Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/25/2003 1:32:25 PM EDT
Hello everyone.
I am getting ready to purchase one of these from MSTN. Also an ACOG TA11F to go along with it.
Just wanted to know if anyone had any good info on this upper and also looking for ideas on stocks etc. I am looking into the MAGPUL.
This is what the upper comes with
M4 FLAT TOP UPPER W/ M4 FEED RAMPS.

CRANE SPR BARREL BUILT FROM A STAINLESS DOUGLAS PREMIUM BLANK, K-G COATED GRAY

CRANE EXTRACTOR MOD

PRI GAS BUSTER CHARGING HANDLE

KAC LONG FREE FLOATING RAS FOREND

KAC 600-METER REAR SIGHT

KAC FOREND RAIL FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT

ARMS #22 HIGH RINGS

OPS INC 2-PORT MILITARY BRAKE WITH THREAD PROTECTOR AND BARREL COLLAR

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:29:43 PM EDT
<monty python voice> You Lucky Bastard!</monty python voice>

wes knows his stuff and is building you a first rate upper. For precision work, I don't feel the ACOG is enough glass, however. Look at all of Wes and Paul's personal rifles: Leupold M1's or M3's (can't remember which but I'm sure he'll tell you). Expect to be able to drive thumb tacks with the right glass and ammo.

What trigger were you planning on using? Ifn you say the stock mil trigger I'm gonna cry. Most folks feel Jewell triggers aren't 'battle ready' due their use of set screws, but I love this setup in my AR. KAC makes a very pricey two stage trigger, and I think Rock River is well thought of. As to stocks, a precision rifle needs something that fits you, not the military's one-size fits all. Try to borrow as many different lower configs as you can before you buy something, the hype on stocks seems way out of control.

I'm sooooo jealous.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:13:48 AM EDT
I was thinking about using a colt lower with a RRA two stage trigger. If I decide on a non-collapsible stock I was thinking about using a new RRA lower. You may be right about the sight but I can always use an ACOG and Leupold is coming out with a new scope later this summer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:18:33 AM EDT
Check with Wes on triggers, or search the Upper forum. new-arguy just went through this process, I believe there's a better option.

Take care what lower you use, I believe the OPS brake is not postban 'compatible'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:08:42 AM EDT
I found one built using an Oly preban lower with a RRA two stage and he used a VLTOR stock. I would like to try the VLTOR and the Magpull but I don't know anyone who has either one. I read a lot of good things about both but i think I am still leaning toward the Magpull. Like everything else if I get something and it doesn't work well with this setup one of my oher guns will end up with it. The scope coming out later this summer is the Leupold mark 4 3-9x36mm MR. This is a civilian version of the TS3OAZ which is used on the SPR.
Top Top