Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:30 AM EDT
I figure that I have saved 100 cigarettes from going up in smoke this week. The cravings get pretty strong about midnight, but during the day I do just fine. Yesterday Bunny lit up and I was about ready to go nuts so I stole a dip from EOP. I got such a headrush that the second that they walked out of the shop I ditched that thing, I ended up getting caught by KA3B...as I was just about ready to yack...He just looks over at me and says...

You look pretty green under the gills there ya bitch.

I sure hope that this is the time that quitting cold turkey works...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck!

Unfortunately I keep falling off the wagon. Its tough when most of the people around you smoke.

I will quit those damn things some day!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't smoke at all.  Unless of course I'm around ARFcomers.  Just ask Bunny and Tumble.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I quit for 6 months once...... Then I got a divorce
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Hope it works this time.

I made a resolution to quit this year and cold turkey is going to be the only way. It won't be a pretty sight but I know I can overcome this nasty habit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hope it works this time.

I made a resolution to quit this year and cold turkey is going to be the only way. It won't be a pretty sight but I know I can overcome this nasty habit.

I'll stop by this afternoon to help you finish off your smokes!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
This might be one of the 8 times it takes, so don't kill yourself quitting...

I quit for 5 weeks about 3 years ago.
Woke up and didn't light up for 5 weeks.
I found out that the ONLY way for me to quit is to not start smoking in the morning.  That's it.
I'm waiting for that morning to arrive again.  It'll happen.

Good Luck in your attempt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice work, man!

It'll be two years this August for me.  For what it's worth, it gets easier - but that first month is a nutbuster.

It's not exactly profound, but just remember that you don't have to be strong about it all day long.  All you really gotta do is be strong for the 10 to 15 minutes that a craving lasts.  After that, you can catch your breath and get ready for the next craving.

And even after all these months, I'm still coughing up crap out of my lungs.  It's worth quitting.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And even after all these months, I'm still coughing up crap out of my lungs.  It's worth quitting.  Good luck!

No kidding, I have noticed that when I get into the hot shower, I have started coughing pretty good the last couple days...Looks like lung tissue or something..

I guess it is part of the Detox..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Your just have to keep making the effort for a while longer. You'll be better off in the long run, healthwise and financewise.

As long as your not coughing up pink or reddish fluffy looking stuff it ain't lung tissue. The lumps of coal are just your imagination.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Cold turkey worked for me.

I have been smoke free for about 12-13-14 years ??

Best of luck R-32. The day will come when you look back at this time & think to yourself ..... 'that's the smartest thing I ever did'
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Best of luck R-32. The day will come when you look back at this time & think to yourself ..... 'that's the smartest thing I ever did'

Thanks,

I hope I do get to say that someday, cuz everyday I make sure to let myself know about all of the stupid stuff I have done in the past.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just for you R-32.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Good Luck You Can Do It!

Check with your health care provider, most HMO's have plans to help members quit.  (I work for an HMO and we have a stop smoking program with patches and oral medications for members)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's how I did it 30 some years ago. It wasn't easy and you have to be motivated. I quit cold turkey and it took a couple tries before I suceeded. I was in the army just back from Viet Nam and stationed at Ft. Lewis. I was the company armorer so all I had to do all day long was sit on my ass in the arms room every day and smoke cigarettes. I was also training in karate at the time and I was burning out in class. Those Camels were kicking me in the chest! I had to make a decision, either quit smoking or quit karate. The training was too hard and I couldn't do both. So that was my motivation. Here's how I did it.
I always kept a pack of gum with me at all times, 24/7. I kept a cigarette pack with one cigarette in it. On this one cigarette I stuck a note on it reminding me that I quit. I then rolled some clear tape around the cigarette making it unsuable so I couldn't smoke it. As soon as I would unconsiously pull the cigarette out to lite up I would see the note reminding me that I quit and I would then pop a stick of chewing gum in my mouth instead. It took about 4 months for the cravings to go away. I haven't smoked a cigarette since then. I do smoke a cigar once in a while but I'm like Bill Klinton, I don't inhale! You can try this and see if it helps you. It ain't easy but it worked for me. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quitters never win
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Take it one day at a time, it does get easier.  I was a 3 pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey 9 years ago. Took 3 weeks for the really bad urges for a smoke to go away. But I still pat my shirt pocket sometimes looking for that smoke, even after 9 years.  But I'll never go back to smoking, NEVER!!

Diamondback

A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top