Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:08:49 AM EDT
Hoping to get some feedback on these guys... I livce in PA, but something o ntheir site caught my eye. Anyone had experience with them-good/bad? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:28:18 AM EDT
Everytime I go in there they are always nice and helpful. They show me whatever I want, and I have never been pressured to buy.

Their prices are generally high on almost everything, but I did get a great deal on a SAR 3 AK-47 once.

So I'd say, if it's what you want and the price is right, they seem like decent people.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:30:45 AM EDT
if you poke around through their used guns, you can sometimes find good deals. mind you, SOMETIMES. The staff are very nice and helpful, but I'm rather wary of their prices and I don't like to sell anything to them because they offer you almost nothing in exchange.

i.e. tried selling my elite 2 9mm to them a while back, said $400 max and I know they were planning on putting it up for at least $750 since they had NEW ones for $850 and mine had been in pristine condition.

Finally sold it to a relative of uhsammy's.

I'm very wary of the business practices of collector's firearms, despite their attitudes, I think they're just a TAD bit shady on some things.

Their book selection is extensive and nice, but also EXPENSIVE. Another example being their HK bible they have for sale for $150 where you can find anywhere else for $100 even.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:37:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:33:04 AM EDT
I did get a horsehide little conceal carrying holster and nice leather belt at Collectors.. it was in a container where nothing was priced. The nice serviceman just said $5 for the two. The holster was exactly what I was looking for, fitting my little 45 perfectly! I would have paid $45 for it, but I got it for $5, with a decent belt thrown in.

Their prices are high on most things, I agree. However, sometimes you'll just see an old 'one of a kind' WWI/II or old foreign made rifle in the condition you want.. and so their selection in that regard is important.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:12:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By COZ_45:

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:

i.e. tried selling my elite 2 9mm to them a while back, said $400 max and I know they were planning on putting it up for at least $750 since they had NEW ones for $850 and mine had been in pristine condition.

Finally sold it to a relative of uhsammy's.

Did you warn him about the "Drop Test" you did on it?

right...............
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:13:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 75273:
I did get a horsehide little conceal carrying holster and nice leather belt at Collectors.. it was in a container where nothing was priced. The nice serviceman just said $5 for the two. The holster was exactly what I was looking for, fitting my little 45 perfectly! I would have paid $45 for it, but I got it for $5, with a decent belt thrown in.

Their prices are high on most things, I agree. However, sometimes you'll just see an old 'one of a kind' WWI/II or old foreign made rifle in the condition you want.. and so their selection in that regard is important.

yeah that little holster and box bin is sometimes fun to go through. I got a holster from them one time for $5. a little nylon holster for my sig and beretta 92g since the hungarian leather one I got was a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:40:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 11:40:50 AM EDT by MauserMark]
Their C&R selection is huge but like everything else in the store, way over-priced. I go a few times a year and have been for about the last 3 years. 90% of what's on the C&R shelf area has been there for three years at least.

They do offer a nice book collection, and copies of books out of print or rare that go on ebay for about the same price.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
I've bought one rifle from them, sold them a rifle and used them for a transfer on a handgun ($50.00). They are a higher priced store, but they know what they are doing and only deal in quality guns. They used to have a great gunsmith there, but no longer work on weapons at the store. Don't pay the asking price on anything, they will work on prices to make a sale. A friend got a 250 marked 12 guage for 200 out the door with 3 free boxes of shells. Hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:32:53 AM EDT
website order? dont know

in person?

depending on what section you go to is what attitude you will get. most of the time the service their is decent but the others its bad. lots to look through and see in person but not so much they have there goes for a fair price when compared to other smaller shops.

imo the place is a great one to window shop and an occasional mis-marked price
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
Its kind of a high riced permanent gunshow.

I got a great deal on a submachinegun case fro the unmarked bin!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:42:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SC-Texas:

Yeah them high rices suck

I hate the place, most of their floor guns are beat to shit and over priced (err riced) and they can be real dicks sometimes (ok maybe its only a few of their sales people). I view it more as a common gun museum, nothing that interesting to me and all non touchable. They also will try to sell used guns occasionally as new so watch out. Of course I've not beeen there in 3 years so it might have changed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:43 AM EDT
It's one of those gun shops that if you're visiting Houston, you have to drop in to. The inventory is incredible, the layout of the store is excellent-much like a firearms museum-and for my interests, their 1911 inventory is a joy to behold. All that said, they charge full retail plus 15-20%. I mean, they are damn proud of what they're selling. Depending on what you're looking for though, you may pay it if they in fact have the firearm you've been looking for, and can't find it anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:48:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:07:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mongo63A:

Originally Posted By SC-Texas:

Yeah them high rices suck

I hate the place, most of their floor guns are beat to shit and over priced (err riced) and they can be real dicks sometimes (ok maybe its only a few of their sales people). I view it more as a common gun museum, nothing that interesting to me and all non touchable. They also will try to sell used guns occasionally as new so watch out. Of course I've not beeen there in 3 years so it might have changed.

almost all of them from my experiences have been very nice except for the owner himself. he shows up sometimes in jeans or overalls, it's hilarious how much of a slob he is when the rest of his staff is rather pristine. he's easy to spot, he looks like some kentucky hillbilly with a "go fuck yourself" look on his face. never smiles and will sometimes glare at you if he doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:51:39 AM EDT
[quote)

he looks like some kentucky hillbilly with a "go fuck yourself" look on his face. never smiles and will sometimes glare at you if he doesn't like you.

Yeowch!!!!! I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
my one question is how do they stay in business?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:01:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

there are lots of people out there who dont know any better and just know that they want to buy a gun
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 9:09:18 AM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

there are lots of people out there who dont know any better and just know that they want to buy a gun

true.

honestly (and someone in the biz can confirm or deny this) the internet has probably been the worst thing to happen for the carnie gun dealer types and gun shops like this. Before the internet where one could get realistic quotes on firearms, you had to rely on the local sellers, and had little idea if they were price gouging or not.

and there's still evidence that a LARGE group of gun owners/buyers in america still haven't figured out there is something called da intraweb where you can look this stuff up. It's evident at the fun shows when you see with your own eyes, someone paying $500 for a Romanian WASR or "Soviet legal AK-47 assault rifle"

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:14:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

true.

honestly (and someone in the biz can confirm or deny this) the internet has probably been the worst thing to happen for the carnie gun dealer types and gun shops like this. Before the internet where one could get realistic quotes on firearms, you had to rely on the local sellers, and had little idea if they were price gouging or not.

and there's still evidence that a LARGE group of gun owners/buyers in america still haven't figured out there is something called da intraweb where you can look this stuff up. It's evident at the fun shows when you see with your own eyes, someone paying $500 for a Romanian WASR or "Soviet legal AK-47 assault rifle"

It's the worst thing to happen for dealers of firearms, cars, vacuum cleaners, fruit, furniture, whatever. The curtain has been pulled aside, and now the consumer has access to it all. And we like it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:03:38 PM EDT
You can find deals there, but it's more miss then hit.

They have a very odd rule about "assault weapons". Younger brother of a friend of mine wanted to buy a DPMS .308 from Collections, and they wouldn't even let him see it, yet alone touch it, because he wasn't 21.

I've picked up a few things from them, all used or mil-surp. Traded back a .22 MAG and only lost $30 from what I paid for it. Their buckets of crap are interesting to dig through, found a few belly bands for $3, a tac sling for $2, some holsters for $5, a cheek rest for $4, etc.

They oddly have a good local price on bore snakes. Had good prices on some of their Kimbers too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:26:01 PM EDT

Like any high price boutique they sell to those with money that are too good for more common shops
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:08:38 AM EDT
Collectors is an honorable store. If you make a deal with them, they will follow through with the transaction. They are definately not a fly-by-night operation. If you found what you want on their site, and it is a good deal, than go for it.

I usually stop by there once a month with RoughEdge, basically on a boring sunday, just to look around. I tend to throw a little buisness in the direction of those stores that i window shop at, even if they are a little overpriced on an item. You have to support your local shops, so they don't go under.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
I bought from them once, and probably wont ever go back. I went in and asked to look at their old flags. The guy didnt say no, but he acted like i was just wasting his time. I finally found one I wanted and dropped 300 bucks for it. They were acting like dicks the whole time. Lets just say that the only reason I bought it was because it is really RARE and hard to find. Not too many of these left. Otherwise, i would have walked out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:08:55 PM EDT
What kind of flag?
Top Top