Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 9:59:12 AM EDT
The training requirements for concealed carry concerning military records is very vague. Basically it says if you have a DD-214 that states an honorable discharge in the last three years it says nothing about it reflecting handgun training but if it is more than three years you need to have handgun training listed on the  DD form? I personally had hand gun training when I was in but they failed to list it on my form when my ETS came.  I was in the IRR until 12/02 when I received my honorable discharge certificate. The Arapohe officer incharge of permits is supposed to get back to me on this?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess know one knows?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
well, 12/02 puts you at less than three years, so you should be good to go.

If there's no documentation in your jacket of your handgun training, you'll either have to take a training class, or get affidavits from your old crew in the military certifying that you've had handgun certification and probably explaining why it wasn't in your jacket.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Trying to get something added to your 214 after discharge may take an act of congress. I assume that your home unit never did their job when it came to the proper upkeed and or maintanence of qualifications and such. Neither of my expert badges showed up on mine, as well as several other things.

Army Personell will have to find your old unit clerk and hope he kept your records. If they were sent off for storage they may never be seen again.

Now if you were CID or an MP you'd be okay. Some MOS codes might save you, but I doubt it. If your unit is local it may be worth your time to go back there directly and ask yourself.

If not, then sign up for a class. Back in 1986 when I was between police jobs I took a job as a security guard. The city wouldn't take my CSPD training academy or quarterly qualification scores as proof of training. I had to go to an NRA pistol course. More of our tax dollars at work.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top