Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 6:11:43 AM EDT
Anyone wih a NYS Business restricted permit apply for the NYC permit?

How do you go about this? Do you need to go throught the fingerprinting process again?

How long does does this take?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't be too much of a help with this one other than to say you need to show a purpose to get your NYC validation.  IOW, you have to have a reason to have a gun in New York City specifically in order to get a NYC permit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking... I routinely carry around computer equipment that belongs to customers.  The equipment itself is often valued at more than $2000 and the value of the data inside potentially goes into the tens of thousands or more...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew an NYPD Lt. that was in charge of pistol permits over at 1 police plaza. I asked him about that once and he said you have to carrying alot of Cash to get a carry permit. He told me that goods do not count. If they did, every truck driver in the city would be carrying. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Cash and jewelry are two things I know will get you a permit.  $2,000 in computers?  That's laughable in the eyes of NYPD.  There is a case where they denied a permit to a bank manager who routinely transported $125,000 in cash.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was thinking... I routinely carry around computer equipment that belongs to customers.  The equipment itself is often valued at more than $2000 and the value of the data inside potentially goes into the tens of thousands or more...

If this qualifies, maybe I can get a carry permit for when I go out in the city wearing all my bling.  Come on, if goods counted, that would mean every gang bangin' rapper would be justified in getting a carry permit.  So would every trophy wife shopping on Madison Ave. wearing over $20k in clothes and $100k in jewelry.  That would be a sweet process to see:

"Well officer, shopping IS my business and I cannot properly carry out these duties without my uniform (i.e. mink coat, tiffany diamonds,  Cartier watch.)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
To clarify -- you have to be a courier of jewelry to qualify.  A friend of mine who works for a diamond wholesaler (and who is smoking hot good looking) routinely transports up to several million dollars in gemstones at a time.  She was told she could obtain a NYC carry permit but ultimately decided not to -- her logic was that if she had a gun she'd be more likely to be hurt in a robbery.

Ordinarily, I'd poo-poo that thinking, but in her case, the likely threat is from professional gem thieves who go out of there way not to hurt anybody in a heist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top