Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 11:53:42 AM EDT
When we have the world famous Bear attack questions, it is always about a (one) Bear? I have seen up to 4 large males (Browns) together. How does that Bolt Gun sound now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When we have the world famous Bear attack questions, it is always about a (one) Bear? I have seen up to 4 large males (Browns) together. How does that Bolt Gun sound now?

Ill take a M14 or BAR, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
In the 4 years that I've been here I haven't seen one single bear...I also haven't gone looking for them. When I am camping though I'm ALWAY armed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The most I have seen in one area was eight . (dump.) Usualy I only see one or maybe momma and baby .
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen seven of them (adults, don't know the sex) all walking together through a clearing on a mountain slope. It's the first time I've seen something like that so far from a water/food source.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not an expert, but I've come to understand that bears are solitary hunters, like tigers.  When you see bears together, it's because of salmon, usually.  They have no problem foraging for salmon together, but prefer to attack (predation) alone.  Now, if there's a group of bears that you can SEE, they don't see you as prey (they're already eating) or as a threat.  What animal can threaten a group of bears?

There are primarilly two types of attacks:

1) The bear is hungry and wants to eat you.  Mostly young black bears.

2) The bear feels threatened.  Usually startled in thick cover, protecting its cubs, protecting its kills, or just a mad bear.

3) The bear is provoked.  Usually involves tasty tourists who think bears are cute and follow the bears with cameras, get out of their cars to 'pet' them, etc.

Since bears aren't pack animals and the chances of a single bear attack are low, the chances for multiple-bear attacks are astronomical.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top