Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 6:21:13 AM EDT
My boss and I were having a discussion on CHL, he also has his.  He thinks you have to show your chl to a cop everytime, even if your not carrying.  I disagree.  
Anyone know where in the law this is covered.  
A link would be especially appreciated.

Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
you are correct. you only need to give the chl card when you have a weapon on you. but it is courtesy to do so all the time. the will see you have one if they run your DL # so why not offer? I included a link below from the dps website.  scroll down to section 411.205. i also did a cut and paste

411.205. Displaying License; Penalty

(a) If a license holder IS CARRYING A HANDGUN ON OR ABOUT THE LICENSE HOLDER'S PERSON when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, § 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/go/go0041100.html#go167.411.171
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Only if you are carrying, and only if he asks for ID.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
your paperz pleaze
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
when the cops approach you just yell out "I got a gun"!  you won't need to show ID as he will find it himself during the pat down.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
when the cops approach you just yell out "I got a gun"!  you won't need to show ID as he will find it himself during the pat down.

Of course durring the pat down you will be face down after being shot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course durring the pat down you will be face down after being shot.

naw, they won't shoot you just for saying it.
maybe showing it but not just saying it.

but do expect to taste asphalt, blood and maybe pepper spray.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you are correct. you only need to give the chl card when you have a weapon on you. but it is courtesy to do so all the time. the will see you have one if they run your DL # so why not offer? I included a link below from the dps website.  scroll down to section 411.205. i also did a cut and paste

(a) If a license holder IS CARRYING A HANDGUN ON OR ABOUT THE LICENSE HOLDER'S PERSON when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.

However, if he goes and checks your TDL, it will come back saying you have a CHL...at which point he'll come back and ask you if you're carrying...why not show it to him and say you don't have the weapon....? Saves any questioning bullshit....

of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you are correct. you only need to give the chl card when you have a weapon on you. but it is courtesy to do so all the time. THEY WILL SEE YOU HAVE ONE IF THEY RUN YOUR DL# so why not offer? I included a link below from the dps website.  scroll down to section 411.205. i also did a cut and paste

However, if he goes and checks your TDL, it will come back saying you have a CHL...at which point he'll come back and ask you if you're carrying...why not show it to him and say you don't have the weapon....? Saves any questioning bullshit....

of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong

THATS WHAT I SAID
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep give him the CHL so you wont have to answer that "May I search your vehicle" question."
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I prefer to let them see me reaching for it before I yell I have a gun... :)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
As of a couple of years ago, you only have to present your chl if you're carrying.  the law was changed.  When CHL became law, and up until prior to the law change, you had to show chl when asked for id regardless of whether or not you were carrying.

That's the scoop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
because it's illegal to carry at the lodge!

TXL
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
because it's illegal to carry at the lodge!

TXL

It's only illegal when you get caught.  

"Why yes, as a matter of fact, that is a gun in my pocket!"

TRG
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#16]
mmm... the Lodge... will be there tonight!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top