Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:22:33 PM EDT
I'm in the market for an optic for my 20" Varmint Death Machine.

Ranges out to 700m, variable magnification to 10-15 (poor vision), price around $500 (broke), mounted on flattop, victims include 'yotes, fuzzy bunnies, and gophers. And praire dogs. And crows.

I've been watching the EE and poring through the Optics forum, but perhaps I'm a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have recommendations for such an animal?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:30:01 PM EDT
Mueller Eradicator or Tactical. $200-$250. Although 700yards is a LONG way. You may want better glass.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:28:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:54:42 AM EDT
Maybe you could pick up a used Leupold long range tactical from the EE. If it is in bad shape, just take it over to Leupold and they'll have it fixed in a jiffy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:45:36 PM EDT
I guess the answer is - it depends.

Are you expecting to throw a 55 - 69gr .223 round 700 yards and hit a bunny?

Back to the glass - I just purchased a lightly used Leupold 3.5x10x40 Mark 4 PR for under $500.
They are out there - just be patient and have cash in hand.

You could check out the SuperSniper www.riflescopes.com There's a 20x model for $299. That leaves you $200 for some quality rings / base.

I'm slow to learn that with optics, you get what you pay for. In the words of Gackman, "I understand the need for instant gratification, but maybe you just need to save up for a while".

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of your 'yote slayer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:29:55 PM EDT by geerhed]
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon Monarch line?

ETA: Range should probably be limited to 500m maximum, with the majority occuring under 200m.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:20:54 AM EDT
I just got one of these click here and I love it. I put it on my Win 300 and it holds zero just fine I'm gonna get another one for my 24" AR soon
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:51:19 AM EDT
I put a Weaver V-24 on my DPMS bull and It will do 1" to 1.5" groups all day with good ammo.
I think I got it at Natchez on sale for 300, but normaly they run around 350.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
The only way to go in my opinion is with a New Bushnell 4200 Elite. They are a damn good scope.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:11:25 PM EDT
You should be able to buy a broken scope for a lot less than $500.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:10:57 PM EDT
It's fixed power, not a zoom, but I love my new SuperSniper 10x42...

Of course, it's probably not great for 700m ranges, but I can't hit anything at that range with an AR, so, eh...

If you want, I could let you check out the scope - I haven't mounted it yet - still waiting for my base and rings for my M1A.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:14:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

Of course, it's probably not great for 700m ranges, but I can't hit anything at that range with an AR, so, eh...

If you want, I could let you check out the scope - I haven't mounted it yet - still waiting for my base and rings for my M1A.

That would help alot. I was looking at the SS ones, but I'm pretty set on the variable rather than fixed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT by GackMan]

Originally Posted By geerhed:

Originally Posted By kythri:

That would help alot. I was looking at the SS ones, but I'm pretty set on the variable rather than fixed.

Buy nice or buy twice...

Any particular reason you want variable? The problem is, at the under $500 price you are looking in a quality variable scope is harder to find. moving parts and prisms and lenses and shit... it is easier to build a good fixed scope for a lower price than it is to build a variable one.

The SS scopes are nice for the price. and if you are not trusting your life to the glass, just some coyotes life... then it might be an option to explore.

Here is a 16" AR with a .983 barrel, free floated with a chip mccormic drop in trigger, and a 10x42 Super Sniper Scope that I built:

It works for smoking varmits; i was building a varmint gun on a budget.

Also... budget for rings! Don't spend a bunch of $$ on a gun and glass and then try to mount it with a pair of $20 rings and wonder why it doesn't hold a zero or shoot very good.

Top Top