8844 Hillcrest Road
Exit 87th Street off I-435
Show Dates:
March 11-12
Show Hours:
Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday: 9am - 3:30pm

Dollar off coupon

Maybe Duke can show off some of his 1911 grindin' skills before I let him at my Series 70
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Maybe Duke can show off some of his 1911 grindin' skills before I let him at my Series 70hr

Duke just installed a "high-ride" beavertail grip safety and did a black Norrell finish on my ugly parkerzied Colt 1991A1 Compact Model.  It now looks and feels GREAT! I plan on shooting it later on today. Send your Colt somewhere else and pay more for less quality. I have a AMT Hardballer that I plan on having Duke cut and install a "high-ride" beavertail grip safety. When I get that one back I have a WWII Ithaca 1911 that I plan on having Duke replace the springs, clean, and generally go through so I can shoot it. Again, go somewhere else as he is busy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i got there at 9am saturday.  only saw about 2500 rnds of 7.62x39, and it was priced at $5.00/20.  one guy lowered his to $3.50/20 and sold the 500 rnds he had.  in general, all of the prices were the highest i have ever seen at a show there.  no good deals whatsoever, and i didn't spend a penny.  i considered picking up an SKS since they were going for $130-150 at a few tables, BUT the guns they marked as VERY GOOD condition were more like GOOD to FAIR at best.

i wound up going to Denny's and spending $400 though.  :)

btw, have any of you gotten 1911 parts installed by the 1911 guy there?  i was dumb enough to give him a new SA GI to install night sights on a few months ago.  left it with him in the morning, and came back to pick it up at the end of the day.  the front sight was tilted about 30 degrees off center and turned 20 degrees to the left.  the rear sight wasn't even close to center, and he left a deep gash in the slide.  the whole stainless slide was COVERED with scratches too.  of course he didn't bother to dial it in at all, and he told me i would have to do that.  i didn't want to give the old man a heart attack, so i didn't bother chewing his ass out.  i took my gun to Mike @ gunsmithingonly and got it fixed.  took $200 and 2 months to get it fixed.  should have just bought a new damn slide.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll find that same situation with the price of 7,62 Russian ammo everywhere right now.  It is simply unavailable at the moment.  I talked to the guy at the larger ammo display and he thinks the supply should be loosening up in about a month.  The Russians are cranking it out like crazy but there's like all these wars happening all over the globe these days, so..........

On a good note, he did have plenty of real 7,62 ammo.  7,62x51, that is!  South African and plenty of it.  Too bad I didn't have the spare dough or I'd have bought many cases of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, i'm aware of the 762x39 situation.

side note:  the bullet hole had 10k rnds last week, but they wanted $200/1000 ... and it was Wolf HP.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I got another Mauser.
No tax.
No papers.

good enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice Picture Duke!  I'll have to show you the picture of my daughter shooting the suppressed AR-15SD in 22LR.  She had a great time but I think she spent more time chasing the chicken around.  I think I have her talked into eating the egg she got that day.  For awhile there she was planning on raising a chicken????

I've got a MG shoot in Camden, TN this weekend, but we need to get together again soon.  I need to talk to you about sending in some paperwork to CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Eric,

Do you remember what he wanted for case(s) of SA 308?   If it was a good price,  you don't happen to know how to contact him, do you?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
It was in the neighborhood of $165/case for the SA .308 but unfortunately I have no contact info for him.  Sorry
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
That's the guy!  The past couple of shows at 3Trails Expo he has been catty-cornered to the CMMG table on the 2nd row of tables.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's the guy!  The past couple of shows at 3Trails Expo he has been catty-cornered to the CMMG table on the 2nd row of tables.

I got  some cases of 1940 Greek 8mm from that guy. 48 bucks for 700 rounds out the door wasn't bad per case.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dude, I don't know how to say this, but if a guy has the time to hang around at a crappy gunshow at 3 Trails Expo Center on the weekends, he probably isn't much of a legit gunsmith.  If he WAS, he would probably be busting his ass working on customer guns all weekend.  Was your night sight setup a dovetail or a staked front sight?

Sorry to hear you had to spend $200 on a sight install.  If you want a refinish on the slide (or the whole thing) I'll hook you up for cheap.

yeah, i figured he wasn't the best gunsmith, but i also (wrongly) figured that he would be able to do something simple like installing sights.  i assumed that he would have sight installation and adjustment tools if he was so confident about being able to do it.  unfortunately, i think he used a screwdriver and a mallet to "tap" the rear sight in and pound the front stake in.  he must have used the same screwdriver to scratch up the slide afterwards.

thanks for the refinish offer.  Mike Allee already did it this time, but i'll try to look you up next time.  :)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey Brother Kane, if that safety continues to be a little sticky I can clearance it more for you but I think it just needs to wear in a bit.

Sticky Safety???? Duke, what the hell are you talking about? My Colt  looks and runs awesome!!! I always knew I liked beavertail. So how is my AMT Hardballer? (I said Hardballer...hee..hee)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top