Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 1:08:30 PM EDT by swampfox3]
http://www.ajc.com/business/glock-gains-10glock-gains-10-year-609301.html

GLOCK gains 10-year contract for $40 million

By David Markiewicz

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
3:41 p.m. Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Smyrna-based Glock Inc. has been awarded a 10-year contract valued at up to $40 million to provide pistols to The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and its agents, the bureau said.

A leading manufacturer of pistols and accessories, Glock, said 65 percent of law enforcement agencies nationwide use its products. The company's international headquarters is in Austria, with its North American subsidiary based in Smyrna. It has manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and Austria.

ETA DOJ Link:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=bd51b091482215c94c1c9c89b799f26f

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:11:32 PM EDT
10 more years of Glock.....

Wonder what kinda cool stuff will be out, years from now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:16:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LaRue556:

Probably piston-driven pistols since everyone seems to think that is a requirement these days. They'll run cleaner!!!!

I am a little surprised at such a lengthy contract. To your point 10 years is really a long time to be locked into a contract.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:18:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:

Probably piston-driven pistols since everyone seems to think that is a requirement these days. They'll run cleaner!!!!

I am a little surprised at such a lengthy contract. To your point 10 years is really a long time to be locked into a contract.

Exactly...I mean. Geeze.

I'm not for or against Glock in the point, I just figured that a contract for something that is rapidly evolving between different manufacturers would be a little shorter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:44:54 PM EDT
What exactly is rapidly evolving about hand guns? You point and shoot. Or were you referring to minor cosmetic changes and such?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:07:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
What exactly is rapidly evolving about hand guns? You point and shoot. Or were you referring to minor cosmetic changes and such?

Was wondering that myself. Aside from adjustable backstraps and/or different grip angles I don't see a lot of difference in striker fired handguns.

The glock design is fundamentally the same as it was in 1982.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:06:23 PM EDT

So when can we expect a piston driven bolt gun from Jered
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:39:09 PM EDT
Didn't S&W also get a piece of this contract? In fact, the only manufacturer which didn't was Sig (highly unsubstantiated rumors attribute this to Sig pushing the P250).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:08:03 PM EDT
Not unsubstantiated.......it's a fact.............SIG was pushing the P250 for the ATF contract and it failed miserably. SIG then complained to the GAO, who in turn said the complaint had no merit and the testing protocol was valid.

The P250 also failed in my Fed agency: failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract, magazine followers binding in the mags, you name it, it's going wrong. It's failed every major agency testing that I have heard it sent to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:24:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PaintItBlack:

Was wondering that myself. Aside from adjustable backstraps and/or different grip angles I don't see a lot of difference in striker fired handguns.

anti-stress triggers ala Walther...striker fired pistol that you can decock, then re-cock into SAO mode with just an 1/8 movement of the slide. quite cool actually!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:34:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By s30series:

anti-stress triggers ala Walther...striker fired pistol that you can decock, then re-cock into SAO mode with just an 1/8 movement of the slide. quite cool actually!

Sounds rather unnecessary. And people wonder where DA/SA came from. Some shit is simply a solution looking for a problem.

Not trying to be a jerk, but "anti-stress" trigger? Seriously? You can't tell me that's not funny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:43:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadcapMagician:

Sounds rather unnecessary. And people wonder where DA/SA came from. Some shit is simply a solution looking for a problem.

Not trying to be a jerk, but "anti-stress" trigger? Seriously? You can't tell me that's not funny.

I stopped reading at the mention of "Walther". Walther? Pah-leeze.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:44:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By poison123:
So when can we expect a piston driven bolt gun from Jered

Let me check the schedule...

Looks like never.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:52:13 PM EDT by LaRue556]

Perhaps I over exaggerated.

I meant changes in general.

Guns, computers, etc. They may not change in fundamental design but there are always improvements, augmentations, and new models coming out.

And I'm talking in terms of looking at competitive companies. I just wouldn't want to be locked into anything that long in the event something better comes out....speaking generally now, not just firearm contracts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 6:18:45 PM EDT by ikickhippies]
Originally Posted By RASPUTIN8:
Didn't S&W also get a piece of this contract?

They Sure Did.

FBO LINK

THIS RIGHT HERE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:26:31 PM EDT
I used to manage government contracts. In my experience they are normally one year contracts with options up to five years total. The rules we were under required a rebid at the sixth year no what. I don't know how they can let a ten year contract. I bet that it's really options up to ten years though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:35:13 PM EDT
cmshoot, thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to lay it out there as fact when I didn't have anything to back it up but hearsay.

Originally Posted By cmshoot:
Not unsubstantiated.......it's a fact.............SIG was pushing the P250 for the ATF contract and it failed miserably. SIG then complained to the GAO, who in turn said the complaint had no merit and the testing protocol was valid.

The P250 also failed in my Fed agency: failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract, magazine followers binding in the mags, you name it, it's going wrong. It's failed every major agency testing that I have heard it sent to.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:48:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dwinecof:
I used to manage government contracts. In my experience they are normally one year contracts with options up to five years total. The rules we were under required a rebid at the sixth year no what. I don't know how they can let a ten year contract. I bet that it's really options up to ten years though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

So assuming this one is just options out to 10....What do you think the base is for this one?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 7:42:55 PM EDT by s30series]
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:
Didn't S&W also get a piece of this contract?

They Sure Did.

FBO LINK

THIS RIGHT HERE.

ohh come on. A true full German Walther is just as good as Books old west german P220....they're awesome. The P99s are fully made in Germany, just imported by S&W. The "anti-stress" trigger is pretty neat. Go to a range and try it. Its a striker fired gun with no saftey, but you are able to decock it and carry in double action mode for the first shot. If you want to, you can leave it in SA mode just like a glock too. move the slide back 1/8 inch (press check) and boom. Its in anti-stress mode...its basically SAO with a doulbe action distance pull. Then, pull the triger a little bit, and you'll feel it click half way and the trigger will stay there. from there on out, its a nice, smooth pull with an awesome break for a handgun super accurate.

you'll see me rockin' it at Joes match this saturday. i dare someone to try mine out either before or after the match. you will be very surprised out how good the trigger is.

ETA: besides, it's James Bond's gun for a few movies, so that puts a cool factor on it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:39 PM EDT

Guns, computers, etc. They may not change in fundamental design but there are always improvements, augmentations, and new models coming out.

And I'm talking in terms of looking at competitive companies. I just wouldn't want to be locked into anything that long in the event something better comes out....speaking generally now, not just firearm contracts.

With a big agency like the ATF I seriously doubt they want 5 or 6 different models of weapon in the hands of agents. Makes the supply situation a PITA when you start needing different mags, different ammo, different accessories and such.

Just like the US armed forces Everything runs off JP8? instead of gas, diesel, kerosene, jp4, jp8, and 110LL

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 7:59:26 PM EDT by ikickhippies]
but you are able to decock it and carry in double action mode for the first shot.

I stopped right there. No sale.

Like I said earlier, if you like it then fine. You'll never talk me into it and I'll never talk you out of it. But I honestly think shit like that would get Agents/Officers/LEOs killed. On second thought it's not something any of our shooters have to worry about since This Illustrious List of end users are the only one who have to worry about it.

ETA: Most of Bond's stuff is the Ghey.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:57:25 PM EDT
but you are able to decock it and carry in double action mode for the first shot.

I stopped right there. No sale.

Like I said earlier, if you like it then fine. You'll never talk me into it and I'll never talk you out of it. But I honestly think shit like that would get Agents/Officers/LEOs killed. On second thought it's not something any of our shooters have to worry about since This Illustrious List of end users are the only one who have to worry about it.

ETA: Most of Bond's stuff is the Ghey.

bite your tongue. Omega seamasters are awesome.

and hey, at least the Canadians use it! and the Germans!

its the best of both worlds! A single action striker fired weapon that can be switched into double action for those who dont feel safe at clubs with a single action stuffed down their crotch....ala the dude in New York who shot himself!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:51:15 PM EDT

ohh come on. A true full German Walther is just as good as Books old west german P220....they're awesome. The P99s are fully made in Germany, just imported by S&W. The "anti-stress" trigger is pretty neat. Go to a range and try it. Its a striker fired gun with no saftey, but you are able to decock it and carry in double action mode for the first shot. If you want to, you can leave it in SA mode just like a glock too. move the slide back 1/8 inch (press check) and boom. Its in anti-stress mode...its basically SAO with a doulbe action distance pull. Then, pull the triger a little bit, and you'll feel it click half way and the trigger will stay there. from there on out, its a nice, smooth pull with an awesome break for a handgun super accurate.

you'll see me rockin' it at Joes match this saturday. i dare someone to try mine out either before or after the match. you will be very surprised out how good the trigger is.

ETA: besides, it's James Bond's gun for a few movies, so that puts a cool factor on it
A friend of mine had one I shot it, he shot it I hated it, he hated it and he was out a few hundred bucks. Seems like this pistol may have to many options and variables that can go wrong. My G17 simple point and click interface. Pull the slide back, squeeze the trigger... boom dead paper target. I may be thinking to much into it but it is 2:45am.

At one time I had a XD in 45 service length (still have the 45 gap XD I bought years ago) loved it to death until something sticky got spilled and got in between the striker and the firearm was useless. Got it cleaned by a local smith then sold it. Long story short now I have a Glock plus a couple.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:03:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Slipey76:

A friend of mine had one I shot it, he shot it I hated it, he hated it and he was out a few hundred bucks. Seems like this pistol may have to many options and variables that can go wrong. My G17 simple point and click interface. Pull the slide back, squeeze the trigger... boom dead paper target. I may be thinking to much into it but it is 2:45am.

At one time I had a XD in 45 service length (still have the 45 gap XD I bought years ago) loved it to death until something sticky got spilled and got in between the striker and the firearm was useless. Got it cleaned by a local smith then sold it. Long story short now I have a Glock plus a couple.

its got a trigger, a trigger bar, and the fire control group, which is two springs and three metal parts. Thats it. Then the slide has the striker. It's acutually quite simple and not many parts at all...probbaly less than a sig. Check out the exploded diagram of it!

which model did he have? the P99 Quick-Action is HORRIBLE. the trigger is basically DAO. Needs a little bit of trigger work to make it really good. The AS is where its at.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:24:41 AM EDT

With a big agency like the ATF I seriously doubt they want 5 or 6 different models of weapon in the hands of agents. Makes the supply situation a PITA when you start needing different mags, different ammo, different accessories and such.

Just like the US armed forces Everything runs off JP8? instead of gas, diesel, kerosene, jp4, jp8, and 110LL

That's not what I'm saying though, but at the same time I don't really understand these specific contracts.

But if I enter into in 10 year contract with a product that does say..... 75% of what I want, better than all other candidates, and then two years later another company makes a product with 90% of what I want. But it's too bad, I'm still hitched up for another 8 years.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:53:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmshoot:

Look at the bright side...I'm sure that will help make the P250 very affordable
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:56:14 AM EDT

its got a trigger, a trigger bar, and the fire control group, which is two springs and three metal parts. Thats it. Then the slide has the striker. It's acutually quite simple and not many parts at all...probbaly less than a sig. Check out the exploded diagram of it!

which model did he have? the P99 Quick-Action is HORRIBLE. the trigger is basically DAO. Needs a little bit of trigger work to make it really good. The AS is where its at.

It's time for the no BS assessment.

The 250 and P99 are both dogs. Both have stupid trigger mechanisms, aren't widely used, have issues running, lack good aftermarket (aka sight and holster selections) and nobody uses them. Sure some German state police unit uses the P99 and the Air Marshals want to throw their 250s out of the plane. There is no proven track record for either like other, better service pistols. Gizmos such as interchangeable slide and frames that cost the same as a new gun and some crazy "anti stress" trigger that makes me stressed thinkng about it turns these pistols into full retard pistols, and everyone knows you don't go full retard.

To paraphrase Sam Gerard, "Get rid of that sissy [insert retarded gun here] pistol and get yourself a Glock!"

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:44:25 AM EDT

It's time for the no BS assessment.

The 250 and P99 are both dogs. Both have stupid trigger mechanisms, aren't widely used, have issues running, lack good aftermarket (aka sight and holster selections) and nobody uses them. Sure some German state police unit uses the P99 and the Air Marshals want to throw their 250s out of the plane. There is no proven track record for either like other, better service pistols. Gizmos such as interchangeable slide and frames that cost the same as a new gun and some crazy "anti stress" trigger that makes me stressed thinkng about it turns these pistols into full retard pistols, and everyone knows you don't go full retard.

To paraphrase Sam Gerard, "Get rid of that sissy [insert retarded gun here] pistol and get yourself a Glock!"

1, same as a glock, except it has a decocker
2. no reports of P99 having issues at all...check out waltherforums or any other forum. the p99s run like clockwork
3.i just ordered trijicons for mine...$85 and they are adjustable combat sights. Mepro makes sights too..standard rail up front, my insight procyon fits fine....and ive got a blackhawk, Comp-tach, high noon, and vega holster for it.

Sure, its not mentioned in movies all the time, it doesnt have its own fan-club, no one in america uses it, but that doesn't mean its a shit gun....but the P99 is like the German version of the Glock.

I never experienced any problems with my p250c when i had it, but thats another issue. Sure, i didnt like the trigger when i first bought it, but over time i got to be very quick and accurate with it.
The p99 is awesome. come to Joes match on saturday and you can try mine out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:06:34 AM EDT
How in the shit did the thread drift all the way to the P99?

Ever wonder where they got the 99 from? It takes 99 attempts to sell one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:10:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 10:10:47 AM EDT by s30series]

I love you. You coming to the match on saturday?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:12:59 AM EDT

I like that.

Back to the praise and worship for that is the awesomeness of the Glock pistol.

Just in case no one was aware, this contract is for 4th generation Glock 22s and 3rd generation Glock 27s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:42:55 AM EDT

I own one....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:59 AM EDT
Didn't S&W also get a piece of this contract? In fact, the only manufacturer which didn't was Sig (highly unsubstantiated rumors attribute this to Sig pushing the P250).

i believe that smith got a contract for rifles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By perry73779:

I own one....http://www.georgiasportbike.com/images/smilies/run.gif

*hijack*

which model?
how do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:15:42 PM EDT
BATFE gives contract to Glock. Explosives, hehe...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:27 PM EDT

*hijack*

which model?
how do you like it?

P99 QA. I like it. I prefer a glock trigger though. My gf likes it cause it fits her hands really well. She will probably be using a G19 in the future.
I bought it cause the P99 was the first gun I ever shot. My brother is the owner of that gun, so when he is ready to sell, I willl be getting it from him. He bought one of the last few not stamped S&W.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:07:17 PM EDT

I think the quote was "... nickel-plated sissy pistol".

I could be wrong. I was once...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 9:33:17 PM EDT by s30series]

*hijack*

which model?
how do you like it?

P99 QA. I like it. I prefer a glock trigger though. My gf likes it cause it fits her hands really well. She will probably be using a G19 in the future.
I bought it cause the P99 was the first gun I ever shot. My brother is the owner of that gun, so when he is ready to sell, I willl be getting it from him. He bought one of the last few not stamped S&W.

If you want, give me the weapon for a day and i'll give it back to you with an awesome trigger pull...i worked on my uncles QA and made it a nice and smooth consistent pull. needs some polishing on the trigger pivot pin, and the trigger bar...no touching the fire control group. Smooths out the trigger a great deal, and makes the weapon accurate! Walther messed up on the QA trigger system. When it's stock, it is extremely in-consistent and very heavy. A little polishing in the right place goes a long way!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:46:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ra2bach:

I think the quote was "... nickel-plated sissy pistol".

I could be wrong. I was once...

You are correct. It's one of my favorite movie lines. However, to keep it relative to the thread neither are nickel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:55:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By engineer2001:

The look on this guy's face is priceless
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Originally Posted By engineer2001:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Glock-Grenade-Launcher-AR-15-M-16.jpg

The look on this guy's face is priceless

Thats because he knows he's got a dead even chance of the Glock Grenade going off .40" from the muzzle.
Top Top