys worth out of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigfugly:

vacmaster is king, if you can pick up a good used one cheap you should

for what they cost new the vevor is a clear winner

ETA:  just looked up what that was, vevor all the way
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#35]
sale on the little vevor

Amazon Product
  • Premium Sealing Effect: Motor Power: 180W. Max. Sealing Size:13 x 9.8 in/33 x 25 cm. Vacuum Pump Rate:6.5cbm/h. Chamber Size: 13 x 10.6 x 2 in. Thanks to the high-performance pump and large sealing size, our chamber vacuum sealer effectively extends a product's storage period and ensures that foods still keep their original taste.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the Avid Armor USVX.  It seals really well.

We did 120lb of chicken breast the other day with it.   Only thing we had to do was let it cool down for 10 min about every 40 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Do you think that model would fit a gallon sized mylar gusset bag?  No issues with sealing the 7mm thick bags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Vacmaster VP545. We use it all the time.  We can seal a whole turkey. 6, 2 # bags of hamburger at a time.  We only use 3 and 4 mil bags. They cost between 2.4 cents to 7 cents a piece. We buy them in boxes of a thousand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Blasternank:

Do you think that model would fit a gallon sized mylar gusset bag?  No issues with sealing the 7mm thick bags?

Thanks
View Quote

Yes it would and it seals Mylar with no problem
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#40]
sale on the little vevor

www.amazon.com/dp/B0B58ZJN6W
View Quote

I have determined that it’s cheaper to go to a titty bar than read Arfcom threads.

Ordered, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]

I have determined that it’s cheaper to go to a titty bar than read Arfcom threads.

View All Quotes
sale on the little vevor

Maybe so but there’s a much lower chance of picking up any STDs so you’ve got that going for you
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Other than less air(oxygen) in the bag. Is there any advantage to vacuum sealing freeze dried foods in Mylar with O2 absorber?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the anova. I wish it was bigger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Other than less air(oxygen) in the bag. Is there any advantage to vacuum sealing freeze dried foods in Mylar with O2 absorber?
View Quote

i see no advantage at all, more disadvantage

when i tried to combine the two i just got mylar bags that got smaller and smaller until they looked like they were wadded up

if you're using a big enough oxygen absorber then all that's left is mostly nitrogen which helps preserve the food

chamber vacuums are awesome but for freeze dried shit i see zero reason to use them
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#45]

when i tried to combine the two i just got mylar bags that got smaller and smaller until they looked like they were wadded up

if you're using a big enough oxygen absorber then all that's left is mostly nitrogen which helps preserve the food

chamber vacuums are awesome but for freeze dried shit i see zero reason to use them
View All Quotes

That was my thought. Never hurts to ask for advice.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#46]
I’ve had the Avid Armor USV32 for several years. I’ve processed/packaged a few deer in an evening, packaged daily servings of like 15# of bacon and put it through some work. No regrets whatsoever.

I use it a lot more than I thought I would.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Handydave:
Bought a max vac from Costco. Hard to beat their return policy.

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer-.product.100536866.html?COSTID=iosapp_deeplink_24.4.1&TRACKING=NO&sh=true&nf=true
View Quote

Came to post this. I’ve had mine for several years. It’s awesome. No issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
sale on the little vevor

View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Fill your bag with whatever you're sealing, then freeze it. Then seal as normal. No liquid mess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#50]
This place cost me money But on the brightside I now have my mothers day gift picked out
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Chamber vacuum sealers (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top