Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 12:16:46 PM EDT
So, I'm stuck up here in the wilds of Cave Creek where cable will never happen. What I've been stuck with so far is Qwest (puke, gag) where I have to use their land line service in order to get their DSL. This arrangement pretty much sucks ass both from a service and an economic standpoint.

Anybody know of a RELIABLE wireless high speed internet setup that reaches up here so I can ditch my house land line (for which I have no use other than to receive solicitations form the AZ Repugnant) and rid my life of Qwest forever?

Thanks in advance.

SD
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont know if verizon's wwan is up that far north but i just got it last night.  its bad ass.  im posting this from dobson and baseline in a parking lot.  speed is good, price is a little steep without a voice plan through there.  i consider the service priceless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Get NetStumbler and see if any of your neighbors has an unsecure WiFi access point.  j/k

You may be boned. Like TopCrest said, Verizon's wireless broadband may be an option, but it is a bit pricey, and if you are planning anything beyond web surfing and e-mail (such as online games), you won't like the performance.

I can understand how you feel about Qwest -- I used to work for them. I helped open their DSL support center (I was a tier 3 engineer and helped write the support manual for their ADSL service), and it all went to shit when they started hiring contractors. Not that contractors can't do the job, it's just that there is such high turnover in that sort of environment that no one has any real experience, and combine that with the classic don't-give-a-shit telco attitude, it's no wonder customer support sucks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The wilds of Cave Creek, eh?!?! I envy you!!  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Verizon wireless in my work laptop and it hasn't failed me yet in that part of town. Radio Shack also sell an antenna that will plug into the wireless card for better reception. I have had good luck with the Verizon. I lost contact just a few times in the past year while using it. That usually happened down in a mine or in some of the valleys behind Black Canyon City. I don't pay for it so I don't know what it costs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops, double tap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done satellite for many years.  Pricey but fast and dependable.  No landline.  Hughes just toook it over from direcpc and direcway and are a bit more difficult to deal with.  But it started out as the same system as directv.  www.hughesnet.com for their story. But, they do work anywhere in the USA that you can point a dish at the southern sky, including Cave Creek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top