Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By TNRonin:
I found the mats, of all places.... swainmats.com.  FWIW, I'm allowed to be a smartass with Pubboy, we go back a couple years.  Give me a call if you decide to order, I wonder if we could save $$ on shipping.  I could drive over and pick them up.  I would like to get two of the accordian 4X6 mats.  I'll need some advance notice so I can save some.  I'm about to take a trip to London and need the $$ for that right now.

Smart-ass!

So they had the best price, I assume, since you are such a cheap skate!

That sounds like a good idea.

I'll check it out and give you a shout.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you know me, I shop, ya this is the best price.  I looked at as many of the features.  The ONLY place I found mats cheaper was on eBay, but my concern is the quality of the mats on there.  With Swain I can assume there is a warranty implied.  

If someone has any info I would appreciate it.

Take care.

M
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Resq2106, I train with Alan in Cookeville, dunno if you have met him.  Mickey and he are good friends.  I'm hoping to come down for the seminar that should be coming up.  I asked Mickey about it Friday when we were at Cowboys for Jeremy's fight and he wasn't sure either when we were having it.

I love the stuff though the guys were stand-offish (is that a word), but in retrospect I understand, I'm the only guy that has stayed in all the people that have came to the school since I started.  My son is now rolling with us and he likes this a bunch.  

The fight last Friday illustrated how much of this stuff really works!  

I told the guys I want to be the "old guy" that rolls with them.  Oh and they are much more friendly now that they see I'm not quitting.  Ha.

Mitch

Cool. How old is your son? Mickey is holding our first kids' tourny on April 12th.

Link Posted: 3/29/2008 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My boy is 12 and he is thinking about coming.  He is so new to this it might be a waste.  He is just coming off of wrestling and falls back into that occassionally.  We have a pretty busy month coming up.  I don't know if we will go.  I'm definately coming for Pedro's seminar though.

Mitch
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Pubboy, Pedro will be in Chat on the w/e of the 26-27th.  Cost is $100 for the seminar.  I need another gi.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#7]
I'll spread the word!

Check out M Kimonos.

http://mkimonos.com/mkimonos.com/
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap, I just tweaked my back!  I was just standing there talking to the wife leaned against a door went to straighten up and walk and BAM.  I could barely make it to the bed or easy chair.  Took a left over muscle relaxer.  Man I hope this doesn't last.

Mitch
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Pubboy, Pedro will be in Chat on the w/e of the 26-27th.  Cost is $100 for the seminar.  I need another gi.

I was just going to post this. It's at:

Chattanooga Jiu Jitsu Academy.
5503 Highway 153
Hixson, TN 37343-3737

(423) 874-0222
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Holy crap, I just tweaked my back!  I was just standing there talking to the wife leaned against a door went to straighten up and walk and BAM.  I could barely make it to the bed or easy chair.  Took a left over muscle relaxer.  Man I hope this doesn't last.

Mitch

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Mitch

Time to head to the chiropractor!
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#12]
Ya got to the chiropracter, I feel better, but have to watch it.  I want to try to roll on Friday, but don't know if I should.  I have a 1600hr appt Fri with the Chiropracter so I'll get his opinion then.  Mickey is coming in and it will be hard not to.

It looks like my boy wants to come to Chattanooga on Saturday.  Since the Knob is cancelled we are now free.  I feel he should go to see some other kids roll, he is by no means ready to compete, but I think he needs exposure.

Mitch
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Ya got to the chiropracter, I feel better, but have to watch it.  I want to try to roll on Friday, but don't know if I should.  I have a 1600hr appt Fri with the Chiropracter so I'll get his opinion then.  Mickey is coming in and it will be hard not to.

It looks like my boy wants to come to Chattanooga on Saturday.  Since the Knob is cancelled we are now free.  I feel he should go to see some other kids roll, he is by no means ready to compete, but I think he needs exposure.

Mitch

Hope you get better soon. Both of mine will be rolling saturday. I'll be there. Holler at me if you can make it!

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
He is bouncing back and forth, he is leary about going cause he will feels he will get his ass beat.  LOL.

Mickey is coming in Friday, I'm going to have him talk to the boy and see if he will change his mind.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#15]

He is bouncing back and forth, he is leary about going cause he will feels he will get his ass beat.  LOL.

Mickey is coming in Friday, I'm going to have him talk to the boy and see if he will change his mind.  

Tell him you'll beat his ass if he doesn't! And ask Mickey about his "action figure" the Chicken Hawk gave him!
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Resq it was nice meeting you.  It appears Mickey is running a class act school!  That was an epic battle today wasn't it?  I busted all over him about beating up girls.  

Mickey was saying that he will be offering more opportunities.  Jeremy said that Cameron will have to roll with an older group next go around.  Cameron will have to improve considerably before he is ready for that.

Again, nice meeting ya.

Mitch
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Resq it was nice meeting you.  It appears Mickey is running a class act school!  That was an epic battle today wasn't it?  I busted all over him about beating up girls.  

Mickey was saying that he will be offering more opportunities.  Jeremy said that Cameron will have to roll with an older group next go around.  Cameron will have to improve considerably before he is ready for that.

Again, nice meeting ya.

Mitch

Always good to meet a fellow Arfcomer. Cameron's match was most definitely worth the price of admission! He'a a really great kid. After he submitted the Chicken Hawk, Grayson was pretty upset, and Cameron made it a point to come over several times to tell him how well he did, and that says a lot about Cameron's character and upbringing. We are looking forward to the next time. Mickey said he had so much fun he would be doing them pretty regularly now.

BTW, since you passed on Cici's Pizza after the tourney, I had to eat twice as much to pick up your slack! You owe me!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Ha too funny.  Jeremy the guy that is the pro fighter wanted to go where he could get his type of food.  I farted all night long!  

We'll probably be at the next one.  I worked with him on some more submissions from the mount.  We just have to drill drill drill.

Mitch
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
tourney pics?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I would but that would mean I have to upload the crap etc... I'll just send it in the phone.  did you get the one of him making time with the gilrs.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]

I would but that would mean I have to upload the crap etc... I'll just send it in the phone.  did you get the one of him making time with the gilrs.  LOL

That was great... learned from the master...
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By PUBBOY:
tourney pics?

I've got a few cell phone pics of my boys. It was pretty funny, when Grayson started taking BJJ after watching his big bro for a year, he started talking smack about what he was going to do to said big bro. Well, as luck would have it, their first match was against each other. After Jeff owned him in about 30 seconds... Well, that put a stop to the mouth!

He did get a medal for participating, though. He thought that was pretty cool...

All in all, he was really game, and showed us a lot. I'm very proud of both of them.

P.S. Who's that shady looking character leaning against the counter in pic #3?

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
You Bastige you got my fat ass in the pic!!!!  Damn, I was feeling pretty good loosing the weight, it don't look it in that pic.  Ding dang it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]

You Bastige you got my fat ass in the pic!!!!  Damn, I was feeling pretty good loosing the weight, it don't look it in that pic.  Ding dang it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Spent a few years with Dan "The Beast" Severn here in Michigan.  Heavy BJJ base for the ground work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Feedingcannibal:
Spent a few years with Dan "The Beast" Severn here in Michigan.  Heavy BJJ base for the ground work.

What an impressive individual. He always looked to me like his armspan was about 8 feet!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Not Brazilian per se, but I've been doing "American Ju Jitsu" for about a year and a half now.  I love it, great stuff and a great work out!  My schools site Crawford's MMA

We do no gi, with more of a focus on the MMA aspects of it.

Does it feel weird to anyone else hitting "submit"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Theodore:
Not Brazilian per se, but I've been doing "American Ju Jitsu" for about a year and a half now.  I love it, great stuff and a great work out!  My schools site Crawford's MMA

Curtis Stout is out of that camp, right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Click it, don't tap it.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Curtis Stout is out of that camp, right?

Yes he is!  Rob Kimmon's is the other "famous" name that is out of our school... Rib is still very active and teaches a lot, I haven't seen Curtis in for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]
train with Richard Bresler ( Gracie BB) at my Krav Maga school in L.A....only an hour a week though. Wish I would have more time to dedicate to bjj. I see it as a complement in my Krav training
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#33]
anyone know of a greatr BJJ facility around the los angeles area? or anywhere around here?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 12:49:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#34]

Originally Posted By yellowface:
anyone know of a greatr BJJ facility around the los angeles area? or anywhere around here?  

Are you kidding?

You can't swing a dead cat in L.A. without hitting a Gracie.

Royce's school is in Torrence. I'd start there.

You could also check out the Machado dojo in Pasadena. I think it's on Colorado

Link Posted: 4/26/2008 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#35]
height=8
height=8
anyone know of a greatr BJJ facility around the los angeles area? or anywhere around here?  hout

Thank you very much!!!!! royce school it is!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Are you kidding?

You can't swing a dead cat in L.A. without witting a Gracie.

No problem. Prepare to be sore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#37]
beverly hills jiu jitsu club
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PUBBOY] [#38]

Originally Posted By exocet:
beverly hills jiu jitsu club

Doh!
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Are you kidding?

You can't swing a dead cat in L.A. without witting a Gracie.

So did you check them out?

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow can't beleive I haven't seen this thread until now. I've been training BJJ for about two years. I'm a huge mma fan and love mma training. CT doesn't have alot of BJJ schools but I've been training at Gracie.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Hello to all. I have done a little ground fighting(very little). I read something about Alan from Cookeville. I have been thinking about training at Alpha for a while now. It all depends on how my schedule works out.  It is good to know their are some local boys on arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Hello everyone.

Only been training for a few months at Fairfax JJ.  We had 5 or 6 guys go to Worlds this weekend, haven't heard any results yet.  Anyone from your gyms make it out to Cali?

What did you guys think about Roger losing in the finals AGAIN.

BTW, this is pure awesomeness, from this weekend.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Michael_B:
Hello everyone.

Only been training for a few months at Fairfax JJ.  We had 5 or 6 guys go to Worlds this weekend, haven't heard any results yet.  Anyone from your gyms make it out to Cali?

What did you guys think about Roger losing in the finals AGAIN.

BTW, this is pure awesomeness, from this weekend.  

AWESOME! Damn, that guy can move.

Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]

AWESOME! Damn, that guy can move.

yea, I'm pretty sure Galvao was/is Wanderlei's BJJ coach.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#45]
2 stripe blue under Royce Gracie here been off for a couple of months due to work. Started in 1997 in JJJ and attained BB then went for GJJ and got my blue in 04. I work as a cop and before that in corrections and BJJ has saved my ass on several occasions.
Its not the end all be all but I would recomend anyone wanting to learn a martial art start with it and MT.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Wanted to drop in and say howdy to everyone.  I'm not a BJJ guy, but I just got my BB in Kempojujitsu.  We do 50/50.  Half stand up , half ground work.  Our school does both MMa and self defense.  I started out in MMA, did that for a couple of years, then switched to traditional KJJ.  We have rolled with a lot of BJJ guys and top notch wrestlers.  The school is Champions' Martial Arts in Effingham Illinois.   A lot of our guys fight in alot of different shows in the Midwest.  

Personally, I love the ground game.  I started out in Judo as a kid, then did TKD in junior high, and wrestled in high school.  Jujitsu came pretty naturally to me.  Once I got comfortable on my back, my game improved immensely.

I am reminded of the quote; I believe it was JJ Machado who said: I am a shark, the ground is my water, and most people can't swim.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By downstatetrapper:
Wanted to drop in and say howdy to everyone.  I'm not a BJJ guy, but I just got my BB in Kempojujitsu.  We do 50/50.  Half stand up , half ground work.  Our school does both MMa and self defense.  I started out in MMA, did that for a couple of years, then switched to traditional KJJ.  We have rolled with a lot of BJJ guys and top notch wrestlers.  The school is Champions' Martial Arts in Effingham Illinois.   A lot of our guys fight in alot of different shows in the Midwest.  

Personally, I love the ground game.  I started out in Judo as a kid, then did TKD in junior high, and wrestled in high school.  Jujitsu came pretty naturally to me.  Once I got comfortable on my back, my game improved immensely.

I am reminded of the quote; I believe it was JJ Machado who said: I am a shark, the ground is my water, and most people can't swim.

Quite true.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I got my blue from the Migliarese brothers (Team Balance) great guys with a really good school.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mantis] [#49]
Two years at Buffalo BJJ. My instructor was a direct student of Carlson Gracie until Carlson's passing a couple of years ago. Our chief instructor is now Ricardo De La Riva from Brazil. De La Riva visits our school about twice a year. De La Riva is not a large man, but I've seen him absolutely destroy guys almost twice his size. Rolling with him is like trying to roll with a ghost.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_de_la_Riva_Goded
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:10:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KOBK] [#50]
Cool thread and funny you mention De La Riva.  Long story short, around the summer of 2000 a friend of mine got Marcello Monteiro up for a seminar (and became friends with him).  After Marcello moved up to Indy, we would drive down to train with him.  In May 05, at the second De La Riva seminar, I got my blue belt.  Unfortunately, Marcello keep moving around and it became almost a 2 1/2 hour drive to train.  In the fall of 2005, I started to train with Jason Fox at TotalJJ (got his Black Belt -RGDA in 08).  I got my purple belt at Royler seminar in June 08.
Pictures below with De La Riva and Marcello, and with Royler

A side note on Dan Severn, I meet him thought a mutual friend and got to play the part of Conan prior to Dan's fight with him in WEF 13.  My brother and I were one of his training partners for about 5 months prior to the fight.  This picture pretty much sums up those 5 months.

Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top