Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:43 AM EDT
Since ATT now controls SBC, who is a good alternative?

Or I should ask who to stay away from?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Time Warner?  If you have high speed internet at home, a lot of the VOIP services do a pretty good job (with the downside of maybe not getting to the right place when you dial 911 ).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since ATT now controls SBC, who is a good alternative?

Or I should ask who to stay away from?

I think it's the other way around. SBC purchased AT+T.The only changes I've seen are cosmetic(new logos on trucks,shirts,and hardhats,etc). There haven't been any policy changes as far as customer services are concerned.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you are looking for.

If it's for business?

Nobody can beat Logix, hands down.  Good custoemr service and not a fracking menu system when you call customer support (a live body picks up the phone!)

For home?  I suggest Vonage, if you can get High speed internet (other than DSL).  Too bad DSL isn't offered in TX in an unbound package (meaning you don't have to keep a telephone number to receive DSL).

And as has been said, AT&T was consumed into the monster known as SBC.

ETA: Clarity and spelling
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]

I thought it was the other way around. Isn't the SBC branding going away? Sad to see an old name like Southwestern Bell go away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I thought it was the other way around. Isn't the SBC branding going away? Sad to see an old name like Southwestern Bell go away.

From SBC website:

SBC To Acquire AT&T, Creates Premier, Global Provider
The $16 billion transaction creates a company with robust, high-quality network assets, both in the United States and around the globe, and complementary expertise and capabilities. It will have the resources and skill sets to innovate and more quickly deliver to customers the next generation of advanced, integrated IP-based wireline and wireless communications services.

sbc.merger-news.com/

SBC for years bitched that the competition had stripped them of money, and that the competition laws forced them to lease lines at a loss.

But they've managed to buy AT&T, Dish Network, and Pacific Bell without batting an eye.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.  When GTE and Atlantic Bell merged (hostile takeover to us old GTE folks) the FTC told the new company they could not use GTE or Bell in the name so they chose Verizon.  Wonder why the same didn't apply here?

At this rate it won't be long before there is only One.  Please let me get my 30 in before that happens.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
and now the beast sets it's sights on Bell South......
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Depends on what you are looking for.

If it's for business?

Nobody can beat Logix, hands down.  Good custoemr service and not a fracking menu system when you call customer support (a live body picks up the phone!)

For home?  I suggest Vonage, if you can get High speed internet (other than DSL).  Too bad DSL isn't offered in TX in an unbound package (meaning you don't have to keep a telephone number to receive DSL).

ETA: Clarity and spelling

I would second that I use Vonage with Time Warner cable modem (it is cheaper than the TW phone service) has been working pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top