Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Shyyyster:
in case any of you have not seen this video yet. its about a year old but shows the stacks and stacks of forms waiting to be done.

i dont even want to call and ask what my wait time is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTZO3pVsAA

my last one took 7 months
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By battlehawk1025:
in case any of you have not seen this video yet. its about a year old but shows the stacks and stacks of forms waiting to be done.

i dont even want to call and ask what my wait time is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTZO3pVsAA

my last one took 7 months

great. mines going to come in as soon as the snow starts to fall
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read this thread a bunch of times and I still have no clue what to do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
I have read this thread a bunch of times and I still have no clue what to do.

Pm and ill call u and walk you through it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]
So question, Do I have to do a NFA Trust, to have a SBR in Illinois?  
Or is it just easier to go with the NFA Trust?

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JSzabo:

Depends on if your CLEO will sign off or not. I just went and he mine signed it without even blinking. Some have problems getting them signed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By full_metal_jacket:

Depends on if your CLEO will sign off or not. I just went and he mine signed it without even blinking. Some have problems getting them signed.

Ohh.  Ok I'm in DuPage anyone have problems?  I'm in unincorporated DuPage.  So the Sheriff is my CLEO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Just sent off my c&r app, should I buy the stripped lower now so I can put the serial number on the form 1?

Also, should I email the chief of police to ask if he will sign off on the form 1?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#9]

Ohh.  Ok I'm in DuPage anyone have problems?  I'm in unincorporated DuPage.  So the Sheriff is my CLEO.

im in dupage and i went with the trust route. i didnt even ask because i figured we are so close to chicago they wouldnt sign it.

Originally Posted By robb01:
Just sent off my c&r app, should I buy the stripped lower now so I can put the serial number on the form 1?

Also, should I email the chief of police to ask if he will sign off on the form 1?

thats what i did. they do ask for length of barrel and over all length though. so fill that in with what you "hope" it will be. im not sure thats totally legal to guess the length but its your call.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Applied for C&R on 4/13 and received my C&R FFL yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:57:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSzabo] [#11]

im in dupage and i went with the trust route. i didnt even ask because i figured we are so close to chicago they wouldnt sign it.

Originally Posted By robb01:

thats what i did. they do ask for length of barrel and over all length though. so fill that in with what you "hope" it will be. im not sure thats totally legal to guess the length but its your call.

I'm going to try the Sheriff.  I always have the trust way then.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to try the Sheriff.  I always have the trust way then.

you're still gonna have to get 2 sets of finger prints and pictures.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Got my C&R!!! Just to clarify, I'm going to send to the ATF:

Copy of C&R FFL

2 copies of Form 1 - Printed front and back

2 copies of trust including schedule A

2 copies of certification of compliance

Check for $200

Missing anything?

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Got excited then letdown today.
Letter came from the ATF today, but no stamp.
Had two boxes that needed to be clarified and returned.
Box 4e, I had 7-13", which is a no-go.  Has to be one specified barrel length only.
On the fingerprint card, I had POB (place of birth) listed as USA (which is what the example had ), but you need to specify the state.

That's it!  Forms are updated, initialed, dated, and will be back in the mail tomorrow.
I think  I've read that errors/edits are relatively quick turnarounds, so the wait might be short.
Won't be long now........
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Stopper:
Got excited then letdown today.
Letter came from the ATF today, but no stamp.
Had two boxes that needed to be clarified and returned.
Box 4e, I had 7-13", which is a no-go.  Has to be one specified barrel length only.
On the fingerprint card, I had POB (place of birth) listed as USA (which is what the example had ), but you need to specify the state.

That's it!  Forms are updated, initialed, dated, and will be back in the mail tomorrow.
I think  I've read that errors/edits are relatively quick turnarounds, so the wait might be short.
Won't be long now........

Should be a month.. give or take a week
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I just called to asked the status of my form 1s and they went pending on May 1.  Sent early February.    She told me they are running full 9 months from date of pending.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Sent in all paperwork with my Trust on 7/5/2013.  I was able to get a sign off from the sheriff in will county but I showed up to the courthouse to get it signed 5 times with no one available to sign for him or he was busy in a meeting so I went the trust route, less info they have the better right.  Going for a SBR form 1.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Update:

I sent in my 5320.20 along with a copy of my C&R license so that I can transport my SBR's to a private range in Illinois. I signed and mailed it on April 12, and I finally got it back today, 3 months later!

Can't wait to shoot my AR and MP5 SBR's in the Land of Lincoln.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
Applied for C&R on 4/13 and received my C&R FFL yesterday.
View Quote

Fild my form 1 for my sbr on 10/1/12 and received my tax stamp yesterday. Finally!
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
i should really call to see if im pending
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
how would i fill out my form 1 if i have a LMT CQB MRP that i can change barrels out on? i have the stock 16" on it now.i've read a ton on info on it, just wondering it it would change it at all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#22]
just register the lower as an SBR with the smallest barrel you will put in it
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Who did you guys get to do your trusts?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FileForge:
Who did you guys get to do your trusts?
View Quote

did it myself with quicken will maker.

just called the atf yesterday. i went pending may 31st
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Great thread & info.  Does anyone have any direct experience with getting Will County to sign off on the forms?  I live in unincorporated Frankfort and am very interested in pursuing this.  Would love any info anyone can provide!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Bit confused here.  I had a conversation with the ATF about this and was told I could NOT have the trust "own" the firearm since the C&R license was in my name.  The agent said I had to engrave the lower with my name as it appears on my Form 1.  

I'm not sure what you guys are doing that you are able to simply engrave the trust name on the firearm.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
How are you guys approaching your CLEO?
What are you saing to get them to sign?
I want to ask mine but not sure on what or even how to approach him about wanting to own an SBR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By crazytank7:
How are you guys approaching your CLEO?
What are you saing to get them to sign?
I want to ask mine but not sure on what or even how to approach him about wanting to own an SBR.
View Quote

Called him up and asked if he would fingerprint me and sign off on the Form 1.
He had no issue at all printing or signing.
I was the first one making the request, and he did ask that I bring in my approved paperwork when I got it back so he could check it out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gotfish:
Great thread & info.  Does anyone have any direct experience with getting Will County to sign off on the forms?  I live in unincorporated Frankfort and am very interested in pursuing this.  Would love any info anyone can provide!  Thanks!
View Quote

I'm interested too my c&r should be in any day. I'm in unincorporated Frankfort township too
Anybody got the Will county sherif to sign a form or should I open a trust?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By paulg26:

I'm interested too my c&r should be in any day. I'm in unincorporated Frankfort township too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By paulg26:

Curious as well, I wanna send off my c&r and start this process. I'm also in will county.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#31]
With the recent change in NFA Trust laws requiring fingerprints and the like, I figure at this point I might just see if the Kane County Sherriff will sign off, and if so just go the direct route instead of setting up a trust.

Anyone else just skipped a NFA Trust and gone to the Kane County Sherriff?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:
With the recent change in NFA Trust laws requiring fingerprints and the like, I figure at this point I might just see if the Kane County Sherriff will sign off, and if so just go the direct route instead of setting up a trust.

Anyone else just skipped a NFA Trust and gone to the Kane County Sherriff?
View Quote

i dont think the changes are offical yet...
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#33]
It's like Christmas in September!!

Got my stamp in the mail today!!

Mailed January 10
Pending July 29
Approved August 28
Received September 6

As a lifelong IL resident, I never thought the day would happen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Congrats!!! Where are you from?  Did you do the trust thing or go the other way?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#35]
So here is a quick Illinois SBR question. I sent in my F1 in Feb. I called once in July just to check and found out it went pending in early April. Some orher folks with Feb submissions have been getting stamps so I broke down and called in today. This time instead of getting a response about the date it went pending, the gentleman told me "that one should be completed in the next 60 days." Do they now have a magical way of knowing, or is it approved now and the 60 days he was talking about is the final processing time? Any thoughts? I gotta be close.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Congrats!!! Where are you from?  Did you do the trust thing or go the other way?
View All Quotes

I'm in Stephenson County, and because the Sheriff had no issue signing my form 1 and printing me, I went that route.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm in Stephenson County, and because the Sheriff had no issue signing my form 1 and printing me, I went that route.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the reply.  And again, congrats! I'm anxious to talk to someone who has done the same thing here in Will Co.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a bit confused on one thing.  I have a trust and I have a C&R.  Can those of you who got approved on either a form 1 or form 4 and went the trust route tell me whether you included your C&R number on the form 1 or form 4.  I know a trust cannot hold a C&R and have heard different views on whether the Form 1 or 4 should list the C&R or whether a copy of the C & R should just be sent along with all of the other paperwork.  

This is all new to me and I really appreciate any assistance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Mailed January 10
Pending July 29
Approved August 28
Received September 6

View Quote

wtf. i went pending may 31st and i havent got shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Mailed January 10
Pending July 29
Approved August 28
Received September 6

View Quote

That's pretty quick....hoping to go pending myself before they change the law, Mailed 07/28
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jblankster] [#41]

^^^ to the above! change what law?

Anyway,

So I'm looking at building an AR pistol.

The pistol lower will ALWAYS be a pistol lower (plan to ccw carry it in the trunk of my car occasionally)

I now am more interested in doing a sbr build aswell. Basically I will interchange the upper on the pistol between the 2 (legally obviously)

So can I build a complete pistol, hen build a complete lower to have registered as the SBR and then once everything is good go ahead and interchange accordingly?

Or can I not have the upper  at all?
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jblankster:

^^^ to the above! change what law?

Anyway,

So I'm looking at building an AR pistol.

The pistol lower will ALWAYS be a pistol lower (plan to ccw carry it in the trunk of my car occasionally)

I now am more interested in doing a sbr build aswell. Basically I will interchange the upper on the pistol between the 2 (legally obviously)

So can I build a complete pistol, hen build a complete lower to have registered as the SBR and then once everything is good go ahead and interchange accordingly?

Or can I not have the upper  at all?
View Quote

I think he's referring to them trying to do away with the Trust system and the NFA...something about background checks blah blah blah more liberal retardation.

And yes, you can have the pistol AR and swap it's upper onto the registered lower once the paperwork is all approved and back to you from the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Boom, done. I'm going to build a pistol ar (upper and lower) and a SBR lower!

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jblankster] [#44]
Oh yeah, so I keep hearing you can't register a c&r with a trust?

I want to do this the right way.

Going to set up a trust,

Apply for c&r with the trust name (not my own?)

Once approved fill out form 1 and wait?

Is it really this simple? Will the SBR need to be recorded like other c&r guns?

I hear the cook county sheriff signs off on the C&R permits? Who exactly? Would a sign off just be easier and not need a trust then?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Going to set up a trust,

I hear the cook county sheriff signs off on the C&R permits? Who exactly? Would a sign off just be easier and not need a trust then?
View Quote

i just got my rejection letter from the NFA saying this exact thing. The only explanation was on 2 sticky notes.

note 1: cannot use 03 FFL if applying as a trust. 03 license is under name "last name, first name", an individual. not registered w/ trust.
note 2: the application is VOID unless you wish to apply as an individual and submit new forms.

im so confused.

also it was dated oct 3rd which was 3 days into the shutdown...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#46]
What says we can't create a trust, and the C&R under our name? And do the sbr under the trust. We still own both the C&R and trust right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#47]

i just got my rejection letter from the NFA saying this exact thing. The only explanation was on 2 sticky notes.

note 1: cannot use 03 FFL if applying as a trust. 03 license is under name "last name, first name", an individual. not registered w/ trust.

note 2: the application is VOID unless you wish to apply as an individual and submit new forms.

im so confused.

View All Quotes

Going to set up a trust,

im so confused.

Who was the examiner?

I called yesterday and was told it went to Nicole Dudash on Sept 26th for review.  went pending on May 15th.  It was done with the trust...keeping my fingers crossed
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I thought there were a few guys that got stamps with a trust. If that's not the case mine will be denied soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#49]
For those of you that successfully used a trust, did you include your C&R # on the form 1?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Samal:
Who was the examiner?

I called yesterday and was told it went to Nicole Dudash on Sept 26th for review.  went pending on May 15th.  It was done with the trust...keeping my fingers crossed
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Samal:
Who was the examiner?

probably nicole. my error letter was addressed to "07" which is her.

Originally Posted By ds1:
For those of you that successfully used a trust, did you include your C&R # on the form 1?

just from my experience, i would advise against it.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top