User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Random Thread (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the radiation only affect wild pigs, or are any other wild animals affected to the same extent?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure this dioxin scandal is worse than any radioactive wild pigs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Next random topic: what is your favorite way to prepare Pfifferlinge?
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello European friends. I guess I kinda belong in this hometown forum. (Unless you ask Sarkozy )
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Helau, Kölle Alaaf und gute Stimmung zum Rosenmontag! De Zoch kütt.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By toemag:
Hey people, I'm sort of forming a thought for a thread, on postal shootings, the whys? the what happened? what was the reaction of the public/ press/ government, changes in laws, resulting in collective punishments ie. banning all firearms or the UK model. Was it down to the shooter just being born bad, or did their social environment hurt or harm them in such a way that they decided to hate them, and pay them back with such hate.

I always ask myself why they never put their first bullet between their own eyes, prior to leaving the house?

It maybe a way to collect information that may be of use in the future.

Please feel free to quote this and add a yes or no, it's your call.

Tony

I was thinking of such a thing myself, creating something like a Wiki.
With our recent Dutch shooting were hopefuly be 'lucky' (and I realy dont mean lucky in any sort of way) that the guy was commited into mental institution and that something went wrong with the communication after that. I also know that there will be a next time and that we have to educate our fellow shooters and public not to blame a single group of guns they happen not to enjoy (we have had them here already "no place in shooting sports for EBR's" etc)

There seems to be some scientific evidence of a link with certain anti psycotic drugs, a professor I have been in contact with describes it like this (in very short version):

Very depressed people in the past who wanted to end it all/do something terrible were mostly so completly disfunctional that they were unable to acually get up and do it, with the advent of (modern) medication a small percentage of these people have enough energy/drive to do something while the drugs have no effect on curbing their violent impulses (the medicines do not effect all people in predictible ways). I have to ad that I know nothing about medicine so my description maybe complely off.
Another factor might be the trend to treat mental patients in the community rather that the traditional mental institutions.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey people, I'm sort of forming a thought for a thread, on postal shootings, the whys? the what happened? what was the reaction of the public/ press/ government, changes in laws, resulting in collective punishments ie. banning all firearms or the UK model. Was it down to the shooter just being born bad, or did their social environment hurt or harm them in such a way that they decided to hate them, and pay them back with such hate?

the nature vs. nurture debate will always continue
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
so Mike or Tony (or any other members in Bavaria or Austria)... have you ever explored any Erdställe? some of those seem they would be fascinating to crawl into and explore, as I always enjoyed spelunking as a kid growing up in the state with the most caves...
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
so Mike or Tony (or any other members in Bavaria or Austria)... have you ever explored any Erdställe? some of those seem they would be fascinating to crawl into and explore, as I always enjoyed spelunking as a kid growing up in the state with the most caves...

I went potholing as a young soldier in the UK, it was great fun, sliding around underground in bat shit getting wet through, and seeing the world from another perspective . BUT they were organised expeditions where we had a guide and all the correct equipment, ropes etc, and people knew we were down there and when we were due out. Today off my own bat, doing something on my own would be above the normal risk level that I'm prepared to take.

Tony

any chance some of those underground tunnel networks were related to weapons caches (possibly similar to Heinz Lembke's "massive connected arsenal of 33 underground arms caches", purportedly related to Operation Gladio)? as a boy, I remember my Greek cousin telling me of huge caches of left-over WWII weapons bunkered in the mountains of Greece...
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember the Stadtwerke Hildesheim flushing the drains and all this K98 ammo was being forced out of the grids . that was in the mid 80's.

You may (or may not) be surprised, Tony, at all the things still lying in the Hürtgenwald left over from WWII; one does not have to dig at all to still find field batteries and cables and communication lines, artillery shells, en bloc M1 Garand clips with .30-06 cartridges still intact, ink bottles, boots, gas masks, and many other articles, all in various states of condition from very corroded to surprisingly unscathed. And knowing how the fighting progressed and the lines shifted back and forth ((and the difference between how the U.S. Army and the Wehrmacht soldiers dug their respective foxholes), one can still to this day see where the trenches and foxholes and other emplacements were dug, as they have only now slowly filled in over the decades.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#20]
There are many grave robbers around that dig for the old celtic settlements in this area....

My house is on the old Messerschmitt premises, we have a forest adjacent and once in a while people find WW2 stuff there. There used to be several bunkers also, but I think they all were filled up with soil and concrete after the war.

I think there is still alot of stuff in the mountain lakes, like Walchensee. A friend of mine, diver on the FD here in Munich, found a .30M1 carbine in a lake close to Salzburg. He found way more than that, but left it underwater since he is not an EOD guy. The rifle is mine now...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mike-munich:
I think there is still alot of stuff in the mountain lakes, like Walchensee. A friend of mine, diver on the FD here in Munich, found a .30M1 carbine in a lake close to Salzburg. He found way more than that, but left it underwater since he is not an EOD guy. The rifle is mine now...

nice!
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to explore the old WWII fortifications with my grandfather when I was very young, grew up quite close to the sea and the coast was very wel fortified.

No guns to be found as they have all been cleared out but I did find a belt of spent 7.62 while out exploring with my grandfather, in retrospect of course the find is a bit suspicious as one might ask how and why the Germans assembeled a belt of spent 7.62 NATO casings and my grandfather must have been some Indiana Jones type to know exactly where to dig. Anyway it was really exiting to a young kid.

The bunker complexes near me weare featured in a comedy skit for a Dutch TV show, my old house as about a 15min walk from there Its a satire of a religious show where a guy would talk in a new age an patronising way to kids This skit is funny to us Dutch hope nobody takes offence.
Location on Google Earth : 52°07'29.21" N   4°18'00.48" O

The comedy group also do a good English sport and Australian Sport and The German Office (it make no sense, a bit like the killer joke)
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
Location on Google Earth : 52°07'29.21" N   4°18'00.48" O

so Boomerang Beach on Strandweg in Scheveningen (near The Hague)?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes the the beach part is called Scheveningen and is part of the city of the Hague (Den Haag in Dutch). The bunker complex is just slightly to the north of the Boomerang Beach/Whoosah resteraunt, look for at the beginning of the dunes (some bunkers are moddeled in 3d)
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, feel free to post any Dutch jokes
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I hate that as well so no insult there.

When ever I drive in Germany  there always seems to be a Dutch that pulls out and makes me slam on the brakes.

I used to drive quite a bit in Germany and had some pretty quick cars (Porsche 993 Maserati 300GT), the pats just over the Dutch border seem pretty quiet but the rest of Germany seem to be filled with slow moving Polish van's so you can't really drive fast for long periods.

Now I am a family man is Scandanavian station cars but thats life.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's one: if you fail the drivers test three times they issue a yellow dutch license plate to you.

I do understand where it comes from. Germany is the only country in Europe without a speed limit. Everybody else has 120-130kph limits, so they are not used to the speeds driven here. The pull in the fast lane doing 120kph, I come flying from behind doing 240+ kph. Gotta reduce my speed by 50% in a split second to avoid to crash into them. Sometimes a real PITA....

Family car? My Mustang has the quick-fix mounts for a baby seat....
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]
We have a very strict driving exam, it is so strics because its basicly a scam that earns the institution that makes the exam quite a bit of money if you have to retake the test. I can remeber a little scandel from a couple of years back that they had a policy that X% of student drivers had to fail.

I think you posted of pics of the Mustang some time back and I really like the current model series. I also am old enough to remeber the Mustang that was built during the 1980's (a friend got one when he first got his licence) and to be honest that  was not love at first sight/drive considering its European competitors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorta like Germanys exam. My GF had to try twice too, the examiner let her fail the test for nothing.

I have a $16/10 minute TX. DL, but also took the German test since they would not acknowledge my Stateside license after 90 days...

You are right, I have the 2005 Mustang GT.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mike-munich:
Sorta like Germanys exam. My GF had to try twice too, the examiner let her fail the test for nothing.

I have a $16/10 minute TX. DL, but also took the German test since they would not acknowledge my Stateside license after 90 days...

You are right, I have the 2005 Mustang GT.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7632/1003566medium.jpg

Nice car !

Did you bring it from the us or bought it there ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Shung:
Nice car !

Did you bring it from the us or bought it there ?

Thanks! Ordered it in NY in 2004 and had it shipped to Germany. Arrived in 02/2005, one of the first '05 Mustangs over here.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Hello everybody, New member here, just wanted to say hello and make a first post
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Hi and welcome.

There have been some questions about Belgium gun laws etc. here but nobody really knew the awnsers. Good to have you on board !
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Always happy to anwser some questions, My grandfather and father have been the president of the local shooting range/club here for over 20years so even if i don't know i have sources to go to :)
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Vrolijk Kerstfeest from the Netherlands
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey all ! Not really new here, but I never knew/looked there was a European forum . I'm Dutch , but live in South Carolina. Of course I have the means so the speak haha to be on the website and even a CWP . Things what is unthinkable in most of Europe unfortunately . This thread hasn't had much posts for awhile , so we need some new subjects ?

Nice meeting you all .
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Drum4:
Hey all ! Not really new here, but I never knew/looked there was a European forum . I'm Dutch , but live in South Carolina. Of course I have the means so the speak haha to be on the website and even a CWP . Things what is unthinkable in most of Europe unfortunately . This thread hasn't had much posts for awhile , so we need some new subjects ?

Nice meeting you all .

Hartelijk welkom!

I'll have a cyber Genever please.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Hey guys
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#50]
The Turkish invasion is complete.

Your president is today making his victory tour around the Netherlands

Page / 3
Tacked Random Thread (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top