Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
Okay,

I've managed to buy and trade a few items in the EE and I'm thinking about putting something up for trade. I have a low post count. There's been a lot of f%$ktards screwing up the EE lately, most of them being low post-count noobs (like myself) with piss-poor attitudes (not like myself).

So I'm a little gun shy (pun intended).

First of all, I have 0 feedback. I guess that's because I was a buyer in most of the transactions and I traded with another low post count noob in another. Whatever. I'm an honest person and I'm a reasonable guy who understands how things work. I like to think I'm fair and level-headed (don't we all?) so I'm seriously considering offering something up for trade but want some advice before I do.

What I'm thinking about offering is a Remington 870 Express Magnum shotgun that I bought about 5 years ago. I put, at most, 20 rounds through it. It's much to big for me (I'm short, ask moleman) and it spends most of it's time sitting in a case.

What can I reasonably expect to get for something like that? I want to build my own AR one day so I was thinking about asking for components to get started. My wife says to me "see if you can get me a Sig 226 or 229 for it!" which I think is a bit much but, then again, I thought the last trade I made was heavily slanted in my favor. I offered what I had not expecting the guy to accept (which is why I offered cash first) but he wanted it... so who's to say?

What am I getting myself into?

Should I be open to more than FTF in GA?

Can FTF be done with people from, say, SC? I live 5 minutes from there...

Should I just forget it altogether until I have a post count in the triple digits?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
look for FTF in GA.  Less hassle and low risk for your buyers as they will see the merchandise before laying down the cash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the FTF. I got a pistol off a GA guy a few years back. He had it in the EE, I didn't even notice his post count. We IM'ed back and forth a few times and I met him at his job(strip mall) for the transaction. It was for cash though, not trade.

Also, from what I understand State to State is a no-no.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer FTF and that's my intent. Didn't know if I was being unreasonable though and was looking for opinions. 2-0 for FTF so far makes me think I'm right Thanks for the input!

Like I mentioned, I'm interested in building my own AR-15. I have one, which I got FTF from moleman, and I love it. I started out wanting to build one in the first place but the one he had up in the EE was everything I wanted and then some. So what types of things should I ask for in trade? What would be reasonable? Would I be pushing it to ask for a completed lower, for instance? I tend to think that I would be pushing it to ask for a completed upper, but who knows?

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. This will be my first time being on this end of a transaction so I'm a bit gun-shy (pun intended) about making a mistake and coming out worse for the wear.

Is anyone willing to 'take me under their wing', so to speak, for this? For instance, if I get an offer for trade but I'm not sure if what's being offered is worth it, would you mind me running the offer past you via IM or email and giving me an opinion? That's probably asking a lot. Thing is, I want to be fair, I don't want to be unreasonable. I want things to go as smoothly as possible. And I don't know enough about what I'm doing to say "that lower is a great deal for trade" or "that seems like a reasonable offer for this type of transaction". I would like to stress that I want the potential recipient of the shotgun to be happy with the trade just as much as I want to be happy with whatever I trade it for.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
GO SLOW....KNOW WHAT"S IT'S WORTH...HAVE A DROP DEAD PRICE IN MIND BOTH  SELLING AND BUYING......AND STICK TO IT!!! READ AN AD THREE TIMES BEFORE COMIT TING TO A QUOTE....AFTER FOLLOWING ALL THIS FREE ADVICE, FEEL GOOD IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT WE ALL GET BURNED SOONER OR LATER

what happened to spellcheck??????????
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't worry too much about the low post count.  Just say you prefer FTF, but you could ship it.  That would open up a lot more potential buyers.  You can always use Moleman as a reference if someone asks.

I have seen those Remy's go between $229-259 new in the store.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that I poined up the dough, I find myself looking to see if someone is a team member if they have a low post count. At least they paid a few buck to the site for the priviledge of posting, selling and fating around here.

Details of the firearm and pics are a requisite.

Don't get bummed when it doesn't sell in a few days. I'bve put stuff up for sale that was gone in 30 minutes, and some stuff was up for a couple weeks.

Also, don't just post here.

Sutrmgewehr gets a lot of activity too. If you want to move it, you have to spread the word.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top