Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 2:58:46 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong and for being a newbie in this forum. I am having trouble understanding the term Assault Weapon. If I have a legal lower receiver, remains a  stripped lower, and gets listed later on as a ban weapon, does that now constitute an assault weapon? How can a lower receiver be called an assault weapon much less a weapon if it is just a lower receiver?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How can a lower receiver be called an assault weapon much less a weapon if it is just a lower receiver?

Because it is. It doesn't have to be logical. The law is the law. Can you buy a lower reciever from a FFL in NY and have him mail it to you? No. Can you buy a lower reciever straight from Stag and have them mail it to you? No. Its both a Federal and a State law, DEAL WITH IT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong and for being a newbie in this forum. I am having trouble understanding the term Assault Weapon. If I have a legal lower receiver, remains a  stripped lower, and gets listed later on as a ban weapon, does that now constitute an assault weapon? How can a lower receiver be called an assault weapon much less a weapon if it is just a lower receiver?

The lower receiver is where the serial number is stamped, this is the federally controlled part.  Even if they remain paperweights, they're still considered guns, weird, but true.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Get used to things being screwy in the world of guns. What the State of CA calls an AW will send some guys here into terminal hissy fits because it disagrees with their definition of an AW.  The main thing you really need to care about is the legal definition and legal requirements for what YOU want to do.  What somebody else calls something doesn't matter.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong and for being a newbie in this forum. I am having trouble understanding the term Assault Weapon. If I have a legal lower receiver, remains a  stripped lower, and gets listed later on as a ban weapon, does that now constitute an assault weapon?

Yes, it does.  Once it is listed, it is "defined" as an assault weapon.  The lower receiver is the serialized/controlled component, thus it becomes an assault weapon when they list it.  That's the way the law is written.  

How can a lower receiver be called an assault weapon much less a weapon if it is just a lower receiver?

See my response, above.  Once it is listed it is an assault weapon.  Once it is an assault weapon, you are free to install as many evil "features" as you want except for: "sniperscopes", ".50BMG" upper receivers, ...

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
A stripped lower reciever is an assualt weapon because when you are not looking it will assemble itself, load it's own mags and become a bullet hose.

That's why you have to bring a CA DOJ approved lock when you pick it up from your FFL and why you have to keep it in a safe when you get home.

That's the only reason that makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top