Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
What time will we be able to get in the gate tomorrow?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
What time will we be able to get in the gate tomorrow?
View Quote

I'll be there about 4. Anytime after will be good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Rolled through the night.  Homie and mbg are en route.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That's getting close.

I just left, but I have a couple of stops
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
Rolled through the night.  Homie and mbg are en route.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/428558/IMG_20220826_085111_815-2503281.jpg
View Quote

See you guys tonight.

Am I understanding correctly that you have food planned to cover Breakfast and supper Saturday and breakfast Sunday?   I just need to worry about lunch on the range both days?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

See you guys tonight.

Am I understanding correctly that you have food planned to cover Breakfast and supper Saturday and breakfast Sunday?   I just need to worry about lunch on the range both days?
View Quote

We should have enough food to cover both breakfasts as well.

Assuming you like bacon and eggs that is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
On our way, ETA 1930 or so.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

We should have enough food to cover both breakfasts as well.

Assuming you like bacon and eggs that is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting closer Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Great and educational weekend. Big thanks to Homeyclaus for instructing, mbg001 for cooking, Notcalifornialegal for bringing it together and everyone else for being a great group of guys to be around. Good to see some familiar faces again as well as meet some new ones.

I have a few pics but will hold off on posting unless/until either participants sign off on it or I get around to doing some editing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Great weekend of training and meeting incredible people.  Thanks for the training Homey, the incredible ribs courtesy of mbg0001 and the companionship from everyone!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Among other things we practiced Broke Back Prone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes being a longtime lurker pays off! @Notcalifornialegal Thanks for organizing this and @homeyclaus thank you for the great instruction.
It was a great opportunity to test gear and skills, and to learn some new stuff! Thanks to all the rest for being welcoming. Checking out NODs
for the first time was awesome!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
How late did you guys go yesterday? Curious how much I missed by bailing early.

@Lomshek, where's all those pics you took? Speaking only for myself, I have no issue with them being posted here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
How late did you guys go yesterday? Curious how much I missed by bailing early.

@Lomshek, where's all those pics you took? Speaking only for myself, I have no issue with them being posted here.
View Quote

We shot until about 5:30.  We did lateral and advancing to target while firing drills.  Plus some additional target transition stuff with rifle and pistol and some long distance Bill Drills on the steel.  I was beat and sore by the end!

My knee feels better today but is going to take a few days to recover.  I’m doing a bike ride this evening to limber it up then will ice it up.  I iced it on the drive home too.  Didn’t leave the bunkhouse until 7:30 and got to my house just before 11:30 PM!

I’ll get some more pics and video up later but want to make sure I cover up faces of the glowies to not ruin future undercover work.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like we missed some cool stuff but probably still the right call leaving early. Wouldn't have been home until well after midnight if we had stayed until the end.

My right knee is not thrilled with me right now but it's manageable. Wasn't sure if the G3 pants were over the gear queer line when I brought them but I'm glad I did. Some of that stuff had to hurt a little without knee pads even with healthy knees.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome weekend. Felt very welcomed being new and it was an honor to be among a great group of guys. Instruction from @homeyclaus (and stories too!) was top notch and I learned a ton.  Well worth the 7 plus hour drive for me.  All of the experience and advice  and comparison on setting up gear and equipment functionally was also a huge highlight not to be understated. No question I came away highly improved and with a huge amount of confidence gained.

Food Saturday night was amazing too!

Looking forward to more APC events in the future.

Pics fine here too. At this point grandma's knitting club is probably on the glows' naughty list so let's just Leroy Jenkins being out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like we missed some cool stuff but probably still the right call leaving early. Wouldn't have been home until well after midnight if we had stayed until the end.

My right knee is not thrilled with me right now but it's manageable. Wasn't sure if the G3 pants were over the gear queer line when I brought them but I'm glad I did. Some of that stuff had to hurt a little without knee pads even with healthy knees.
View Quote

Yeah I was envious of your padded knees.  Would have made things more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dashender:

Pics fine here too. At this point grandma's knitting club is probably on the glows' naughty list so let's just Leroy Jenkins being out there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Just finished unpacking and it looks like I lost a mag. Looks like the one pictured below, if anyone happened to come across it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
It was a great time, and I learned a lot. It was good to meet you guys, and thanks to all who put it on and ran it.

Redbird, I checked the back of my truck under my aux tank. You had some mags in that area. Nothing was found.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Just finished unpacking and it looks like I lost a mag. Looks like the one pictured below, if anyone happened to come across it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/20220829_195334_jpg-2507973.JPG
View Quote

It was found. I think it ended up in the back of homie's truck
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lurk-king:

It was found. I think it ended up in the back of homie's truck
View Quote

Cool. Beats still laying out on the range.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lurk-king] [#25]
Course AAR

It was a great learning experience. We went through a lot of drills working fundamentals. One of my favorite memories was when we were instructed to do a mag change when running dry and upon the next "Gun!" Someone proceeded to mag dump till bolt lock and mag change

We fired a lot of rounds on day 1 so I was very very happy...but then I was sad because I was sure we were going to run through all 1000 by lunch on day 2 and I would be left to throwing rocks and butt stroking soggy targets on a cold range.  However the pace of fire slowed down on day 2 and i had ammo to spare.  

My main takeaways were realizing how much fun I'm missing out by not shooting 3 gun, that there are so many damn positions and ways to shoot needing practice, That i dont train nearly enough or have enough ammo, & that i need to spend more time shooting weakside.

I liked learning the SBS fring position and that brokeback was actually comfortable if you ignore the sharp rocks gringing into your face and knees --or actually wear pants.

Only area of improvement for the course would have been to include more structure around breaks/reloading mag time. The group of guys in attendance were great and fun to talk with and homieclaus has fantastic stories so it was easy for reloading/water breaks to get very social and soak up the clock.  If we would have been given a timed 10, 15, or whatever minute break to make ready and get back to the firing line then we could have shot more.

I'm simple man, making more holes makes me more happy.

Thanks Homieclaus! Thanks "screen_name_here" for the wonderful BBQ! And thanks Notcalifornialegal! It was nice seeing many of you again and meetings others for the first time. I hope we all see each other again at other events in the future.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Icing the knee now!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#27]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/20220829_195334_jpg-2507973.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, about that mag.

Remember when I said any gear left in my truck that we didn't recognize would get donated to the range?

I kinda didn't do that.

It's sitting in my range box. Let's figure out how to get it to you.

Or, we can send it by Whiskers first, and he can paint it yellow and put banana stickers on it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Homie and I are still on the road back.  About two more hours to go.

Great meeting and seeing everyone. Definitely leaned a ton and learned a lot that I have to work on.

Homie is driving this leg and we finally got data signal. He happy everyone took away so much from the course.

More later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: homeyclaus] [#29]
Thanks for the glowing reviews! It was great to meet everyone.

I generally run things like this on a tighter schedule, especially water/reloading/lube-the-bolt-you-dolt breaks, but in spite of talking the talk I really don't like riding students like an E4 in a collegial group like this. The other thing was the heat - I damn near stroked out on Saturday because I didn't listen to the f***ing instructor and drink 1L/hour minimum. Just 3L short over the day, and maybe lacking some electrolytes was enough bring on the headache and "you're about to die" shivers you get even when it's 100F effective temp. I don't think I have ever thought "Man, a lactated ringer right about now would be great." before in my life. Many thanks for the offers of various electrolyte products and all the bottles of water put in front of me.

Other random notes and comments:

• If I am going to run a class around that size with a wide range of skill sets again I'll need an assistant to help look out for safety risks. @Lomshek that would be you. Heck, I'd take your class, and appreciate everything you did to help.

• 300BO with a can on it is quieter than I expected

• BBQ has electrolytes

• I really like BBQ

For those who attended, I'll email y'all credentials where you can upload your video and pictures. We can copy and edit them from there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Great to see everyone again and huge thank you to Homeyclaus for his first rate instruction.

To call the class a smashing success would be an understatement.

After talking with our instructor after the class we broached the subject of additional classes in the future covering other topics, so stay tuned.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:
Thanks for the glowing reviews! It was great to meet everyone.

I generally run things like this on a tighter schedule, especially water/reloading/lube-the-bolt-you-dolt breaks, but in spite of talking the talk I really don't like riding students like an E4 in a collegial group like this. The other thing was the heat - I damn near stroked out on Saturday because I didn't listen to the f***ing instructor and drink 1L/hour minimum. Just 3L short over the day, and maybe lacking some electrolytes was enough bring on the headache and "you're about to die" shivers you get even when it's 100F effective temp. I don't think I have ever thought "Man, a lactated ringer right about now would be great." before in my life. Many thanks for the offers of various electrolyte products and all the bottles of water put in front of me.

Other random notes and comments:

• If I am going to run a class around that size with a wide range of skill sets again I'll need an assistant to help look out for safety risks. @Lomshek that would be you. Heck, I'd take your class, and appreciate everything you did to help.

• 300BO with a can on it is quieter than I expected

• BBQ has electrolytes

• I really like BBQ

For those who attended, I'll email y'all credentials where you can upload your video and pictures. We can copy and edit them from there.

View Quote

Thanks and I’m honored.  It was great taking the course and you did an awesome job.  

Throwing a group of randoms together to play with guns is extremely challenging.  Totally agree for a course like this an assistant instructor or two is best.

A 1:3 or 1:4 instructor to student ratio takes a huge load off the instructor and helps with correcting errors (as you know).  Instructing a bunch of folks is incredibly hard on the instructor and no doubt the reason you were struggling with hydration.

Looking forward to another get together.  Wish I could have stayed longer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Just remembered there was some talk of t-shirts and where to get them while we were there. Below is a link to the current fundraiser thread for those who don't live in GD.

T-shirt thread
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I hit it last night.

No large in fatigue green?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:

No large in fatigue green?
View Quote

Nope, which is why we got color choices this time. No XL in the heather green, either. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Just remembered there was some talk of t-shirts and where to get them while we were there. Below is a link to the current fundraiser thread for those who don't live in GD.

T-shirt thread
View Quote

I also owe some folks a way to buy the APC bandanas/utility cloths/whatever they're called.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered my APC shirt today, stoked!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#37]
How are y'alls rifles cleaning up? I have one of my loaners soaking, and the lower has reddish paint chips all over the fire control group, so if you tried one of my rifles, check your mags or whatever for the source.

Remember to check your firing pin channels!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#38]
How are y'alls rifles cleaning up? I have one of my loaners soaking, and the lower has reddish paint chips all over the fire control group, so if you tried one of my rifles, check your mags or whatever for the source.

View Quote

Daniel Defense fed PMC XTAC M193 clones mostly from Brownells 30 round mags ran like a clock as did the M&P FS 9mm.

Thankfully the rain was minor and let up early so all my stuff was pretty dry.  

I left the cases open in my van to make sure the gear & guns dried on the drive home.  Thankfully I didn’t get pulled over because I’m not sure how that would have gone if a cop walked up on a vehicle with guns and mags all over!

Everything has been soaking in TriFlow (my favorite lube) and should just wipe off when I get to them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

You didn't happen to have that rifle in NC earlier this year, did you?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, no red paint chip connection on my stuff but thanks for the brief use of your rifle with the suitable sling setup for offhand / weak side drills. Used AE or Hornady 193.

My stuff ran like a top other than the need to reconfigure the sling setup.  I did clean and lube after the first day and ran wet with CLP the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]

You didn't happen to have that rifle in NC earlier this year, did you?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/Screenshot_20220831-091341_Firefox_jpg-2509551.JPG
View Quote

Now that you mention it

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Now that you mention it

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/th-463.jpg

View Quote

Heh. Yeah, the inside of my gun was littered with that crap when got back from the patrol class. Soon as I heard "red paint chips" I was pretty sure of the source.

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

My rifle is still wallowing in the muck like a pig till I can get her home. Then the whole stable is getting a thorough soak and cleaning.

Thanks for the tutorial on cleaning up the bolt in the field

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The bolt carrier and BrakeFree in a ziplock for the ride home made clean up a breeze.
Thanks again and hoping to see more pics!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like it was a huge success.  

Good information.
Good lessons.
Good camaraderie.
Good BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By N2CH_556:
Sounds like it was a huge success.  

Good information.
Good lessons.
Good camaraderie.
Good BBQ.
View Quote

Some decent photos and video too. Just not finding the motivation to edit it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I’m still recovering too.  Just started to edit photos and put a video together.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#48]

I’m still recovering too.  Just started to edit photos and put a video together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think the drive back wore me down more than the class.  

Also, someone's water bottle was left in my truck.  

Any takers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I offered to loan that water bottle to my daughter the other day. Now I know why I couldn't  find it!
Now I can stop looking for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I feel ya.  For some reason it took a couple days before my knee start hurting but boy did it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top