Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 7:07:02 PM EDT
can I take a 20 round M1A magazine and convert it to only hold 10 rounds, and use it legally?

this is PRK so I should know the answer, but....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure you can but why not just buy 10rd mags? Cheaper Than Dirt (bastards) sells Springfield 10rd mags for 10 bucks a pop. You can't go wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
if yoiu already have a 20...  why u wanna do this.. its not illegal to own
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to put it onto a M1A with a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm sure you can but why not just buy 10rd mags? Cheaper Than Dirt (bastards) sells Springfield 10rd mags for 10 bucks a pop. You can't go wrong with that.

Are you sure CTD will ship 10rd mags to CA?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
20, 30, and even 100 round magazines are not illegal to own or use in California. You're not to bring them here as that's illegal but if they're here already - and been here since 2000 you're fine. The M1A isn't a dangerous mean old baby killing assualt weapon at all. The politicians concider you basically unarmed and a safe sane person when you own a M1A.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Weapons/UnarmedinCalifornia.jpg

Some of my 20 round magazines on display.

Can mags that have been in the state be transfered/sold to in-state residents?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
20, 30, and even 100 round magazines are not illegal to own or use in California. You're not to bring them here as that's illegal but if they're here already - and been here since 2000 you're fine. The M1A isn't a dangerous mean old baby killing assualt weapon at all. The politicians concider you basically unarmed and a safe sane person when you own a M1A.

No.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure CTD will ship 10rd mags to CA?

Bastard!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

u could do alot of damage with a m1a.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Correction: yes, to be used as replacement parts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I need a time machine
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

thats the thing, im getting a M1A that is out of state, so it has not been here since 2000, but I have been planning on getting one for so long, I have been collecting 20 rounders where ever I came across them in 2000, but how can I prove this? the whole point is of course I would like to use 20 RD magazines but am scared of the POPO, I find it difficult to use my chest harness fumbling around digging for those 10 rounders that are all the way down at the bottom of the pouch, if I could use 20 rounders like the chest rig was designed to use this would be much easier, soo I figured either I get some new gear that is designed to be used with 10 round mags, or a 20 roung magazine that holds only 10 would fit my gear properly, meet the criteria to live by the laws of the PRK, and allow faster reloads, due to the proper fit..

am I buggin here
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It's up to the DOJ to prove you got them illegally.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the thing, im getting a M1A that is out of state, so it has not been here since 2000, but I have been planning on getting one for so long, I have been collecting 20 rounders where ever I came across them in 2000, but how can I prove this? the whole point is of course I would like to use 20 RD magazines but am scared of the POPO, I find it difficult to use my chest harness fumbling around digging for those 10 rounders that are all the way down at the bottom of the pouch, if I could use 20 rounders like the chest rig was designed to use this would be much easier, soo I figured either I get some new gear that is designed to be used with 10 round mags, or a 20 roung magazine that holds only 10 would fit my gear properly, meet the criteria to live by the laws of the PRK, and allow faster reloads, due to the proper fit..

am I buggin here

Woah. You are buying an out of state M1A. To be legally purchased in this state it has to have a muzzle brake on it. No flash hider. The only M1A's in CA that legally have a flash hider had to be registered in the original ban.

So if your M1A is legal it therefore has a muzzle brake and can use hi cap mags. Like Paul's above.

What's the problem? Use high caps. Nobody is going to ask about date of purchase.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

am I buggin here

Woah. You are buying an out of state M1A. To be legally purchased in this state it has to have a muzzle brake on it. No flash hider. The only M1A's in CA that legally have a flash hider had to be registered in the original ban.

So if your M1A is legal it therefore has a muzzle brake and can use hi cap mags. Like Paul's above.

What's the problem? Use high caps. Nobody is going to ask about date of purchase.

soo lemme get this straight, (and remember people I live in the PRK, and like you, before I knew I asked.) I buy my polytech M1A with a brake installed, and use my 20 rounders without fear of persecution? what about 30 and 100 rounders then? It cant be true this is the PRK
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
It's true.

ETA just make sure those very conspicuous 30 and 100 rd mags do not have a date of manufacture after the ban. Late mags would be bad. And a c-mag will draw attention.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Step 1 Do NOTHING NOTHING stupid.  This is being defined as bringing any magazines (or irlfes for that matter) to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

Step 2 Memorize Step 1

Step 3 It is illegal to buy/sell/import hi-cap magazines. Possession and use of mags legally acquired before the ban is perfectly ok.

Step 4 - Returning to step 1 for a refresher, I would probably be hard pressed to come up with a believable story about how I bought a bunch of mags for a gun several years before I bought a rifle. Say hi-cap M-1A or M-14 mags and you didn't get an M-1A  until 5 years after the mags were banned.

Or maybe a bunch of 30 rounders with green or orange followers.  Might want to save your receipt for the followers to show you rebuilt the mags.

Realistically nobody is going to look at your mags unless you and your collection is being examined in conjunction with a search warrant or search in conjunction with an arrest.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
can I take a 20 round M1A magazine and convert it to only hold 10 rounds, and use it legally?

this is PRK so I should know the answer, but....

Wait a minute.  Your question is about an M1A and your post count is 308.  
How did you do that?!?!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the thing, im getting a M1A that is out of state, so it has not been here since 2000, but I have been planning on getting one for so long, I have been collecting 20 rounders where ever I came across them before 2000, but how can I prove this? the whole point is of course I would like to use 20 RD magazines but am scared of the POPO, I find it difficult to use my chest harness fumbling around digging for those 10 rounders that are all the way down at the bottom of the pouch, if I could use 20 rounders like the chest rig was designed to use this would be much easier, soo I figured either I get some new gear that is designed to be used with 10 round mags, or a 20 roung magazine that holds only 10 would fit my gear properly, meet the criteria to live by the laws of the PRK, and allow faster reloads, due to the proper fit..

am I buggin here

Fixed it for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top