Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:19:44 PM EDT
I'm coming down for the few days to look at a company we bought and I'm looking for good places to eat or hang out in the evenings. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Waterfront.  I don't like seafood but love the atmosphere.  I am told the restaraunts aren't what they used to be, but check out capt bills, sanitary, net house.  There is most of what you want to see right around capt bills.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Morehead City itself has a small "downtown" area near the piers with some local pub type places, and a few chain restaurants.  Best bet is to go into one that has a sign mentioning "shrimp" or "seafood" and casually mention that you heard NC shrimp were "ok".  They will go to great lengths to prove this to you.  

Only place is can recommend by name is actually on Emerald Isle, about 20 minutes down the coast:

Kathryn's Bistro and Martini Bar
8002 Emerald Drive, Emerald Isle, NC  28594  
Phone:  252-354-6200
www.kathrynsbistro.com/
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sanitary

Sanitary Fish Market & Restaurant
501 Evans Street

That's one of the ones I was thinking of.  It was recommended to me when I was headed there for a port visit, but we cancelled so I never made it.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Morehead City itself has a small "downtown" area near the piers with some local pub type places, and a few chain restaurants.  Best bet is to go into one that has a sign mentioning "shrimp" or "seafood" and casually mention that you heard NC shrimp were "ok".  They will go to great lengths to prove this to you.  

Only place is can recommend by name is actually on Emerald Isle, about 20 minutes down the coast:

Kathryn's Bistro and Martini Bar
8002 Emerald Drive, Emerald Isle, NC  28594  
Phone:  252-354-6200
www.kathrynsbistro.com/

Hey, Kathryn's is owned by some friends of mine, along with Punky's on Emerald Isle.   If you visit and Ken is in, give him a Rick Flair whooohoooo for me.  If you mention that I'm stationed in Okinawa, he'll know who sent it.

Also, I recommend RJ's on Emerald Isle, and definatley go to the waterfront in Beaufort and eat at Clawson's.   You must have the Shrimp and Grits!

We're moving back in March, and you're making me HUNGRY!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess we covered food and all, but if you need to get your gear fix, HSGI and TAG are both in Jacksonville.  Also an Extreme Outfitters, but it's mostly the same as the one in Va Beach.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Channel Marker in Atlantic Beach just over the bridge on the left I have heard was good with a nice atmosphere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump for a trip report?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
OMFG!!
Does anyone even live here??????

Look! Go to the Island Grill, best f-in food around. Its in Atlantic Beach, right in front of SPORTSAMNS Peir. High dollar but good!
Mon & tues. is buy 1 get one 1/2 off! Cute girlies too ( I know a few of them).

BT's is a fun place to drink a few just West of the main light  Atlantic beach ( the beach faces South).
DO NOT CCW there. DO NOT piss off the locals! ( we like to pound on Raleighites :D).
More good food: Beaufort Grocery in Beaufort ( pronounced BO-Fort) NOT beeewww Fort)
Cool Gun shop : Ed's East on Hwy 70 , about 5-7 miles west of WallyWorld.

AHHHHH, GREAT BBQ: Smithfields in the middle of the city (not downtown)
Great Burgers: El's Drive in ( Look for the Hospitol)
Fun redneck joint: the country place acroos from the HP bldg, Midnight Cowboy or something like that.
What else? I have lived here on and off for the last 20 years, I may know more too :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Waterfront.  I don't like seafood but love the atmosphere.  I am told the restaraunts aren't what they used to be, but check out capt bills, sanitary, net house.  There is most of what you want to see right around capt bills.

these places Suck, and I know the owners daughter of the Sanitary. Well Just make sure you ORDER off the menu and DONT get the special. DO not flirt with their Grand Daughter

The Dock house is Good, that is if Donny is still cooking there, but a fun place to have a drink.

Bills ---->
Net House ----->
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Morehead City AAR:

Sorry I didn’t get this posted sooner

My trip was quick but fun. We had to stay in the Holiday Inn Express because the Hampton Inn was being renovated. I really enjoyed the area but we didn’t get to see much because someone had the idea that we should actually work while we were there.

We ended up eating at some Texas Steakhouse the first night and some Japanese Steak House the next night. I didn’t pick the places so don’t ask me. It looks like I’ll have to make a few more trips down there in the coming months so hopefully I’ll be able to visit some of the local establishments. I did see a few gun shops on 70 so I’d like to visit those as well!

All in all I really liked what I saw of the area, nice place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top