Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Tacked Ranges (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No highpower shooters gonna mention Van Meter?!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Washington has a great range just outside of town.  25yd, 50yd, and 100yd ranges right next to eachother with berms seperating each range.  Two benches per range.  There is hardly anyone ever there, although this time of year you'll see the locals sighting in deer guns and whatnot.  Get with the local DNR to get a card that says you can use the range.  I personally have never been carded in the past 5 years shooting there, although I do have the card.  I've only been hassled once for shooting "rapidly", I showed the guy that the weapons weren't FA and he was cool with it.  It's also a well taken care of range, benches are always in good condition and new pallets or whatever are always up for targets.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The local PD shoots FA there quite a bit, and the rules don't say anything about legal full-auto or any full-auto for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By booger-hooker:
There's a private range by Colfax just north of I-80 out in the "sticks", I believe the dues are about $30 and you must be a NRA or GOA member.  I could be wrong but I think you also have to know someone that will "sponsor" you because once you're a member you get a key to the gate and can go out there whenever you want I believe.  This is the year I think I'll have to actively pursue joining as they don't have a caliber (.50 BMG friendly) or rapid-fire (machine gun) rules!  

what's the scoop here?  you know anything else about it?

-mikes

Link Posted: 10/22/2005 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
OK - any info on the 600 yard range at Van Meter?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats the one by Anamosa?  I remember shooting there before, otherwise its the one at Princeton for me.  Muscatine has one in the sandpits also, havent been there for about 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By nsb22:
If yall are talking about the one I think you are talking about, they were in the process of cleaning it up and making three seperate parts to it when we went there last fall!  Ranger said there will be shotgun, pistol, and rifle areas.  Sounds like it will be nice when they are done with it!!!!!  Maybe a little safer too!

Paper targets only. no more random junk or dumping there. Strictly enforced now, but it looks a lot better and safer than before.  25 yard 50 yard and 100 yard. plus a trap area farther down the road.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By nf9648:
In Muscatine there is another public one down by the sand pits.

Unfortunatelly, the sand pits were closed down by the county a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Olofson range outside Polk City.  "Charles Butch Olofson"  I am thinking about joining the Ames Ikes though.  Cheaper in the long run and a lot more to offer.  Just a further drive.

When I lived in Storm Lake I was a member of the Buena Vista Rifle and Pistol club.  It was only $30 a year with your own key, a 400 yard range, a 50 foot indoor heated range and a trap/skeet area.  You could shoot at 2:00 a.m. if you wanted too.  I miss it. :(
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By bbauman:
Hawkeye Rifle and Pistol Club
6217 Mitchell St
Sioux City, IA 51111
(712) 252-5165

Located just south of the airport, behind the rental car places.

Member only, 0-50' indoor range, open 24 hrs. Can shoot handguns in handgun calibers and .22 rifle. Been in talks of getting land for a rifle range but they've been talking for years. NRA and CMP affilliated.

That outdoor range is fully open and fucntional.  Very nice!!!  
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that council bluffs one by the airport
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't got a clue what range you guys are talking about in Council Bluffs.  I've lived in and around here the past 20 years and have never seen/been to it.  Help?

As far as the Glenwood one goes...the last link is dead too.  I heard last fall that they were closing their rifle range, but that's second hand talk.  Don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Glenwood range is open.  Southwest Iowa Sportsmen Club was getting ready to install some nice concrete benches at the 50yd range weekend before last.

No plans to close anything down, in fact, I read that they were adding another sporting clays range.

I have been seeing more and more black rifles showing up lately too.  The rifle and pistol ranges are both getting more use that I have seen the past couple years.

James
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Colfax costs $50 per year and you must be an NRA member. It goes out to 200 yards and is mostly set up for sillouete shoots, the state campionships are held there. We're setting up an outdoor bullseye area and there is an indoor winter 50' leage that costs $35. We usally have three or four combat shoots per year as well. PM me if you want contact info or if you want to meet there so you can check it out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Booger-Hooker, yea, it's the same range and dumb-ass is still living left of the berm.(Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Hey everybody! I put my trailer at the end of a gunrange! Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!) The rifle area is on the opposite side so I don't worry about dumb-ass too much.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By bogz:
NLSI (Ankeny, IA)

www.nlsi.net

great, what's the username and password to look at the site?
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Heres a few pics of the range that Scooby223 was talking about. In the first you can see the berms seperating the ranges, and the backstop.  The second is a pic of the benches.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/animalmother86/DSCN0217.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/animalmother86/DSCN0306.jpg
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]
nice eotech...

i suppose it has AA's....

Link Posted: 9/11/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Originally Posted By septic-tank13:
nice eotech...

i suppose it has AA's....

Yeah, its a AA...None of those firearms were mine...the pics with my stuff in them didnt have good view of the range.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 2:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_Hineline] [#25]
Sioux City Club's new website.

hawkeyerifle-pistolclub.com/Home_Page.php
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By BullitBill:
Colfax costs $50 per year and you must be an NRA member. It goes out to 200 yards and is mostly set up for sillouete shoots, the state campionships are held there. We're setting up an outdoor bullseye area and there is an indoor winter 50' leage that costs $35. We usally have three or four combat shoots per year as well. PM me if you want contact info or if you want to meet there so you can check it out.

I live close enough to colfax for it to be worth a drive.  Can you IM me with some contact info?  I tried an IM, must not have done it right.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 4:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wantone] [#27]
Any members of the Des Moines Rifle and Revolver Club????  Their website is WAY outta date and I can't find any current info on scedules, cost or anything....

Craig
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Did David also tell you that it only costs $100.00 bucks a year and the closest public range is a 60 mile round trip. And the rifle range has a roof. one trip $9.75 in gas x hmmm 6 trips = $58.50 a bargain. And you meet the nicest people.
Paul
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By nickforney:
In dickinson county there is alot of federal land great for pheasant and other bird game but deep in the land is a nice little shooters range.  Has the concrete 'holes' to shoot through which is annoying and I don't enjoy using.  I haven't been out this year yet seeing as I just got back into shooting.  I plan on going out sometime this weekend or later in the week.  If I remember right it has an 80 yard 200 yard and 300 yard.  all with mounds for backdrop.  Surrounded by farm or federal land so few people actually take the time to find it.  like others there is alot of broken glass and some rednecks who like to just go out and blow crap up.  I am almost affraid to go alone seeing the remote nature of the range.  Don't even know if the medical or police can always find it.

Spring Run is off Hwy 9 Just East of Spirit Lake, go South.  It has a 25, 50, 100 and 200yd range.  There is also a spot to the North that you can shoot skeet.  Nice range, I grew up in that area and was never afraid of anyone, but then I was armed.  I guess that i am the 'redneck' you are talking about.  I even shot some of my difficult customers.... computers, but i always cleaned up after myself and others.  My son was always adept at shooting from the sides as well.  Gotta admit, the culverts suck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Matsells bridge in Anamosa is a pretty nice range, 200 yrd 6 or 8 benches, pistol range and skeet range. There are some idiots there but weekdays in the AM is the best time to go! Otherwise you have the Dyersville sportsmans club by Dubuque that has a 200 yard range with an enclosed building to shoot out of and a bench for sunny weather. It cost 20 dollars a year but you get fishing, hiking, camping and skeet, very nice park. It is south of HWY 20 on x-47... Otherwise you have Isaac Walton League in Dubuque, $$$$$!
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#32]
is matsells the isaac walton league?  is so fine.

but if it isn't...  the ikes just built a new shooting range.  300yards.  they're building a covered facility currently with 10 or 12 stations.  pistol berms, etc.  a friend of mine owns weber stone and agreed to build a brand new range in exchange for some property near their sand plant operation.  he was showing it to me friday.  super nice place!

i've been assured this is a contingency for the fall shoot if we need it.  i haven't inquired about it as i was under the impression booger had something else lined up.

;)
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Mastsell Bridge is run by Linn County conservation.  I've only been there on weekdays and we've had it to ourselves more times than not.  It's a nice range.  I've heard it's crowded on the weekends.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know if they have the rules online, but you could do a google search.  As I remember though they didn't have anything out of the ordinary.  They only allow paper targets though but I've seen a lot of clays set out at the 100 & 200 yard ranges.  I shoot at the DNR range by Coralville mostly and it's disgusting what people bring and leave there.  Matsell is a nice place and it's nice to have the 200 yarder also.  The benches are all enclosed under a roof and with a concrete floor.  You could shoot in the rain there and not get wet.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:52:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3A1] [#36]

Originally Posted By AtLarge:
Pssst...
about 8 miles north of I-80 on 218. Just past the Res on the West side turn on Coo Falls. Prolly 2 more miles on the North side. All the mud and spent shells you can stand to walk over. I'm not sure of the yardage, cost is $0.00 and bring your own targets, bug repellent, etc.
Ssshhhhh...don't tell anyone...

I'm going to be visting family up there for Thanksgiving. Is this range hard to find? Do you know what road it's on by any chance?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I am new to iowa city could someone tell me how to get to the coralville range coming from iowa city?

Thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Glad I don't have to use a public range. Got a private 150 and 400 yard range where I can shoot whatever, whenever I want.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Originally Posted By dwebb210:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Flyboy:
Another is over by Davenport go N on hwy 67 off of I80 (the last exit in IA) go past Eldridge and Princton and it is a few miles north of Princton on R It is very busy on weekends. It is like suicide . there are some stupid people with guns there.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

It is actually past LeClaire and Princeton.  

I've had a blast every time I've been there.

Dave

That place is scary.  If you go while the DNR representative is there, it's ok - but he's not there all day.  Just be careful and make sure that EVERYONE knows the range is COLD.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHIFT_CLICK] [#40]
To sum up those in the Quad Cities, (Scott County, Iowa/Rock Island County, Illinois):

Milan Rifle Club - Milan, Illinois - Private $125 a year? Must be NRA member.
INDOOR/OUTDOOR PISTOL RANGES, RIFLE RANGE 600M MAX, NO .50 RIFLES, IPSC/USPSA EVENTS.
www.milanrifleclub.org

Shooting Sports (Downtown Moline, Illinois) - $100 a year or $60 for 6 months.
INDOOR ONLY.  PISTOL CALIBER ONLY.  IPSC EVENTS.
www.shootingsportsmoline.com

Oak Hill Gun Club - Buffalo, Iowa - Private $90 a year? Must be NRA member.
SEPARATE PISTOL RANGE, OUTDOOR RANGE 200M MAX, NO .50 RIFLES.
www.iowastateriflepistol.org/oakhills/index.html

Princeton DNR Range - 6 miles North of Princeton on 67 - FREE.

There is also a shotgun only/clay only club in Rapids City or Port Byron, but i've never been there.

If I missed anything, let me know!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5isalive] [#41]
Pictures from Matsell shooting range:

These were taken a while ago.

Link to Linn county parks information

Forgot to add... when I was out there during the week there were some CR police there with remington 700s that were calling their shots on clay targets on the back berm.  I don't think they mind clay targets.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#42]
How long of a range is that?  Looks like 100 yrds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 1:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KClapp] [#43]

Originally Posted By ISUSteve:
How long of a range is that?  Looks like 100 yrds.

The Matsel rifle range is 200 yards.  The pistol is 100.  The distances are marked by in-ground markers at 25 yard increments.

North Linn Fish & Game club also operates a range just outside of Central City.  Cost is $35/year.  If you're in Marion/CR you can get info at Cedar Valley Outfitters in Marion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Originally Posted By dwebb210:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Flyboy:
Another is over by Davenport go N on hwy 67 off of I80 (the last exit in IA) go past Eldridge and Princton and it is a few miles north of Princton on R It is very busy on weekends. It is like suicide . there are some stupid people with guns there.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

It is actually past LeClaire and Princeton.  

I've had a blast every time I've been there.

Dave

DNR is starting to clean the place up, but an officer is only there during peak hours (occasionally Thurs. and Friday-Sunday normally).  It's a decent place and lately I've been there once a week to try new reloads.  

I have had only one bad experience where a couple brought their kids threw some fireworks downrange and started shooting at them.  They let both their dogs run free and at least one ended up downrange (grass was taller than the dogs at this point).  I came within a few inches of smoking one of the dogs in the face with my AK when it ended up behind my target.  Honestly, I wouldn't have felt bad if I did shoot it.  Had a few firm words with the couple and got the hell out of there.  Of course, that was before they cleaned up the place and the "stupid people with guns" are a rare occurrence nowadays.

Approx. 50 and 100 yard rifle/pistol/black powder/archery range.  Shotgun range on the side.  Remember to bring a hat and 100% DEET spray for the spring and summer months.  Make sure everyone responds to a signal for a COLD range before you cross the firing line.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I see that the DNR has put up about an 8' chain link fence at their Hawkeye range north of Coralville.  It went up since the floods and should help keep some of the crap out that people bring.  There's only two narrow walk through gates for the 3 ranges though.  On a side note, the high water put a lot of dirt (mud) onto the ranges.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mu9en] [#46]
anyone know where this range is? "Princeton DNR Range - 6 miles North of Princeton on 67 - FREE." does anyone have the addy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought that was run by the DNR youll see the DNR there before range opens and after when it closes???? Is that just in the Job Discription for DNRS to check thoes ranges out????
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#48]
The DNR has a shooting range set up outside of swisher kind of by Greencastle bridge if anyone knows where that is.  It used to be kind of like a junk yard but they cleaned it all up and have done a lot of work to it. Its pretty nice, they have separated sections for rifles, shotguns and pistols now so you don't lose an eardrum from the guy shooting the 50cal while you're sighting in your 22.  

Down the road from that (no more then a mile) they have a nice field for trap shooting as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Just joined the Indian Creek Ikes outside of Maxwell.

300 yard range with Steel gongs setup. I'm freaking PUMPED and will be doing a lot more shooting. It's only 10 miles from Nevada.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Boone Valley Ikes south of Webster City. Covered ranges out to 200 yards. clubhouse and a great place to shoot. $60 a year range use included
Page / 4
Tacked Ranges (Page 2 of 4)
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top