Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:15:18 AM EDT
Guys

I am looking into buying one if these rifles, 7.62 with a 20" barrell for shooting up to 600 yards.

I shot one the other day and was quietly impressed, the only problem was it had no right handed cocking handle

My experience with this type of rifle was gained in the army, where I loved it and fought tooth and nail not to have it swapped out for the new bb gun known as an SA80........

Has anyone in depth advice concerning this weapon as a straight pull? a good dealer where I can get one and a smith who may be able to add a right hand cocking handle

Rgds

Stu

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:04:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:04:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pep:
Guys

I am looking into buying one if these rifles, 7.62 with a 20" barrell for shooting up to 600 yards.

I shot one the other day and was quietly impressed, the only problem was it had no right handed cocking handle

My experience with this type of rifle was gained in the army, where I loved it and fought tooth and nail not to have it swapped out for the new bb gun known as an SA80........

Has anyone in depth advice concerning this weapon as a straight pull? a good dealer where I can get one and a smith who may be able to add a right hand cocking handle

Rgds

Stu

I know what you mean Stu,
I loved it while serving, great battle rifle. Not so long ago I used a chaps Imbel Fal he got from Sabre Defence. Cocked it, fired just like the old days, ahhh memories, but then! fuck me, primary extraction was an absolute bitch.
Admittedly he was using RG ammo, same experience with an AR10.
The right ammo would probably be OK

IMHO a right hand cocker would spoil the looks of a beautiful gun, but to each his own. Good luck on finding one, I don't think Sabre have any left.

Roger
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:24:10 AM EDT
Sabre are currently out of production as they have a lot of work going on at their factory.
As for the R/H cocking....I could probably do it.
Give Matt or myself a call

Mark
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:21:32 PM EDT
Scanned'em for you....Shooting Sports reviews for download of 7.62 and
versions.

Enjoy !
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:27:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steven_uk:
versions.

Enjoy !

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:31:44 PM EDT
What a friendly site this is!

I need some bars for my cellar window and an electrified front gate, anyone help?

I have a large bag of cash waiting?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:33:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steven_uk:
versions.

Enjoy !

Once again thanks a superb article on the 7.62

The wasp looks the Biz but looks a little short, I think the Congo could be winging it's way to me (if I can find one)

sTU
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:41:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:

I need some bars for my cellar window and an electrified front gate, anyone help?

I can do that too. I'm a demon with a welder
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:53:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 5:16:16 PM EDT by toemag]
He can do the welding and sort the fence out, I'm only here for the beer.

I also loved the SLR as a primary weapon, much better than those SMG's (small metal gun's) we tankie's normally had to use. I can still remember doing the weapon's handling at JLR, especially the pokey drill.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:21:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 11:22:08 PM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:38:27 PM EDT

We are making a set of electric gates here at work

James
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:44:18 PM EDT
I'd rather have a BHP than that piece of modern art.

The first thing that I'd have been taking with me while de-bussing in a real emergency would have been the commander's GPMG, we also used to have in our vehicle CES a butstock trigger assembly & bi-pod for the CO-AX(ially) mounted GPMG, which also had a ready round's tray for a couple of thousand round's to empty. Thinking about it so many year's later we were a 4 man crew, once we had been forced to abandon our trusty Chieftain we would have made a great double gun group.

Having just proof read the above, I realize that anyone who was never in the armed force's reading this would think that I'm still brain washed. It 's me to think that they may be right.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 12:28:14 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:42:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By UKGuy:

We are making a set of electric gates here at work

James

The wife had tetoed my "electrified" gate with spikes and sharp bits all over it.

Bars are now sorted, but gate talks have ground to a halt as negotiations between both parties have broken down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:37:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:
My Uncle was a gunner on Chieftains, but he said if the Fantasian Army had come for an awayday debussing was not on the agenda. The cunning plan was they would just keep firing and falling back till they broke down then make a heroic last stand, and he reckoned if you had a Chieftain under your bum there would have been a lot of 'heroic last stands'. He was a bit of a realist and if he was still alive at Midday on Day One he would have considered himself an 'old man'.

ANdy

The saying was, Chieftain is a bloody good tank especially if it break's down in a hull down position.

When I went to Recce troop, I was told that our life expectancy was higher than that of those in MBT's. The bad news was it was only by a few minute's.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 1:54:14 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:01:52 AM EDT
I can remember an exercise that we once did, we were the red force's for some Battle group. So true to form we were tasked to provide a recce screen for the red force's position. The blue force's started thier advance to contact. we had pegged thier recce screen moving forward and had gone through the usual sighting report's and fire mission's for Artillery, when out of the blue 2, A10 thunderbolt's flew right over our location. shortly afterward's the umpire's arrived to inform us that we had been destroyed, by the A10's. I didn't feel a thing.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:29:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:40:08 AM EDT
I remember the GW1 incident's, a very sad affair, the pilot's are probably still having problem's, it's hard enough to drop the hamer, but then to find out that it was your allies that you took out, must be soul destroying for them. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it, but I can forgive, forget, hell no, it should serve as an example for the future generation's of pilot's.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:00:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toemag:
I remember the GW1 incident's, a very sad affair, the pilot's are probably still having problem's, it's hard enough to drop the hamer, but then to find out that it was your allies that you took out, must be soul destroying for them. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it, but I can forgive, forget, hell no, it should serve as an example for the future generation's of pilot's.

Toe

Actually, I think the problem is due to them being too eager to drop the hammer so they've got some stories to tell to their buddies back at base....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:30:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 5:32:41 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:02:46 AM EDT
To get back on topic, the Belgian special forces had the best FAL's that I ever saw, folding stock's and full auto. I just wonder if they are going to introduce them onto the German market, so that I can get one. Maybe not the folding stocked full auto version.

I like the G3, but not as much as the SLR/FAL, and the AR10 was alway's a hybrid in my eye's as the system was always meant for the 5,56mm, I'm not saying that they don't work, they do. They are selling AK's over here in 5,56mm, to get around the legal requirement that the case length has to be longer than 40mm's. That's the authoritie's way of stopping the German shooter's buying and useing the AK mag's that are aplenty here in €urope.

It's a good job that I'm saving up, again....

Toe
Top Top