Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 2:00:48 PM EDT
Ive got a pistol I sold on Gunbroker that I need to ship. I was planning on shipping UPS, but Fedex seems to be alot cheaper, not  to mention less likely to lose the package. I tried looking on the Fedex website but couldnt find anything usefull, even tried the phonebook. Does anyone here know of a Fedex ship center that allows handgun shipments and isnt to far from the Mesquite area?? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
are you an FFL dealer?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
are you an FFL dealer?

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Kinko's.  I think they handle FedEx shipments now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I called several of the kinkos places today, they all said they werent authorized to handle firearm shipments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called several of the kinkos places today, they all said they werent authorized to handle firearm shipments.

Fedex policy is to only accept firearms at fedex staffed locations...(not kinko's)

search here:  www.fedex.com/Dropoff/start?locale=en_US

Results for a Dallas search:

FedExStaffed
2963 N Airfield Dr
Dallas,  TX  75261

3.84 miles  
M-Th 12:00 PM-10:00 PM
Fri 12:00 PM-10:00 PM
Sat 2:30 PM-7:30 PM  
M-Th 10:00 PM
Fri 10:00 PM
Sat 7:30 PM  
M-Th 5:00 PM
Fri 5:00 PM
No Sat Pickup, Express , Ground , Packaging Supplies Available , FedEx Returns  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
FEDEX tried to charge the shipper about $60 to send me my pistol... what a rip! Luckily, they delivered a restricted item (per FEDEX) ate and to the WRONG ADDRESS w/o signature as REQUIRED BY FEDEX, and I knew how to handle it and got the guy a full refund and told him to keep the portion I paid for...

I recently had to ship a pistol to another state. The company said to use UPS or FEDEX, and that there's no laws preventing me from sending it cheaply... So I broke it down and boxed it up in a small square box, put a label on it, and went to the local UPS "store front." Guy asked what it was, I was vague-- said it was parts, which it was, and I insured them.... $8 insured, standard ground.

PS: you can always take it to a locla FFL and see if they will ship it for you. It can be cheaper that way, even savings in gas...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FEDEX tried to charge the shipper about $60 to send me my pistol... what a rip! Luckily, they delivered a restricted item (per FEDEX) ate and to the WRONG ADDRESS w/o signature as REQUIRED BY FEDEX, and I knew how to handle it and got the guy a full refund and told him to keep the portion I paid for...

I recently had to ship a pistol to another state. The company said to use UPS or FEDEX, and that there's no laws preventing me from sending it cheaply... So I broke it down and boxed it up in a small square box, put a label on it, and went to the local UPS "store front." Guy asked what it was, I was vague-- said it was parts, which it was, and I insured them.... $8 insured, standard ground.

PS: you can always take it to a locla FFL and see if they will ship it for you. It can be cheaper that way, even savings in gas...

Hmmm I might go this route then, I live less than 5 minutes from UPS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently got screwed over shippping a rifle FEDEX and wish I would have gone with UPS...you will have to ship it priority overnight (as is true for ALL firearms now) so get ready to hand it over and bend over at the same time...

ETA: I believe that an FFL can ship it through USPS so that would be even cheaper if he doesn't charge you anything more than to ship it. Of course, if he charges you a fee then....parts is parts!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
you have to go to the main place to ship firearms or ammo, no hubs.

i would rec. going with ups, make sure you insure it and all that good stuff just in case. with any carrier company you have average people working there so it is prone for error.

i have used ups multiple times and have never had a single problem, also pistols need to go overnight and that is usually a better service since there is less time for the guys working there to throw it around
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
also pistols need to go overnight

That's just policy, not law.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I recently got screwed over shippping a rifle FEDEX and wish I would have gone with UPS...you will have to ship it priority overnight (as is true for ALL firearms now) so get ready to hand it over and bend over at the same time...

ETA: I believe that an FFL can ship it through USPS so that would be even cheaper if he doesn't charge you anything more than to ship it. Of course, if he charges you a fee then....parts is parts!!!

I think you can ship long guns through USPS, but no handguns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you sold a handgun on Gunbroker federal law states you must take the handgun to a FFL for him to ship to another dealer. You are not allowed to ship handguns when change of ownership occurs. You are allowed to ship the handgun to a manufacturer or dealer for repair only, not for sale. I would strongly suggest you find a FFL to ship this for you.

This is not correct. As an individual you can ship a firearm across state lines to a FFL (infact you must send it to a FFL) This even applies if you are shipping it to a relative.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you sold a handgun on Gunbroker federal law states you must take the handgun to a FFL for him to ship to another dealer. You are not allowed to ship handguns when change of ownership occurs. You are allowed to ship the handgun to a manufacturer or dealer for repair only, not for sale. I would strongly suggest you find a FFL to ship this for you.

This is not correct. As an individual you can ship a firearm across state lines to a FFL (infact you must send it to a FFL) This even applies if you are shipping it to a relative.

Are you a federal licensed dealer?

USPS has the dealer to dealer regulation for pistols, no one else does. Its not federal law either as far as I know. Ive shipped handguns to dealers in the past, and Ive had handguns from non FFL's shipped to my dealer as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USPS has the dealer to dealer regulation for pistols, no one else does. Its not federal law either as far as I know. Ive shipped handguns to dealers in the past, and Ive had handguns from non FFL's shipped to my dealer as well.

+1

individuals may ship to a ffl dealer as long as the recieving dealer is willing to accept it.

eta perfectly legal for you to ship yourself firearms without the need of an ffl
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I would advise anyone against using DHL.  They have botched more shipments than any other carrier that I know of.  My friend, who is an FFL, had them drop a gun on the doorstep of a neighbor one street over, even though it was adult signature required.  NICE!!!!  When they have dropped stuff to my house, they never knock on the door, and I have literally seen them throw boxes from 15 feet from the door at my parents house via  a Closed circuit camera.  

Howard
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope but I know the Regs and others here have backed my point. I belive you maybe confusing the USPS requirement that does require FFL to FFL shipping of handguns (not MGs or rifles though).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#21]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun.
In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#22]
in the state of texas there is no registration of firearms, just paper trails.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope but I know the Regs and others here have backed my point. I belive you maybe confusing the USPS requirement that does require FFL to FFL shipping of handguns (not MGs or rifles though).

Well I am a FFL dealer and nowhere in the regs does it say an individual can sell handguns without first transferring the handgun to a dealer so he can ship it to a dealer. You can only ship a handgun to a dealer if you are getting it worked on and he can ship it directly back to you. You can not sell a handgun, but if you think you can go ahead.

Roseco, I'm not trying to be a PITA but the regs do not say you can't sell a handgun across state lines just that delivery must go through a FFL in the state of the purchaser.

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the
purchaser's own state?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top